Club being sued for £1.6m over Oz friendly

Or, how out of touch the “hardcore” support are.
What makes the “hardcore” correct?
Who are the “hardcore”?
Is their a qualifying criteria to become “hardcore” for all the club’s decisions have to be approved by said people.
If Australian based fans want to see a Rangers Celtic game live then they need to travel to Scotland to see it. Same way South American based fans, African based fans or North American based fans would have to do

I dont overly like the term “hardcore” however those that go week in, week out whether we play at Ibrox, away domestically or in Europe are more in-tune with fan feelings than fans based abroad who haven’t attended games in years. Is that not just common knowledge?

I think Australian based fans are owed a summer Pre season tour as an apology, so long as it’s anyone other than Celtic we play. I personally don’t know one person that goes to games regularly who supported the Sydney cup match against Celtic

I'm sure Celtic were going to get more money than Rangers out of it. Why signup to that,if that was the case.
By Celtic advertising it as a competition that they are primary beneficiaries of they changed the original contract that was signed. Surely even our board aren’t stupid enough to sign up for a competition advertised firstly as “Angy’s Homecoming “.

I appreciate everything you are saying buy my main point in having it both ways is that attacking the board for the friendly and insisting they cancel it, then attacking the board for the legal repercussions when they do just that, seems unfair to me. There was a lot of cancel at any costs statements at the time as well.
How’s that unfair? The criticism is just because they should’ve known better than to engage in the stupid idea. No?

I supported the Dundee protest and would’ve supported every single subsequent protest until the sham was cancelled. I wanted it cancelled at all costs.

I don’t think it’s hypocritical for me to criticise the board when it was them that got us into the mess that they then had to get us out of

our recent record in defending Litigation in Court is, even with the most positive spin possible, terrible!
We appear to be continually caught with our legal knickers around our ankles.

Our Legal Team need to up their game in determining potential outcomes from changes, updates or cancellations to clauses BEFORE we enter agreements, and our Board really need to be asking a lot more questions before signatures go on dotted lines. Just my humble view.

Maybe if one of the participants didn’t advertised us as being part of a competition known as “Angeys homecoming” before it was officially announced it might not have created the issues that arose. And all to continue a coverup that should be enough to ensure no club has to play that bastardised team.
I'm also sure I read that both us and them were to be paid the same to appear, but it would turn out that they would receive more than us.

No it’s all Kings fault etc.

Park Jnr runs a business with 850m revenue so he’s untouchable in any decision that gets made at Rangers.

Once again, the biggest source of income (the fans) get shafted again.
Think you will find there are several extremely intelligent people making a lot of the big decisions in Parks and Douglas won’t let anything serious be done without his prior Approval.

Ross is far more involved in the day to day Running than his brother.

So to say Graeme Park runs an 850 million pound business is pie in the sky.

These cases have nothing to do with the legal teams. The best lawyer in the world can't argue a company out of backing out of signed contracts. We employ executives at the club all on huge salaries and routinely end up in court due to incompetence and the decisions being made.

Wish folk would stop talking about 2012 and them having a financial advantage over us. Its complete nonsense. We as fans have been putting far more into the club than that lot over the last few years and have got far more in European prize money yet they can outspend us because of incompetence like this and the sports direct settlement.

Be the best 1.6m we’ve ever spent.
I don’t want my club going and playing games v that mob that we don’t need to. I told Robertson that when I seen him. He probably thought I was wrong.

Maybe if one of the participants didn’t advertised us as being part of a competition known as “Angeys homecoming” before it was officially announced it might not have created the issues that arose. And all to continue a coverup that should be enough to ensure no club has to play that bastardised team.

This will play a big part. The organisers and beggars led with this as some kind of selling point. Added fuel to the fire.

I'm also sure I read that both us and them were to be paid the same to appear, but it would turn out that they would receive more than us.
That's my memory too. I think the official reason for pulling out was a breach of contract on the part of the organisers. I think this was hinted at but it was, publicaly at least, about when and how the organisers publicised it.

I find the timing strange, they could have sued us ages ago. Why didn't they do this when we withdrew? Or at least once a replacement team was confirmed

How’s that unfair? The criticism is just because they should’ve known better than to engage in the stupid idea. No?

I supported the Dundee protest and would’ve supported every single subsequent protest until the sham was cancelled. I wanted it cancelled at all costs.

I don’t think it’s hypocritical for me to criticise the board when it was them that got us into the mess that they then had to get us out of
Completely agree. The board signed this off. It would have been presented to them as a marketing / money making scheme and they failed to see how the fans would perceive it. That's the biggest worry for me - that they are so out of touch.

It's unfair because I believe the tournament was organised in good faith, for extra income and to enhance the club and squad, which is what every fan want's. They misread the room.

They listened to the the protests and pulled out knowing the possible implications.

To then pile on again is unfair imo. They will no doubt get it in the neck with lack of transfers next window as well, and I'd go back to my original point.

I never mentioned hypocricy, just I think it's unfair.

That's my memory too. I think the official reason for pulling out was a breach of contract on the part of the organisers. I think this was hinted at but it was, publicaly at least, about when and how the organisers publicised it.

I find the timing strange, they could have sued us ages ago. Why didn't they do this when we withdrew? Or at least once a replacement team was confirmed

I'd guess because the tournament is now over and legally we have now breached the contract by not turning up.

Rangers are raising a legal counterclaim against Sydney Super Cup organisers who are taking action over the club's withdrawal from the event.

The Ibrox club have cited numerous breaches of contract related to communications for the competition, its marketing and issues over payments. They are also looking to cover the loss of potential earnings that would have been made on the tour.

Sources suggest there's disappointment over lost fees amid what is perceived to be various failures by the organisers. Those close to the Govan side are confident of their position and are not expecting to have associated costs hit the club's balance sheet.

Various reports from Australia cite legal action taken by TEG Live POty Ltd and Left Field Live Pty Ltd in Federal Court last Friday. They claim the friendly matches against Celtic and Western Sydney Wanderers were terminated wrongfully and are seeking £1.6m in compensation.

The tournament was announced unexpectedly early by Celtic on March 1st, catching their rivals off guard. It was immediately controversial with fans of both clubs taking to social media to give their verdicts. Rangers confirmed their involvement a day later.

Quickly, it became clear that Celtic manager Ange Postecoglou's return to his homeland was going to be a significant element of the event's marketing, a strategy that was felt to be at odds with what was positioned prior to the final agreement.

Rangers withdrew less than a month later citing issues with the event's organisers.

A statement read: "Rangers can confirm the club will not be participating in the Sydney Super Cup in November 2022.

"After it became clear the tournament organisers were unwilling to fulfil their commitments to Rangers, we have, with immediate effect, terminated the club's agreement with the organisers."
The event went ahead earlier this month with Everton coming into the four-team competition instead.

It's unfair because I believe the tournament was organised in good faith, for extra income and to enhance the club and squad, which is what every fan want's. They misread the room.

They listened to the the protests and pulled out knowing the possible implications.

To then pile on again is unfair imo. They will no doubt get it in the neck with lack of transfers next window as well, and I'd go back to my original point.

I never mentioned hypocricy, just I think it's unfair.
The hypocrite comment was me surmising what your point is, wasn’t intended to read as you suggesting it was

I’m sorry but the board don’t deserve credit for cancelling the contract when the issue is they should’ve never entered into the agreement in the first place. I don’t think it’s a case of being unable to criticise them for both actions as ultimately they deserved the criticism for agreeing to the friendly and they now deserve further criticism as they’re costing us millions

In any other workplace, someone would be held to account for costing the business millions

Wild the amount of folk quick to jump on Bisgrove and defend the board.

Bisgrove's job is to bring in money, not be a Rangers fan. When he brings the Australia idea to the board it should have been laughed out the door - it's not his fault it wasn't. No doubt he understands a bit more now how things are different up here to other jobs he's had, but ultimately it lies with the board for allowing it all to happen.

The hypocrite comment was me surmising what your point is, wasn’t intended to read as you suggesting it was

I’m sorry but the board don’t deserve credit for cancelling the contract when the issue is they should’ve never entered into the agreement in the first place. I don’t think it’s a case of being unable to criticise them for both actions as ultimately they deserved the criticism for agreeing to the friendly and they now deserve further criticism as they’re costing us millions

In any other workplace, someone would be held to account for costing the business millions
You'd like to think so. Sadly not a precedent in today's Scotland or indeed at Ibrox. No consequences ever in terms of retail decisions going wrong.

Anyone who wanted us to pull out of the tournament has no business criticising the consequences as they knew it would leave us in breach of the contracts we agreed on to play.

The initial agreement to play in the first place is an entirely separate decision which should be scrutinised in its own right.

FWIW, the organisers should have to prove the losses incurred by swapping Everton for Rangers before a single penny is paid.

Wild the amount of folk quick to jump on Bisgrove and defend the board.

Bisgrove's job is to bring in money, not be a Rangers fan. When he brings the Australia idea to the board it should have been laughed out the door - it's not his fault it wasn't. No doubt he understands a bit more now how things are different up here to other jobs he's had, but ultimately it lies with the board for allowing it all to happen.
There’s no way Bisgrove made the decision on his own so for me, he done his job and it should’ve been someone on the board that informed him under no circumstances would it be happening

Anyone who wanted us to pull out of the tournament has no business criticising the consequences as they knew it would leave us in breach of the contracts we agreed on to play.

The initial agreement to play in the first place is entirely separate.

FWIW, the organisers should have to prove the losses incurred by swapping Everton for Rangers before a single penny is paid.
Eh?

No business criticising the consequences? There would’ve been no consequences if the board didn’t enter into the agreement so of course they deserve criticism

There’s no way Bisgrove made the decision on his own so for me, he done his job and it should’ve been someone on the board that informed him under no circumstances would it be happening
And add Robertson into the mix as well who presumably would have signed this off before being presented to the board.

Another court case & more money we knew was bound to happen.
The board should never have agreed to this in the first place & the beggars jumped the gun announcing it before anything happened on our end.
People saying it should've went ahead need to look at themselves in the mirror.
A friendly against that lot.
In Australia.
To celebrate their manager.
Next there will be calls for mixed sections at old firms B-)

Take away the whole celtic nonce factor for a minute and remember that they actively tried to kill our club, they wanted us gone and to never exist again.

It's crazy to me that anyone would think a friendly with them would be okay in any circumstance. I hope it never ever happens in any shape or form.

Be the best 1.6m we’ve ever spent.
I don’t want my club going and playing games v that mob that we don’t need to. I told Robertson that when I seen him. He probably thought I was wrong.
The point is, it's £1.6m that should never be spent. This was naivety in the highest order from those in charge. As soon as this tournament was mooted, it should have been kicked out of touch as a non-starter.
Unbelievable that the hierarchy allow themselves to be put in totally avoidable situations like this.

Bisgrove is here to make us money, that’s correct.

However the guy has cheapened our brand by lumbering us with bizarre companies that get more benefit of being associated with our club than we do from them financially. We have fans walking around with a now defunct company on our kits who we should never have touched in the first place. For all the good he’s done, there’s plenty more own goals to balance it out.

A potential loss of over £1.5m to our club is shocking and he would need to go.

I do agree there’s plenty on the board to blame too but Bisgrove agreed all the intricate details with his friendly. My guess is the board didn’t fully know the ins and outs.
That should be cause for a boardroom clear out in itself then. They didn’t need to know the intricate details regarding the PR, Sponsorship, media contracts etc - as soon as they knew it was a friendly against Celtic, they should’ve told Bisgrove it wasn’t happening and the reasons why

I’m sorry but the board don’t have a get out clause because they didn’t know every single minute detail

The initial agreement to play in the first place is an entirely separate decision which should be scrutinised in its own right.

The board deserve credit for putting out the fire they started? Go them. My heroes.

Nothing new just a pathetic poet journo doing a piece to take the feel good factor away from Rangers fans after getting a new manager and sadly some have jumped in head first again.

Nice. How much of fans money is it that the board have cost us now? Several millions and counting yet they lose not a penny.

I am never one to defend the board, but I doubt any of them look over any of this stuff. People think Park is running Rangers when the reality is he has put in millions to watch matches from the director's box and see us succeed. It's the job of managing director and the commercial director to make these decisions. It is the board's fault for employing these guys, but I doubt any of them know what goes on day to day.

I am never one to defend the board, but I doubt any of them look over any of this stuff. People think Park is running Rangers when the reality is he has put in millions to watch matches from the director's box and see us succeed. It's the job of managing director and the commercial director to make these decisions. It is the board's fault for employing these guys, but I doubt any of them know what goes on day to day.
Do you honestly believe that the decision was signed off without it being ran past the exec board?

Elite / Hiummel a nd The Snydey Cup, when does it become Stewart Robertson's fault?

Why would it be his fault though? King explained before he has limited powers and has to run nearly everything through the board.

Likewise the clamour to get rid of Bisgrove in this thread, his job is to make money and an offer was made to us, he presented it and the Baird signed it off.

The board of the Parks, Bennett, Scott etc are to blame and should do as they promised when King offered his 3 million pounds and pay it out their pockets.

Also Elite/Hummel was King and James Blair’s doing! King admitted that himself.

Hard to take in, another court case for loss of earnings due to breach of contract. At this rate we will find it extremely difficult to secure contracts on other ventures on favourable terms as other parties will just build in a hefty risk premium based on past legal history. If we lose or likely to lose these cases there will be no significant new signings for 2 years.

The board signed the contract. At that point there was only 2 possible outcomes. We'd either suck it up and play the tournament or we'd pull out and pay the costs.
Or third option is to find a way out of the contract.

As far as I know there were issues with advertising over and above the scum taking it on themselves to go ahead with the announcements before us even tho it was to be a joint venture.

I think I remember reading on here at the time that the adverts in in Oz gave the scum head billing when it was agreed that it would be equal billing. It was also mentioned on here that the organisers failed to make us the upfront payments that were promised.

Don't know how much of any of the above is true but if it is then that gives us a way to start looking at getting out of the contract.

There may have been other issues that we don't know about but it looks as tho it's easier for Rangers fans to just blame Rangers without knowing the facts.

Do you honestly believe that the decision was signed off without it being ran past the exec board?
Honestly yes. These guys are in charge of businesses with turnovers which dwarf Rangers. I doubt outside of a few board meetings a year and turning up in the blue room on match days any of them are involved in the day to day running of the club.

If the managing director and commercial director don't see a friendly with that lot as a bad deal, then they shouldn't be in the job. They shouldn't expect Park or anyone else to be double checking their work, they are paid over six figures to make those decisions and unfortunately for us they keep making bad ones. Crypto sponsorship deals, sports direct retail shambles, this friendly and potentially £10 million overspend on Edmiston house/ blue sky lounge.

Honestly yes. These guys are in charge of businesses with turnovers which dwarf Rangers. I doubt outside of a few board meetings a year and turning up in the blue room on match days any of them are involved in the day to day running of the club.

If the managing director and commercial director don't see a friendly with that lot as a bad deal, then they shouldn't be in the job. They shouldn't expect Park or anyone else to be double checking their work, they are paid over six figures to make those decisions and unfortunately for us they keep making bad ones. Crypto sponsorship deals, sports direct retail shambles, this friendly and potentially £10 million overspend on Edmiston house/ blue sky lounge.
I agree they won’t have day to day involvement in the running of the club but I firmly believe decisions such as that would’ve been ran past them to some degree

Even as an FYI I’d have expected them to respond and say no under any circumstances. Robertson and Dickson are 2 I’d have expected to know that it shouldn’t have been agreed under any circumstances

Sad day when being sued for nearly 2 million quid is peanuts in comparison to other claims.
What a shambles.
It's only a shambles if we're in the wrong. Safe to assume both this and the Elite 'claims' will be contested, that's if either even make it to court. The sheer desperation some people have to put the boot into our club, before we even know if there's reason to do so, is mind-boggling.

Back