Club tweet about B teams.

What should happen now, after seeing that out in the public domain, is that those running the SPFL and SFA should be bombarded with requests as to why they are not acting and along with that calls from all clubs for immediate resignations from those parties.

Essentially, our leadership has called them out publicly and it should embarrass them into resigning.

Unfortunately, the opposite will likely happen and I'd not be at all surprised if the Rangers will receive sanctions.

The SPFL and SFA hierarchy are f*cking morons, a complete lack of vision for the game in Scotland.

Their job is to do what's best for Scottish football, not what's best for Rangers and Ceptic. We're doing it for our benefit and nobody else.

Absolute nonsense.

Us and them have the best youth players in the country.

From 17-21 the current lack of structure hinders the development of those players.

The best thing for Scottish football is to have its best young players developed to their full potential.

Last edited:
Did you even watch the video?
  • Our B team wouldn’t be permitted to be promoted, even if we won the league.
  • Higher attendance, giving the lowland league teams a boost.
  • Sponsor for that league being mooted.
  • Possible TV deal for that league.
  • Instead of sending our youngsters out to 12 different teams, they play together and continue their European challenge games.
I'm not sure the attendance thing will happen. The petrofac cup has had the colts team in for years and the attendances were rubbish.

I'm not sure the attendance thing will happen. The petrofac cup has had the colts team in for years and the attendances were rubbish.
Just had a look, biggest attendance was almost 500 (2019/20). Some games, a Gretna 2008 game for example, had 50 fans in attendance. I’m sure we’d bring at least 50 to most games.

I think it would be different if the team were playing in a league competition with most games at weekends. The Challenge Cup games were barely advertised or pushed by the club.

Am I right in saying that the colt teams won't score points and would therefore just be playing glorified friendlies in the Lowland League ? What is the point then, if we are doing this to get youngsters more experience to push them towards the first team ?

Quite convincing (I was broadly a sceptic about how this would benefit the wider Scottish game), would urge everyone to watch the part with Craig Mullholland which I consider the most important. Key takeaways for me:

- In Scotland, there is no pathway for players over 18, but under 21. Few clubs have the infrastructure in place to actually run a youth set up.
- Rangers (essentially OF) involvement will be used to bring a sponsor to the Lowland League
- Rangers involvement will be used to bring a broadcast deal to the Lowland League
- It has worked elsewhere: Croatia, a country with a similar population to Scotland, reached the WC final in 2018. 60% of the squad came through one of the larger club's B-teams playing in the lower divisions.

@sheddensbear

I know you are a fellow sceptic, did you watch Mullholland's part in the vid?

I'm not very up to speed with lower leagues etc , but I see the colts league being the next biggest league in Scotland ...

Reactions: TQ3
Am I right in saying that the colt teams won't score points and would therefore just be playing glorified friendlies in the Lowland League ? What is the point then, if we are doing this to get youngsters more experience to push them towards the first team ?

They'd score points. They wouldn't be promoted if they finish first though. The one year thing basically seems like an experiment to also prove the benefits of the colts teams for other teams.

If you watch the video, the one year in the Lowland league would be ran alongside our 'best vs best' programme which we did a few years ago where we played academies outwith Scotland.

Just now, our youth teams play nothing but 'glorified friendlies' against youth academies with vastly inferior resources that provide little challenge or development opportunities.

It's a funny and tragic topic at the same time.

On one hand the counter argument is fans of other clubs/other clubs themselves might not want to have our youth teams in there

Yet our top league in the country has 'the split' model that every fan seem to hate

Some laugh yet utterly pathetic those in charge want to typically keep things as they are

There's no downside here. We spend circa £2 million pounds on the Academy. I would imagine that them across the city spend the same. Scottish Football is Rangers and them. That's the reality. I have worked with the SFA on and off over the years and I can assure you that they are quite possibly the most amateurish and self serving of organisations. They are stuck in a time warp and incapable of change or adaptation. I really hope that this takes off, fans go and support the Colts and give the host clubs a coin or two as they are supporting this idea. Once these lower league clubs see the crowds and finance they will want it. The shameful thing is that the know what a big team can bring to their league.

Let's be brutally honest here. The players in the lower leagues at the moment are journeymen who won't reach the top of the game but there just might be a player or two who are a hidden gem and may be snapped up.

I think it is a very, very clever interview, or set of interviews. It lays out clearly that the club have engaged with all bar 3 Scottish clubs, with those 3 being lower league clubs, and states that the presentations made to the SFA and SPFL were changed off the back of meetings, making this not a 'Rangers idea' any more, but an idea that has been led by Rangers but meeting the needs of all clubs. It shows that this is something the clubs want, the work has been done, the initiative costed, analyzed, discussed and initially approved by the clubs, but that it is being held up by the beaks, who are supposed to be there to carry out the will of the members.

If you add this to the dossier last year and the clear lack of joined up thinking, it is not hard to picture Rangers playing a longer game here, trying to help direct Scottish football WITH the other clubs, while at the same time using the work we are doing to expose the utterly incompetent creatures who currently wear blazers.

As was said several times, this clearly benefits Rangers, but if we can add sponsorship, attendance figures, perhaps even broadcasting, all while preserving the integrity of the pyramid then we would concurrently raise the standard of football in the lower leagues, the level of finances and we would push towards improving the game from the bottom up, instead of leaving it to feed of the scraps falling from above.

The fact that all of the work has been done on the idea, over the course of a year, and that a broad agreement has been reached, while the SPFL and the SFA sit on their hands refusing to move things along is absolutely conclusive proof of at least one of 2 things;

They are not willing or able to change Scottish football for the better, or let the clubs at least have direct input on that.

They are not willing or able to engage with anything that Rangers puts on the table.

Along with the fiasco last season, either or both of the above should be more than enough to mortally wound the idiots in charge. It won't be, but I think it is clear we are very deliberately building a case for it that will eventually be impossible to ignore.

Absolutely love the air of professionalism emanating from that video. All three spoke brilliantly.

And a few wee well placed digs at the SFA and SPFL which I think hint at broader efforts to force change.

The problem with Scottish football is the majority of clubs are unable to look beyond their own petty agendas and focus on what is best for the game overall.

At a time when the lower league clubs are on their knees we now have a scenario where substantial revenue will bypass them and go into the lowland leagues. With attendance at Ibrox likely to be limited at the start of the season, there is no doubt the colts games will sell out whenever we play.

You then factor in TV revenue and the fees both teams will pay to join the league and it becomes worth money that is bigger than anything outside the top half of the SPL.

Most of the Challenge Cup games were played midweek and in the opening years, we played the home games at Forthbank Stadium in Stirling.

The 19/20 season run to the semis, we played Berwick Rangers, Stranraer, Ballymena Utd, Solihull Moors and Inverness all away. The home game to Wrexham on a Saturday had an attendance of 5,426.

If Rangers Colts are playing teams in on weekends and on days the first team aren't playing, they'll get decent attendances for that level.

I've said a few times on here, that croatia is the one country we must look at. So similar in population, but they dont half turn out football players.

Since they arrived on the scene after the end of Yugoslavia, they've been an ever present in the major tournaments and not just there to make up the numbers.

The Scottish governing authorities are pathetic. They have little desire to improve the game - or even discuss the possibilities of doing so.
That’s because mediocre shit clubs never backed our basic vote of no confidence on the Govern Body, we reap what Liewell sowed!

Back