Club showing Kilmarnock v Gers from May 2011 as live at 3pm today

Bring Diouf on for a laugh.
Chuckling away to myself at the thought of the photo of him that emerged after the season finished. He turned up back at his parent club Blackburn wearing Rangers shorts and had his league winners medal on as though he had just been presented with it :D

The early reference to the Killie player Clancy. Immediately followed by “There’s some balloons on the pitch”. Prophetic or what :p

Chuckling away to myself at the thought of the photo of him that emerged after the season finished. He turned up back at his parent club Blackburn wearing Rangers shorts and had his league winners medal on as though he had just been presented with it :D
DrqcMdsW4AANT4Z

Watching this now and the difference in mentality and confidence compared to our current players is blatantly obvious. Our current squad would probably have folded and blown this game.

Watching this now and the difference in mentality and confidence compared to our current players is blatantly obvious. Our current squad would probably have folded and blown this game.
Every one of them is an absolute warrior, they must have walked in the tunnel before the game, turned to Killie and said. You’re getting fucking nothing! Totally fearless!

That rangers team was written off in here as well in other places after we lost to Celtic in the league and the cup.

As a couple of folk have said above, so nice to see us playing with two up top and on a good, grass pitch at Killie. I had almost forgotten how good Naismith was for a while with us. My memory of Edu being not much more than a hat stand didn’t fail me however!

It also goes to show that you don’t always need a team of world beaters to win a league title - you have Wylde starting that game and in pretty much every successful Rangers squad I have seen we have had a few players who really were very average. But you do need real quality too - your Jelavic’s and Steven Davis’s at the top of their game.

It gets the juices flowing for the new league campaign, whenever that may be.

And after that wee stain on our history Black had injured him and put him out for 12 weeks
Black also did that to Lee McCulloch also the night Diouf made his debut, in fact he put Diouf about 6 feet in the air also that night, I was sat in the broomloan front going tonto at him. It was my oldest daughters first game and she had never seen me lose the rag like that before haha.

He was a dirty bastard and as history tells us, an absolutely horrific player

We should have resigned Naismith when he went to Hearts and I don’t care what anyone says

How strange is it to see a game at rugby park that actually looks like football, the plastic there now is chronic

Crocker fawning over the bin man that was Paddy McCourt. Who is about fifty miles away playing in another game. Some things never change.

I was playing in a semi final the same day at Ardeer Stadium that kicked off at same time, I seen a boy celebrating wildly watching the game ask him if that was 1-0 Rangers as game had just kicked off and he was screaming its 3-0 3 fuckin 0 haha

Took a while to compute as was so early on and players chatted amongst themselves about score most in joy a few in despair

Mo Edu was massively under rated by a portion of our support
If it wasn't for him Davis wouldn't have been as brilliant as he was Edu done his dirty work for him doing the box to box nitty gritty stuff while Davis done the damage with his close control dribbling and passing

Mo Edu was massively under rated by a portion of our support
I am one of those who really didn’t ever rate him. He had this reputation of being industrious etc yet for me he was the opposite - had some level of talent for sure but just never worked hard enough for me. He was one of these guys who was fine at getting to within 3 yards of his opponent but then so often just stopped and didn’t get tight or get a challenge in. It doesn’t matter now of course but he just wasn’t ever my cup of tea.

I am one of those who really didn’t ever rate him. He had this reputation of being industrious etc yet for me he was the opposite - had some level of talent for sure but just never worked hard enough for me. He was one of these guys who was fine at getting to within 3 yards of his opponent but then so often just stopped and didn’t get tight or get a challenge in. It doesn’t matter now of course but he just wasn’t ever my cup of tea.

He was the perfect example of how a midfield spoiler doesn’t need to be snapping into tackles constantly. His closing down of distance off the ball was his main strength. A mainstay of championship winning teams, played in champions league and a World Cup - hugely under rated for me.

As much as I’m enjoying this game, it’s also a little sobering and depressing to see this & compare to the current crop who routinely struggle to dispose of shite like Kilmarnock.

And that Rugby Park pitch in 2011,compared to the plastic shite they have now:eek:

Feels like a million years ago. I was in the small away section in the Frank Beattie stand what a day

He was the perfect example of how a midfield spoiler doesn’t need to be snapping into tackles constantly. His closing down of distance off the ball was his main strength. A mainstay of championship winning teams, played in champions league and a World Cup - hugely under rated for me.
I heard all that at the time but honestly didn’t ever really feel that. I thought he was over rated at the time rather than under rated. I am not at all averse to a grafter in midfield who isn’t flashy. Plenty of winning Rangers teams have had one. But I am always wary of midfielders who do the “unseen dirty work” in midfield - it is so often unseen because it doesn’t exist. Edu just wasn’t for me or quite a few others but I know there were a fair number of folk who had a different view at the time. Not that I was saying that when he scored the winner at Ibrox against Celtic right enough!

I heard all that at the time but honestly didn’t ever really feel that. I thought he was over rated at the time rather than under rated. I am not at all averse to a grafter in midfield who isn’t flashy. Plenty of winning Rangers teams have had one. But I am always wary of midfielders who do the “unseen dirty work” in midfield - it is so often unseen because it doesn’t exist. Edu just wasn’t for me or quite a few others but I know there were a fair number of folk who had a different view at the time. Not that I was saying that when he scored the winner at Ibrox against Celtic right enough!

Walter Smith disagreed, good enough for me!

Back