Club being sued for £1.6m over Oz friendly

Absolutely correct mate. Bisgrove comes up with ideas and the board signs them off. The fact rangers men gave the go ahead for it in the first place is ridiculous
Bisgrove came to our club in 2019 so he has been with our club for a few years and should have fully understood this would never and should have never been a starter.

My issue is that lack of "depth" and skill of individuals working within the commercial department at the club. MyGers is an unmitigated disaster. The 150th celebrations, Castore, Sunderland away in the summer,etc. We pay for a standard and it's not delivered. It's embarrassing.

So you're saying that it was indeed a separate decision with its own rationale that it could've cost more in the long run. Thanks for clearing that up B-)
They’re intertwined. They wouldn’t have had to cancel it, following fan backlash, if they hadn’t been stupid enough to agree to the contract to start with

Unsure what’s wrong with that?

I don't get why folk are mad about this. Was this not pretty much expected? The initial mistake to sign up was stupid beyond belief, but they righted the wrong and this is the cost of that. Assuming we can't wrangle our way out of paying anything. Considering the event was lacklustre and poorly attended anyway.

It's frustrating the club threw away money but at the end of the day, it was at the behest of the fans wishes.

It is Rangers' fault.

Board signed a contract. Board then backed out of that contract.
Of coure it is Rangers fault. Listening to some clowns tie themselves in knots trying to blame the fans is pathetic. Yet another fuçk up from start to finish when any senior staff member involved being able to read the room would have avoided large financial cost and lots of embarrassment. Not for the first time.

I think it’s only the fans that fully understand what it’s like between us and them.

An Englishman in the door 2 or 3 years won’t get it.
He should "get it" to fully understand his market and the core support who he and the board are expecting to just buy in to their plans and ideas. Its the support after all that are expected to buy everything that he and club are trying to sell.

I don't get why folk are mad about this. Was this not pretty much expected? The initial mistake to sign up was stupid beyond belief, but they righted the wrong and this is the cost of that. Assuming we can't wrangle our way out of paying anything. Considering the event was lacklustre and poorly attended anyway.

It's frustrating the club threw away money but at the end of the day, it was at the behest of the fans wishes.
A lot of the "mad" folk are blaming the fans which is absolutely mental.

Of coure it is Rangers fault. Listening to some clowns tie themselves in knots trying to blame the fans is pathetic. Yet another fuçk up from start to finish when any senior staff member involved being able to read the room would have avoided large financial cost and lots of embarrassment. Not for the first time.
There's people on here that would absolve the board of anything.

Blaming the fans is also a preferred option.

Just pay the money and move on.
The only upside here is the public numbers show that there was nowhere near the money involved then the lunatics' across the city are saying. 6 million quid my ar$e!

The organisers will be desperate for the cash too as the crowds were shit out here for the games.
They tried hard to promote it. Even making the news a few times but in the end the games hardly rated a mention. I only know the Sydney FC result, although even as a SFC fan I couldn’t bring myself to attend.

What part of a Rangers board should not be getting involved with the filth, in a friendly, anywhere, anytime now or ever in the future don't you get?

Have you missed the filth getting belted into us at every opportunity over the last decade in particular?
I appreciate everything you are saying buy my main point in having it both ways is that attacking the board for the friendly and insisting they cancel it, then attacking the board for the legal repercussions when they do just that, seems unfair to me. There was a lot of cancel at any costs statements at the time as well.
You don't have a main point because if we had a board worth their salt there would have been no agreeing to play that lot in the first place.

As the OP said, this had to have been signed off by Mr Cinch and Co. If we are fecked over financially they should be carrying the can.

And in this lot we trust to run our football club?

Our board couldn't guarantee Katie Price her 'Nat King' in a room full of Chippendales.

What part of a Rangers board should not be getting involved with the filth, in a friendly, anywhere, anytime now or ever in the future don't you get?

Have you missed the filth getting belted into us at every opportunity over the last decade in particular?

What part of 'it was a stupid mistake' do you not understand? Just manufacturing a completely different argument in your own head here mate.

I was very vocal in my displeasure at the original decision from the get go. On here and on twitter. I was also fairly upfront about it being a bad decision in the OP you quoted even.

What part of 'it was a stupid mistake' do you not understand? Just manufacturing a completely different argument in your own head here mate.

I was very vocal in my displeasure at the original decision from the get go. On here and on twitter. I was also fairly upfront about it being a bad decision in the OP you quoted even.
If you are talking about it being 'a stupid mistake' on behalf of the board then I simply cannot buy that. It was a mistake alright but one borne out of contempt for the fans.

That is the only possible conclusion I can come up with because they must have known there would be a backlash and possibly in their arrogance they misjudged just how much?

If you are talking about it being 'a stupid mistake' on behalf of the board then I simply cannot buy that. It was a mistake alright but one borne out of contempt for the fans.

That is the only possible conclusion I can come up with because they must have known there would be a backlash and possibly in their arrogance they misjudged just how much?

A mistake in the sense they believed they could get it to fly among the support. That was their gravest error in all of this. The arrogance that we wouldn't react with anything other than apathy.

To my mind, they undoubtedly did behave with contempt towards the fans. They prioritised commercial gain over fan sentiment and not for the first time either. I think they thought they'd get away with it. They didn't, no point dwelling on it. Hopefully a lesson learned on both sides involved. Lawsuit is the cost of their own arrogance and stupidity.

A mistake in the sense they believed they could get it to fly among the support. That was their gravest error in all of this. The arrogance that we wouldn't react with anything other than apathy.

To my mind, they undoubtedly did behave with contempt towards the fans. They prioritised commercial gain over fan sentiment and not for the first time either. I think they thought they'd get away with it. They didn't, no point dwelling on it. Hopefully a lesson learned on both sides involved. Lawsuit is the cost of their own arrogance and stupidity.
I agree with you there 100%.

Where I disagreed was on the point that the support were somehow at fault. We are the only ones who acted with any sort of morals on this issue.

However, it's just another few threads in the bigger tapestry, which when it becomes ever clearer does not show this board in a very good light.

I agree with you there 100%.

Where I disagreed was on the point that the support were somehow at fault. We are the only ones who acted with any sort of morals on this issue.

However, it's just another few threads in the bigger tapestry, which when it becomes ever clearer does not show this board in a very good light.

I wasn't saying we were at fault. I was saying this was the consequences of the boards stupidity and ultimately what the fans wanted to have happen. What I didn't understand was the need for a rehash of all that resentment and anger.

I wasn't saying we were at fault. I was saying this was the consequences of the boards stupidity and ultimately what the fans wanted to have happen. What I didn't understand was the need for a rehash of all that resentment and anger.
Obviously with the news that the boards' insanity could cost us a seven figure sum has brought it all back to the fore.

I'm sure this is another example of their disastrous PRs and publicity the board would have preferred to come out after the AGM.

They’re intertwined. They wouldn’t have had to cancel it, following fan backlash, if they hadn’t been stupid enough to agree to the contract to start with

Unsure what’s wrong with that?

You're working on a predisposed idea that everyone who wanted us to withdraw after we'd agreed to play in the tournament is going to accept the £1.6m damages with no ill-will to the board because of it. After all it was the collective contribution to the pressure that ultimately cause the u-turn.

Clearly there will be people who want their cake and eat it - to exit the agreement to play and not have to pay anything to the organisers.

Of course you're correct to say they got the FIRST decision wrong to play in the tournament. I think we all agree on that point. I certainly do.

But as a support we forced the board into the SECOND decision which was to withdraw and in doing so this has caused us to be on the hook for a substantial sum of money. WE should not be able to criticise this SECOND decision after forcing it.

Is that clearly explained enough for you?

If the fans had known it would cost 32 Glenn Kamaras to pull out would there have been such a clamour not to send a reserve side to play a friendly at 3am ?
So the fans or fan reaction shouldn't be considered when the intiial decison to go was made but the club decision to pull out is entirely down to the fans. All with and result of our board's decisions costing our club money and boosting the finaces of celtic not to mention the humiliation of it all. But you are someone happy to be part of the big "ange homecoming" so i doubt being embarrassed is a concept for you. embarrassing yourself my man. Again.

The club should have stuck to their guns when they made the decision to play in it. The moment they allowed the fans to make the decision, alot of folk lost respect for them. Allowing the tail to wag the dog should never happen regardless of if they made the right or wrong decision in the first place.

The moment they agreed to participate, a lot of folk lost respect for them.

You're working on a predisposed idea that everyone who wanted us to withdraw after we'd agreed to play in the tournament is going to accept the £1.6m damages with no ill-will to the board because of it. After all it was the collective contribution to the pressure that ultimately cause the u-turn.

Clearly there will be people who want their cake and eat it - to exit the agreement to play and not have to pay anything to the organisers.

Of course you're correct to say they got the FIRST decision wrong to play in the tournament. I think we all agree on that point. I certainly do.

But as a support we forced the board into the SECOND decision which was to withdraw and in doing so this has caused us to be on the hook for a substantial sum of money. WE should not be able to criticise this SECOND decision after forcing it.

You could’ve left it at that

The Second decision is the byproduct of the boards terrible decision to go.

This is on them, no one else

The club should have stuck to their guns when they made the decision to play in it. The moment they allowed the fans to make the decision, alot of folk lost respect for them. Allowing the tail to wag the dog should never happen regardless of if they made the right or wrong decision in the first place.
Yep. Send out a team full of youngsters. Fans dont need to go or watch it. Rather than lose 1.5 million (if case goes against us) we could have made 1.5 million and had three million to spend on a player.
Who cares about these games anyway some of our youngsters would have enjoyed the experience.
Playing in something that does not matter but makes money who cares about the results or who we play.
Beat the scum in the league and cup is all that matters.

Bisgrove is here to make us money, that’s correct.

However the guy has cheapened our brand by lumbering us with bizarre companies that get more benefit of being associated with our club than we do from them financially. We have fans walking around with a now defunct company on our kits who we should never have touched in the first place. For all the good he’s done, there’s plenty more own goals to balance it out.

A potential loss of over £1.5m to our club is shocking and he would need to go.

I do agree there’s plenty on the board to blame too but Bisgrove agreed all the intricate details with his friendly. My guess is the board didn’t fully know the ins and outs.
What exactly do you think the board were not aware of - it was a horrendous decision from the off before anyone starts to consider any “intricate details”.

Yep. Send out a team full of youngsters. Fans dont need to go or watch it. Rather than lose 1.5 million (if case goes against us) we could have made 1.5 million and had three million to spend on a player.
Who cares about these games anyway some of our youngsters would have enjoyed the experience.
Playing in something that does not matter but makes money who cares about the results or who we play.
Beat the scum in the league and cup is all that matters.

We don't know the details of any contract, mate. It could have included a legal clause that we must play as many first team regulars as possible.

I’m going to go out on a limb here & say nothing will come of this court case.

It’s been reported in the media to drum up more hysteria among the support.

I think Australian based fans are owed a summer Pre season tour as an apology, so long as it’s anyone other than Celtic we play. I personally don’t know one person that goes to games regularly who supported the Sydney cup match against Celtic
Great idea. Although, it would be nice if they came to Perth this time as Perth has a big Rangers community

Did people not expect this when shouting to the high heavens about what a disgrace it was ? Just expect us to be allowed to say no without a pay out. ……What planet do you live on?
Of course it was expected. People aren't annoyed at the fact we are being sued, people are pissed off that we agreed to this in the first place. If the board never agreed to this in the first place we wouldn't be getting sued.

My issue is that lack of "depth" and skill of individuals working within the commercial department at the club. MyGers is an unmitigated disaster. The 150th celebrations, Castore, Sunderland away in the summer,etc. We pay for a standard and it's not delivered. It's embarrassing.
At least corporate know a week before the semi final if they have a ticket

Back