Club v Country Matches

WDYGH

Was thinking earlier about the games we played v Iraq in the 1985/86 season and read an article about them.

It got me thinking about how uncommon these club v country games are. I’m surprised they don’t happen more often, eg. say in the lead up to big tournaments or for testimonials.

Have we played any other countries? Anyone been to a club v country match?

I'm pretty sure we played China in the early 80s too.

I saw Rangers v Scotland in 1978. We horsed them, maybe 5-1? Memory isnt what it once was.

Played at Ibrox

China 1982
Australia 1984
New Zealand 1984 - Billy McKay Testimonial

Scotland XI? 1978 John Greig Testimonial

And on a competitive basis Monaco home and away

Last edited:
Was thinking earlier about the games we played v Iraq in the 1985/86 season and read an article about them.

It got me thinking about how uncommon these club v country games are. I’m surprised they don’t happen more often, eg. say in the lead up to big tournaments or for testimonials.

Did we not play Scotland at some point in the mid 80s or at least a Scotland XI for a friendly Or testimonial.?

I’d quite like to play the Republic of Ireland in Dublin.
BnDN6KsIIAALqi-.jpg:large

Beat China 3-1 around 1983-1984.

Gordon McQueen and Joe Jordan didnt turn up til halftime, so we had to loan Scotland Forsyth and Johnstone for the first half. We'd have won by more with them.
Your memory is playing tricks on you, sir.

Derek Johnstone scored for Rangers with a fine header in the first couple of minutes.

Back