Club 1872, their Masterplan & the Daily Record

Same as many here, been paying £11.25 since the beginning have no idea what has become of that in all honesty, I take it was used to buy shares.
If I go for the legacy does my monthly sub go up to £20 or is it £20 + my £11.25.
When I depart this mortal coil hopefully not any time soon :D is their anything to leave to my family like a share certificate?
This is probably the best place to start - then follow their link to the FAQs.;)

Club 1872 Legacy | Club 1872

Years ago on follow follow, people where encouraged to buy into a fans group. In return you would officially own a share in rangers. I done it at the time but for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the fan group. Must have been around mid 2000s. Anyway, my point is, fan ownership was encouraged so what's changed?

What would broadly speaking the % of Kings ,Board Members, Club 1872, and others share now and after any purchase
And please no more supping withe the Rebel.

I'm feeling a bit uneasy about it to be honest.
The fact Club 1872 feel it's acceptable to invite those bastards to the
briefing, quite frankly disgusts me.
I’m still unsure if there was an actual ‘briefing’ with folk in attendance. It all read to me like a generic Press Release to the media in general. Not an invited audience.

Neither the club nor the fans have succeeded in attempts to challenge the media. Efforts have had absolutely no impact. It's time to change tact. It's also time that fans realised that being militant from the sidelines is great - actually being in a position where you can influence things involves compromise and it requires that people can make pragmatic decisions.
I agree with tbis but I would also say that as a whole theres no real upside playing nice with the DR. if we win the league this year and it goes tits up for Lawwell then the DR will be left with a cosy relationship with a cluster %^*& of a club. I'd play the long game and tell them to %^*& off.

After yesterday’s announcement by Club 1872 that they are looking to purchase a significant shareholding without giving a penny of the money to The Club I didn’t think they could surprise me more.

However having learned that they invited the Daily Record to their press/media briefing I am
Utterly astonished. Club 1872 have, for years, fought an honourable and justifiable fight against said arse rag and urged its members and the wider Rangers support to boycott it. Those actions yesterday are a complete slap in the face to everyone of us that have backed their fight.
Are you sure there wss a press briefing as such? If so could you post link

I don't care who C1872 have engaged with regarding the release of this announcement.

Personally I would like to see improved relations with the media but that is for another thread.

What I am interested in is -

1. If there is a possibility of C1872 raising the funds required to acquire all DKs shares.
2. What the next steps would be if C1872 managed to achieve a 25% + 1 shareholding.
3. How can C1872 earn greater trust of the entire Rangers support.
4. What is DKs back up plan is C1872 can't buy all his shares.
5. How do the other major shareholders feel about this.
6. How this improves Rangers future ability to have a sustainable business model.

I don't care who C1872 have engaged with regarding the release of this announcement.

Personally I would like to see improved relations with the media but that is for another thread.

1. If there is a possibility of C1872 raising the funds required to acquire all DKs shares.
2. What the next steps would be if C1872 managed to achieve a 25% + 1 shareholding.
6. How this improves Rangers future ability to have a sustainable business model.
Chances are the 25% share holding will be further diluted as its likely new share issues will be required in the next 2-3 years.

I personally don't see why this has garnered so much anxiousness and ill feeling.

Regardless of who buys the shares the £13 million won't be going directly to the club it'll be to Dave King, Club 1872 or private.

Regarding concerns on transfers and other clubs knowing "our every move", its specifically stated "Club 1872 is a major shareholder but is not directly involved in the day to day running of the club."

Infighting is normal amongst supporters and society in general. With 20,000 (or less if they do not achieve this target), it will be a democracy and each every decision will go to the higher percentage of votes.

Members will also elect the directors, who's duties will include choosing an appropriate candidate to represent the group on the clubs board.

Surely all of the above equates to far less risk than a private investor coming on board?

Points 1 and 2 are addressed on the Club 1872 website - there’s links to their FAQ and Phase 1 and Phase 2 plans earlier in the thread. Point 5 is, kinda, addressed by the fact that the media release says the current Board have agreed both Club 1872 and King can take part in new share issues.

3,4 and 6 are unknowns at this stage.

C1872 have a massive challenge.

In order to sign up 20k members they need as wide an audience as possibLe.

Sometimes needs must.

I hope they succeed but as yet I’m far from convinced.

Points 1 and 2 are addressed on the Club 1872 website - there’s links to their FAQ and Phase 1 and Phase 2 plans earlier in the thread. Point 5 is, kinda, addressed by the fact that the media release says the current Board have agreed both Club 1872 and King can take part in new share issues.

3,4 and 6 are unknowns at this stage.

Thanks VB. I never really saw it when I looked first time. So I suppose 1 and 2 are covered by the bold below.

Going back to point 5 though. Would still like to hear from the key Rangers investors. I think there may be a concern that £13.2 is going to DK and not Rangers. Also on a personal level - they have put in a lot too and may be wondering if they will ever get a chance of getting some of their investment back like DK is here.

1. A Club 1872 legacy donation is a £500 donation to Club 1872 Shares CIC, which will initially be used to purchase the 66 million shares currently held by New Oasis Asset Ltd on behalf of Dave King. So they are looking for 26,400 donations of £500 to buy the 66m shares @ 20p / share (£13.2m), That is a really massive ask knowing that the cash is going to DK (and I don't think anyone can grudge him it) and not to Rangers FC.

2. This will ensure that no major decisions can be taken about the future of Rangers without the consent of Club 1872. Once that target is reached, members can decide to either maintain the shareholding at that level or seek to increase it.
It is enshrined in the Articles of Club 1872 that the organisation will always work of for the benefit of Rangers Football Club and the community of Rangers supporters. Club 1872 will at all times seek to work constructively with Rangers, even when it is necessary to challenge or question decisions. Club 1872 will develop and grow the formal relationship between the supporters and the club - seeking to strengthen the bond that already exists in a way which gives supporters a meaningful say in the major decisions about the club.

If getting the DR to the PC means that more bears are aware and can sign up, then I have no problem. Use them as we can. Doesn't mean we can't criticise them in future, nor that the club need to allow them to anything

After yesterday’s announcement by Club 1872 that they are looking to purchase a significant shareholding without giving a penny of the money to The Club I didn’t think they could surprise me more.

However having learned that they invited the Daily Record to their press/media briefing I am
Utterly astonished. Club 1872 have, for years, fought an honourable and justifiable fight against said arse rag and urged its members and the wider Rangers support to boycott it. Those actions yesterday are a complete slap in the face to everyone of us that have backed their fight.
How do you know they spoke to the Daily Record?
Did you read it?
Did you buy it?
Did you click on the link?

The only down side for me is we are losing a man of Dave Kings calibre from the club. His shrewd and incisive mind will be a huge miss.

This is the way I see it, correct me if I am wrong.

Dave King could recoup on the region of £25M if the shares were sold for market price. That money goes to Dave King, not the club. DK has opted to give the best and largest Rangers fans group a chance to buy his shares at a discount of roughly half prices. This is a no brainer if sufficient funds can be raised.

I cannot understand why people would be against this. For years there has been calls for more fan ownership, and when a genuine chance arises people don't want it because a few people have fallen out with each other?

Every other large fan base would be exactly the same, its the nature of people. Surely we can organise and overcome a few minor squabbles and grasp this fantastic chance to have a real say in how our great club is run.
Whats your source for stating that DK could double his money if his shares were sold for market price?

Whats your source for stating that DK could double his money if his shares were sold for market price?

My source is Dave King;

"I have agreed therefore to transfer my shares to Club 1872 at my historical cash cost of acquisition (which includes professional fees) and to allow Club 1872 a period of three years to build up the supporter backing that will be necessary to achieve this. My all-in cost is 23.7p per share and I am willing to put a pricing structure in place that accommodates 20p as the initial price to be consistent with the present share issue and, at Club 1872’s request, I have included an option for Club 1872 to buy all of the shares at 20p which would result in a loss to me. In my view the shares are presently worth in excess of 50p if properly valued."

Raising 13 million should it happen should be going to the club. Another scenario is should they be successful and get a seat at the board and we need funds to either buy a player or indeed pay for the rest of the season, are Club 1872 going to pony up or is it going to be left for the actual investors? There's no sustainability with this idea. Countries who have this model, iirc Germany have it, have a huge TV deal to offset it.

Then more shares could be issued. If King feels its time to go I get that and will be thankful, forever, for what he done but for a Rangers supporters group to choose to pay £13m to an individual rather than directly to The Club doesn’t sit at all well with me.

Buying Ashley’s shares most definitely didn’t give ‘nothing’ to The Club.
So more shares would be issued but then the shares would be diluted. King would still be selling his stake in the club, someone would still be buying them

That could be anyone.

Regardless whether C1872 buy DK shares or not, he's selling them. Why shouldn't the support buy them, the investors who put money into the club, got shares eventually in return for that investment. If C1872 want to put my money and others straight into the club as cash, then I would expect shares in return for that cash in the future in a share issue too. But DK shares will then go out to other buyers, maybe the whole lot of shares will go to a Bear who wants on the board. I would like at least some of the shares to go to the supporters, individually or in a group, I'm happy either way.

I don't want to be negative about this but this scares me 1872 having this much influence it could turn into a clique like most things in Scotland does and scare the people away. If 1872 had the shares instead of Dave King would they have attracted the likes of Steven Gerrard to the club. I hope i am wrong but this could make the club more insular to outside parties . It could make factions inside the club for what I have seen has been amateurish from 1872 are they going to communicate with all members to let them know what is the next move in the transfer market and let our competitors know our every move? I hope I am wrong because I have the best interests of the club at heart .Will they have millions to invest into the club? We need canny operators at our club and the evidence of 1872 suggests they are not.
I get what you are saying however won't that be the role of directors to make the major sporting decisions. I.e attract a high calibre manager after gerrard will be down to Douglas park/robertson/Ross Wilson etc. King feels that the current board is the best in 20 or 30 years and we have the foundations now to move forward. Having a majority shareholding will be a good thing if its feasible on club1872 part.

I think you might be too stupid to understand what's happening there.

think it is going to be a very hard sell for Club 1872.
Basically asking fans to make a donation of £500 which will be given to Dave King and allow Club 1872 to get his shares. No money goes into Rangers and no shares are given to the investor/donator.

I have been contributing to club 1872 since the beginning but wont be doing this.
What did you think was happening so far?

Seems to be a lot of confusion still about what's actually happening going by the replies on here.

My opinion is this:

I think it will be very difficult for C1872 to raise the £13m over the next 3 years for ALL of Dave King's shares.

I reckon they'll buy a chunk of DK's shares with whatever they've raised - roughly half would by my guess.

The rest of the shares will be bought up by wealthy Rangers fans who have already invested into the club.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but is there not another share issue on the horizon that will dilute the shareholding as it currently stands, thus meaning that even if C1872 buys all of King's shares in 3 years, they'd still not have enough shares for our club to be classed as 'fan owned' anyway?

We'll never be 'fan owned'.

Dave King owns those shares.

He is selling them to a fans group.

It's hardly newsworthy it isn't going to the club, it's obviously going to the guy who owns them.

Dave King selling them isn’t the point I’m making, in fact the point I’m making in this thread is about the hypocrisy of C1872.

Them thinking they can gather £13m and funding an individual rather than The Club is a discussion for the other thread but since you mentioned it, it’s gross stupidity.

Dave King selling them isn’t the point I’m making, in fact the point I’m making in this thread is about the hypocrisy of C1872.

Them thinking they can gather £13m and funding an individual rather than The Club is a discussion for the other thread but since you mentioned it, it’s gross stupidity.
Like I said I don't think you understand it.

I'm no expert and haven't read all the details but feel this could potentially put off investors in the future.
If I was a clued up businessman with the wealth to invest in the club, then I don't think I'd be happy having to run every major decision past a group of fans who can't even agree what newspapers they should be reading or radio stations they should be listening to.

Let me ask another question.

What do you want to happen instead and is it in any way realistic?

Let me ask another question.

What do you want to happen instead and is it in any way realistic?

IF a supporters group have £13m available I want them to engage with The Club and invest it to ensure The Club benefits financially. That is absolutely realistic.

IF a supporters group have £13m available I want them to engage with The Club and invest it to ensure The Club benefits financially. That is absolutely realistic.
The two aren't related. This is about buying a stake in the club not providing working capital, which isn't even possible.

No. I think it might have something against having a whip round and donating all the cash to the club bank account though. I'll ask again, what do you think should happen and how would that happen?

Am I missing something here? Who has suggested a whip round or donation to The Club?

I’ll answer, again. C1872 approach The Club saying they have £13m (or whatever the have) and would like to invest it for the return of shares. In the exact same was Stuart Gibson, for example, done. He gets shares, Rangers get money.

The current proposal, C1872 get shares, Dave King gets money.

No. I think it might have something against having a whip round and donating all the cash to the club bank account though. I'll ask again, what do you think should happen and how would that happen?

The club could make it possible though and offer shares the same way it offered shares the last 2 months

The two aren't related. This is about buying a stake in the club not providing working capital, which isn't even possible.

The 2 aren’t related if C1872 purchase shares from an individual. They become related if C1872 put the cash into The Club in return for the same amount of shares.

Am I missing something here? Who has suggested a whip round or donation to The Club?

I’ll answer, again. C1872 approach The Club saying they have £13m (or whatever the have) and would like to invest it for the return of shares. In the exact same was Stuart Gibson, for example, done. He gets shares, Rangers get money.

The current proposal, C1872 get shares, Dave King gets money.
Stuart purchased shares after a share issue. King is selling the shares he owns.

Back