Club showing Dundee Utd v Gers from May 2009 'as live' at 12 noon

Some day that was!

I managed to get a Rangers end ticket direct from Dundee United at the student price of £12, one of the most useful uses of my course at the time.

Our RSC got 3 tickets, I was one of the lucky ones and I knew I had a ticket about 10 days before.

Then always remember the scum drawing at Easter Road the previous Sunday to put it in our hands. Basically a 90 minute procession towards the Hibs goal but they somehow failed to score.

The team that day:

EYsiD99XQAAOoGd

Operation tango day, the best wind up ever.

in a fair and sporting competition Craig Thomson would've been investigated for his reactions. First of all not booking the mentally challenged for a terrible challenge but then his reaction to the Tango.

Got 2 tickets a few days before the game thanks to a poster in here.

I'm in his debt forever.

Is it wrong to say I get a bit disappointed watching these back? Not because we're winning obviously but I end up comparing it to current times.

The fight these teams showed in something that is missing in our current side imo.

Is it wrong to say I get a bit disappointed watching these back? Not because we're winning obviously but I end up comparing it to current times.

The fight these teams showed in something that is missing in our current side imo.

The speed of our play and our willingness to get runners/bodies in the box is a big difference for me.

Is Craig Conway a bear? I seem to have memories of seeing him amongst the crowd when leaving a game at Ibrox at some point.

The pain in the voices of those two wankers commentating is almost palpable.
Desperate for Scumdee Utd to score!!

First half observations:

Weir and Bougherra, a centre back pairing that would walk our current league. Papac and Whittaker also excellent. Illustrating hugely why we currently struggle to win trophies.

One of Boyd's biggest critics at the time and I remember why. Absolute goal machine, but unless he's in the box every attack just bounces off him. Having a better footballer in there would've created more chances and gave the team a higher collective goal tally. Miller sometimes just as bad.

Get that chopper to Dundee now!
"We won the league...
at Tannadice..."

First half observations:

Weir and Bougherra, a centre back pairing that would walk our current league. Papac and Whittaker also excellent. Illustrating hugely why we currently struggle to win trophies.

One of Boyd's biggest critics at the time and I remember why. Absolute goal machine, but unless he's in the box every attack just bounces off him. Having a better footballer in there would've created more chances and gave the team a higher collective goal tally. Miller sometimes just as bad.

"We won the league...
at Tannadice..."

Two excellent full backs for us. Both could defend, both could get forward.

Mentioned Whittaker in a thread earlier this week.

First half observations:

"We won the league...
at Tannadice..."

that back four is way above anything we have now.

that back four is way above anything we have now.

There was a few challenges on Whittiker in the first half that I feel if happened to our current defence they'd go into their shell a little bit.

Whittiker just got up and got on with and set up a goal instead.

I miss Walter :)) :(

The team that day:

EYsiD99XQAAOoGd

What a day. Looking at that though, it's not a team of superstars but they were title winners. How do we get back to that? What exactly is missing now compared to what we had then? Desperate for they days to return!

The fight that team showed all over the pitch for each other was incredible. We have nothing like that now at all and exactly why we haven’t seen a trophy for years!

Fond memories of that day.

My old man has a screen printing business so we got two high-vis vests and got 'PRESS' printed on the back and 'The Courier' (the local rag) printed on the breast of each high vis.

We went and bought two tickets for the Dundee Hibs end nearest the away support. We stuck the vests up our jumpers as we got in. Upon entry a few folk recognised us as local Rangers fans and were giving us stick, but we swerved them and done a reccy of how we could get over into the Rangers end. We went into the gents and put our vests on and just as the teams were coming out we went down to the front of the stand and opened the gate and walked calmly around the track, along the Shed end withour fans in there and went into the little lower-tier pen of the fairplay stand... a copper even opened the gate for us haha. Went into the gents, changed the vests over and the rest if history as they say... what a day, watching it now and missing these days so much!

What a day. Looking at that though, it's not a team of superstars but they were title winners. How do we get back to that? What exactly is missing now compared to what we had then? Desperate for they days to return!

It was a very strong overall squad with a lot of very good players. Weir and Bougherra were the bedrock in defence, Barry Ferguson and Davis great in midfield, Boyd a goal machine, and so on. They played as a team and played with confidence, for which Walter takes great credit of course.

What a fantastic day.

First half observations:

"We won the league...
at Tannadice..."
I fear bringing up an age old argument amongst rangers fans but I have to disagree with your Boyd point. Of course I agree that his build up play was probably as good as mine but his goal scoring ability is something we’ve found impossible to replicate since he was here. I don’t think we’d have scored more with someone else partnering Miller up front, they both worked great together.

Personally watched the game with my Dad in the house really nervous, always found it a difficult away ground for us but that first goal really calmed the nerves. Always wonder what happened to that guy you see getting chased down the stairs in the home end after the mendes goal!

Watching it now as I was busy earlier. Could we have turned Lee Wilkie into a decent player or were injuries always gonna ruin his career.
I know he wasn’t great but neither were half our great defenders before they came to us.

I was in Tannadice early that day and sitting in the Jerry Kerr stand next to what was the Dundee Utd directors box. About 90 minutes before kick off the ground is still pretty quiet. The next thing some guy appears climbing over the wooden divide between our end and the Dundee Utd directors box. He had snuck in to the ground the night before and slept in the toilet.

I was in Tannadice early that day and sitting in the Jerry Kerr stand next to what was the Dundee Utd directors box. About 90 minutes before kick off the ground is still pretty quiet. The next thing some guy appears climbing over the wooden divide between our end and the Dundee Utd directors box. He had snuck in to the ground the night before and slept in the toilet.
well done to him

Back