Club being sued for £1.6m over Oz friendly

I agree they won’t have day to day involvement in the running of the club but I firmly believe decisions such as that would’ve been ran past them to some degree

Even as an FYI I’d have expected them to respond and say no under any circumstances. Robertson and Dickson are 2 I’d have expected to know that it shouldn’t have been agreed under any circumstances
I agree they are doing a bad job letting stuff like this go through. I just can't understand how anyone working at the club seriously even considered this to get as far as signing a contract. It will probably end in an out of court settlement once the 2 legal teams start talking.

It's just so frustrating for this stuff appearing nearly every week now. I would say there has been at least £25-£30 million wasted in the last 3 years over incompetence in pretty basic commercial contracts and spending decisions. Its money which should have gone onto the pitch and who knows where we would be had we be run correctly.

The club should have stuck to their guns when they made the decision to play in it. The moment they allowed the fans to make the decision, alot of folk lost respect for them. Allowing the tail to wag the dog should never happen regardless of if they made the right or wrong decision in the first place.
The board aren't commanding much respect for anything nowadays and the decision to play is one of the reasons.

He hasn’t agreed to it.

He’s taken it to the board, quite literally his job description.

Imagine the uproar if he brokered a multi million revenue opportunity and didn’t take it to the board, that would be a sackable offence
There clearly would have be no uproar given by the fans reaction when they even heard of the possibility of it

Most fans don't think that way. Most fans don't talk about the consequences of boardroom decisions until we see the consequences of those decisions. Then they get angry.

You can't simply walk away from contracts without any fallout. Fans need to accept that. This latest fiasco is certainly worth being angry about. The anger should be directed at the board for signing the deal in the first place. Once it was signed? If fans didn't want the club to play in the friendly tournament then unfortunately there needs to be an acceptance that there would be consequences.

Get angry with the board for misjudging the situation and signing the deal in the first place. But the fans wanted the club to withdraw. Folk can't then be angry that there are consequences because we withdrew from a contract that we signed.
The contract may have been broken by the other side and Rangers acted accordingly.

There’s no way Bisgrove made the decision on his own so for me, he done his job and it should’ve been someone on the board that informed him under no circumstances would it be happening
That's a really good point. It's Bisgrove's job to present commercial opportunities and the board's job to choose a course of action.
Ignoring the implications, what Bisgrove did was present an opportunity to make millions for two games over a long weekend. You're right that he should be exploring opportunities. If he received the invitation, it would have been negligent on his part not to relay it to the board. They should should have said "no thanks", but it's their decision, not his.

Did Dave King not say he was going to pay this?

Edit:
Yes he did. So not to worry. He certainly wouldn't just go about posturing and saying things he couldn't possibly back up.

Anyone who wanted us to pull out of the tournament has no business criticising the consequences as they knew it would leave us in breach of the contracts we agreed on to play.

The initial agreement to play in the first place is an entirely separate decision which should be scrutinised in its own right.

FWIW, the organisers should have to prove the losses incurred by swapping Everton for Rangers before a single penny is paid.
They wouldn't need to pay consequences if they never signed up in the first place though.

In the space of a week we've found out that the club is being sued for over £11m this after forking out £8m earlier in the year and also being fined for price fixing in the summer.

Wow the incompetence is staggering it really is. You also wonder what other cases are in the pipework as well cause under this board you know something else is coming it's only a matter of time.

Keep hearing about how the board have put in X amount well the above is a prime example of why they need to do that they are unbelievably incompetent.
They’ve been sued, they’ve not lost

Eh?

No business criticising the consequences? There would’ve been no consequences if the board didn’t enter into the agreement so of course they deserve criticism
Missing the point spectacularly.

The decision to play in the tournament had been made before the campaign to have us withdraw.

At that point there is a decision to be made- play in the tournament and make money or pull out and lose money. People knew that and still there was massive pressure on the board to pull us out. Nobody can complain about the financial loss if that was their choice at the time. They knew that could happen. I wonder if - in retrospect - anyone would change their stance knowing this affects our future budgets for players/wages/improvement of the club in general.

I am not excusing the original decision to agree to play the tournament in any way. Major failure to "read the room". But once we agreed on it, it was clear there was going to be consequences if we withdrew so this is the price we paid for the reversal of decision to play.

The board deserve credit for putting out the fire they started? Go them. My heroes.
Point me to where I said that?

The club should have stuck to their guns when they made the decision to play in it. The moment they allowed the fans to make the decision, alot of folk lost respect for them. Allowing the tail to wag the dog should never happen regardless of if they made the right or wrong decision in the first place.
Time to get you on ignore

Missing the point spectacularly.

The decision to play in the tournament had been made before the campaign to have us withdraw.

At that point there is a decision to be made- play in the tournament and make money or pull out and lose money. People knew that and still there was massive pressure on the board to pull us out. Nobody can complain about the financial loss if that was their choice at the time. They knew that could happen. I wonder if - in retrospect - anyone would change their stance knowing this affects our future budgets for players/wages/improvement of the club in general.

I am not excusing the original decision to agree to play the tournament in any way. Major failure to "read the room". But once we agreed on it, it was clear there was going to be consequences if we withdrew so this is the price we paid for the reversal of decision to play.

Point me to where I said that?
I’m not missing any point. They wouldn’t have had to backtrack if they weren’t stupid enough to have signed up to the friendly

They deserved criticism for signing up to the friendly and they deserve criticism for the financial penalties we’re going to face due to their stupid decision

Both things are intrinsically linked and they deserve all the criticism they get

The “tail” as you put it is the fans that are the biggest source of income for the club

If a manager is performing poorly - he gets the sack.

When are these charlatans at our club going to be held accountable?

Who the hell thought this friendly would be a good idea and the fans would ok it? Imagine it was going ahead and we had to fly over there whilst being however many points behind with the manager's position up in the air etc. Shambles.

I’m not missing any point. They wouldn’t have had to backtrack if they weren’t stupid enough to have signed up to the friendly

They deserved criticism for signing up to the friendly and they deserve criticism for the financial penalties we’re going to face due to their stupid decision

Both things are intrinsically linked and they deserve all the criticism they get
It is 2 entirely separate decisions though.

We still could've played the tournament, had a bit of flak from the fans, made some money, ham up the 'old firm', potentially trounced the scum and spoiled the big homecoming for Postecoglu and recovered it.

While I agree that they shouldn't have signed up for it in the first place, it is entirely questionable whether or not having done so they made the right decision to make the u-turn costing us over a million and a half quid.

If you can't see that, it's not my fault.

It is 2 entirely separate decisions though.

We still could've played the tournament, had a bit of flak from the fans, made some money, ham up the 'old firm', potentially trounced the scum and spoiled the big homecoming for Postecoglu and recovered it.

While I agree that they shouldn't have signed up for it in the first place, it is entirely questionable whether or not having done so they made the right decision to make the u-turn costing us over a million and a half quid.

If you can't see that, it's not my fault.
They 100% made the right decision pulling out and they’ve deserved the criticism that followed

The Dundee protest would’ve looked tame compared to what would’ve followed had they not managed to cancel the contract.

It’s not that I can’t see what you’re saying, it’s the fact that I completely disagree with you as I don’t think it’s 2 separate things at all

Well once it was signed its about a what - £5m+ swing in revenue ?

If the board had said "we can cancel but it will cost a new midfielder" - I'm not sure there would be the same clamour to cancel.

Once again SR at the helm is the problem - perhaps he needs to go.
We've just made record revenue, brought in about 60 million quid from the last 12 months European runs and a further 40 million or so from player sales. With that we've spent a combined 13 million or so quid on 4 players, all of which bar Colak the jury is out on and 2 of which that can't even get a start.

If you think a couple of million quid for selling our soul and playing the bridesmaid to celtic would convince this board to shell out on a starting midfielder then its clear that your mind is made up on this regardless.

It's only a shambles if we're in the wrong. Safe to assume both this and the Elite 'claims' will be contested, that's if either even make it to court. The sheer desperation some people have to put the boot into our club, before we even know if there's reason to do so, is mind-boggling.
The fact we are yet again being sued in court is a shambles no matter how much you want to pretend otherwise pal and no one needs to be desperate to put the boot in, the board are doing that all by themselves mate.

Did people not expect this when shouting to the high heavens about what a disgrace it was ? Just expect us to be allowed to say no without a pay out. ……What planet do you live on?

If this comes to pass, it should be the end of Bisgrove.

No sure about that mate.

Bisgrove might’ve brought this into discussion and to the clubs attention. But if our board are rangers minded as they say they are - they wouldn’t be so out of touch to let this go any further than an internal discussion.

Undoubtedly it should be a lesson learned on Bisgrove’s part, as in - don’t bring anything to the table that involves the peados, but don’t think he’s culpable any further than that.

Our board members might have great personal wealth and passion for the club, but they don't know how to run the club properly.
This is another example of not to do it.
Not sure I trust any of the guys on our board. A very sad state of affairs.

It's disgraceful and totally selfish that the Dallas Cowboys haven't played a match at the Battery Park for the Greenock based fans.

You see how ridiculous that sounds? Exact same as people based in Australia expecting to see Rangers play a match there.
I guess you mean comparing Dallas Cowboys, a massive club but only within the four walls of the US, with the Rangers Football Club, world renowned with supporters clubs in the goodness knows how many countries outwith the UK?
I’ve been to around thirty different holiday destinations, visited as many cities again and I’ve yet to see a Dallas Cowboy themed pub.

If Australian based fans want to see a Rangers Celtic game live then they need to travel to Scotland to see it. Same way South American based fans, African based fans or North American based fans would have to do

I dont overly like the term “hardcore” however those that go week in, week out whether we play at Ibrox, away domestically or in Europe are more in-tune with fan feelings than fans based abroad who haven’t attended games in years. Is that not just common knowledge?

I think Australian based fans are owed a summer Pre season tour as an apology, so long as it’s anyone other than Celtic we play. I personally don’t know one person that goes to games regularly who supported the Sydney cup match against Celtic
That’s quite interesting.
We’re usually helluva proud of our global fanbase but today, they are second class supporters and their opinion doesn’t matter.

They 100% made the right decision pulling out and they’ve deserved the criticism that followed

The Dundee protest would’ve looked tame compared to what would’ve followed had they not managed to cancel the contract.

It’s not that I can’t see what you’re saying, it’s the fact that I completely disagree with you as I don’t think it’s 2 separate things at all
Well, it is though because withdrawing from the tournament wasn't their only option at that point in time when they decided to! Whatever way you dress it up we took one decision that consequently put the board in a position of having another, separate decision to make.

Even though you can link the consequential payment of £1.5m or whatever back to the first decision, you have to accept that after the fan pressure began, they still had the decision to make between following through and playing regardless of how unhappy and vocal a section of the fan base was, or withdrawing and accepting a possible financial hit.

Each decision was a risk/reward situation and in both decisions they miscalculated.
The decision to enter the tournament made commercial sense. We'd have made money. The reputational risk wasn't properly assessed. The decision to withdraw did not make commercial sense as it left us in breach of contract and liable for losses - commercial risk not assessed properly. It recouped some of the reputational risk (reputation to our core fan base who were against the decision to play) but at the cost to us the equivalent of a home gate in the EL run or a player's salary for a year.

Knowing that it was going to cost as much as £1.5m to withdraw from the tournament, would people still want that to happen? I am not so sure. We have worked damn hard to get to the EL final, into the CL, selling great young players and the fruits of on-field success is being eroded by numerous bad decisions off-field.

The disconnect between the fans and the Board is now a chasm. That much is clear now. Fan representation at Board level would have ensured nonsense like this was vetoed at source.
Can we just imagine that any one of us is sitting on that Board as some sort of fan rep.
And this comes to the table ... and is getting the big OK from everybody else there.

You'd be sitting there wondering just who the flying f*** these people are.

I honestly doubt if I could have moderated my language properly when I had my say over it, and how easily the rest of the Board wanted to slide into it.

Can we just imagine that any one of us is sitting on that Board as some sort of fan rep.
And this comes to the table ... and is getting the big OK from everybody else there.

You'd be sitting there wondering just who the flying f*** these people are.

I honestly doubt if I could have moderated my language properly when I had my say over it, and how easily the rest of the Board wanted to slide into it.

I'd have first thought it was some Operation Tango in reverse, mate. It should have been laughed out of the Boardroom. That it was discussed, agreed to, then signed off as ok is just surreal, tbh.

That’s quite interesting.
We’re usually helluva proud of our global fanbase but today, they are second class supporters and their opinion doesn’t matter.
I know fans based in North America and Oceania, my post wasn’t intended to demean them in any way.

I’m merely pointing out that fans that attend games regularly, mingle with other fans etc better understand the sense of feeling compared to those that are completely detached from it all

2012-2018 was absolute torture for Scottish/northern Irish based fans that would’ve got it tight on a daily/weekly basis. Fans that haven’t lived in the goldfish bowl for a while won’t really understand the sense of feeling.

Well, it is though because withdrawing from the tournament wasn't their only option at that point in time when they decided to! Whatever way you dress it up we took one decision that consequently put the board in a position of having another, separate decision to make.

Even though you can link the consequential payment of £1.5m or whatever back to the first decision, you have to accept that after the fan pressure began, they still had the decision to make between following through and playing regardless of how unhappy and vocal a section of the fan base was, or withdrawing and accepting a possible financial hit.

Each decision was a risk/reward situation and in both decisions they miscalculated.
The decision to enter the tournament made commercial sense. We'd have made money. The reputational risk wasn't properly assessed. The decision to withdraw did not make commercial sense as it left us in breach of contract and liable for losses - commercial risk not assessed properly. It recouped some of the reputational risk (reputation to our core fan base who were against the decision to play) but at the cost to us the equivalent of a home gate in the EL run or a player's salary for a year.

Knowing that it was going to cost as much as £1.5m to withdraw from the tournament, would people still want that to happen? I am not so sure. We have worked damn hard to get to the EL final, into the CL, selling great young players and the fruits of on-field success is being eroded by numerous bad decisions off-field.
100% yes. As said, the protests would’ve got progressively worse and it would’ve cost the club much more money long term

I know people that were saying they were done with buying merchandise/mygers add ons unless they cancelled. Might’ve taken a season or two for the effect to show but I have no doubts it would’ve cost the club a great deal more than the figure you’ve quoted if they’d went ahead with the friendly

Let’s not forget some were saying they wouldn’t renew their STs or they’d withhold ST money to the last moment to put pressure on the board

This will play a big part. The organisers and beggars led with this as some kind of selling point. Added fuel to the fire.
It was daft signing up for it in the first place but the actions of them made it impossible for the board to find a way to justify it. When actions of others affect your customer base with such detriment then surely there’s a legal route to make the contract null and void.

100% yes. As said, the protests would’ve got progressively worse and it would’ve cost the club much more money long term

I know people that were saying they were done with buying merchandise/mygers add ons unless they cancelled. Might’ve taken a season or two for the effect to show but I have no doubts it would’ve cost the club a great deal more than the figure you’ve quoted if they’d went ahead with the friendly

Let’s not forget some were saying they wouldn’t renew their STs or they’d withhold ST money to the last moment to put pressure on the board

So you're saying that it was indeed a separate decision with its own rationale that it could've cost more in the long run. Thanks for clearing that up B-)

Anyone know what the crowds were like at that event with Them and the Australian teams .
Hopefully it was poor .

Back