Club Statement on Lyon

FSE fighting our fight whilst Rangers shrug their collective shoulders and say there's nothing we can do. Where's Stewart Robertson?
FSE fighting our fight. It’s the equivalent of a fans group putting out a statement, has absolutely zero sway

You honestly think Robertson and the club have just rolled over and accepted it without putting up a fight? I’m heavily critical when it’s warranted but your angers misplaced here in my opinion

FSE fighting our fight. It’s the equivalent of a fans group putting out a statement, has absolutely zero sway

You honestly think Robertson and the club have just rolled over and accepted it without putting up a fight? I’m heavily critical when it’s warranted but your angers misplaced here in my opinion

if they can file proceedings with the supreme court then why can't Rangers? Answer? This isn't costing Rangers money so they couldn't care less. This is their attitude when it comes to their customers. I've had this confirmed (in so many words) during a 3 hour dialogue with someone (naming no names) at the club when I complained about MyGers.

Our fans are suffering an illegal restriction of freedom and the best the club can do is say we'll try very very hard for a refund of the match ticket? Nah, sorry. Not good enough.

if they can file proceedings with the supreme court then why can't Rangers? Answer? This isn't costing Rangers money so they couldn't care less. This is their attitude when it comes to their customers. I've had this confirmed (in so many words) during a 3 hour dialogue with someone (naming no names) at the club when I complained about MyGers.

Our fans are suffering an illegal restriction of freedom and the best the club can do is say we'll try very very hard for a refund of the match ticket? Nah, sorry. Not good enough.
Can rangers file proceedings in foreign countries? Genuine question

Your mygers argument is one I can get behind but I think you’re way off with this one.

Your mygers argument is one I can get behind but I think you’re way off with this one.
It's not as easy as that IMO. Think the UEFA statutes would normally require the parties to agree to dispute resolution rather than go to court. Rangers themselves are being allowed to come to France and play the game, so it's not clear if they have standing to force the French authorities to allow people to come into France and allow them access to the game.

I'd imagine they don't have a good legal recourse and if they even had a chance, it'd be expensive.

Sadly that’s a pretty close estimation of what will happen.

This has the potential for a PR nightmare.

Based on the assumption that nothing too serious happened, I wouldn't see it as such, and would have zero sympathy for anyone involved on the French side.

Not sure I agree. It’s like us being in the same position and then the police here or the Government making a decision we can’t overrule. It’s the authorities that are to blame rather than the club IMO and there’s no way the club are going to be forced to forfeit the game for it.
There have to be consequence. UEFA cannot punish the local government of Lyon nor the Interior Ministry of France. But they can punish the football team Lyon (via fines and/or forcing them to play the entire game behind closed doors). Lyon the football team can then tell their supporters why they have been punished and urge them to vote against the local government and/or the national government.

Ultimately, tickets have been redacted on the week of the game. There has to be some consequences.

Meh, my two mates have pulled out and I'm supposed to be there till Saturday. Cannot be arsed with it now.
The excitement of going has been kicked into the long grass .

Am glad am not going now
What a cluster %^*&

Sadly that’s a pretty close estimation of what will happen.

This has the potential for a PR nightmare.
Don’t think the French police will hold back if there’s disruption and the festival. The French robocops won’t hesitate to start their pish

Hope the fans that travel over have a good time

Lyon should be forced to forfeit the match and be fined to compensate Rangers supporters being put out of pocket because of an entirely preventable situation.

It will never happen though.
It’s not Lyon’s fault any more than it would be ours if the separatists on Glasgow City Council decided to pull the plug on away supporters because of concerns over, say, the policing of an independence march which was planned.

I’m pretty sure a point was added when tickets were refunded after Blackpool friendly was cancelled earlier this season
If so I didn’t get mine so I’ll need to cry about that shortly

Neither the festival of lights nor the match have just been announced. They have had months to put this in place.
Unfortunately UEFA’s authority is limited to football and doesn’t trump any government.

The French government have been acting like scumbags when engaging with any British organisation since brexit.
UEFA can force Lyon to play the game elsewhere, where fans can be accommodated.
As has been said, they've had months to plan it and UEFA rules make it clear away fans need to be given an allocation.

Of course. Just need to get a UK law firm with a local office to do it. Can only imagine how long it takes their judicial system to do anything though.

If all it’s taken is a charity not even linked to the club to apply, then it really shows the club up.
I've no idea who those people are, but surely to fùck it hasn't been that easy?

Not a good look for Rangers here if that tweet above is accurate.

Funny that as we are also waiting on the Benfica compensation. So far we've been offered a club tie !
Please tell me they are not still playing the club tie compensation card?

Same tactic they used 25 years ago when handling complaints and it was probably old hat then.

Already cancelled my flights and accommodation. Absolute fucking shambles. Lost a few hundred quid and treated like a total mug. I’ll be forgetting about Euro away trips for a long time.

Already cancelled my flights and accommodation. Absolute fucking shambles. Lost a few hundred quid and treated like a total mug. I’ll be forgetting about Euro away trips for a long time.
I'm in the same boat. Absolutely scunnered with the whole thing. Spent hours last night cancelling and losing money to now being angry and upset at the same time that I'm not going because of some incompetent arsehole who should be getting sacked over this.

Back