Clubs going to the wall

If any English championship or League 1 sides go to the wall, I would love Rangers to explore the option of buying and rebranding the team for our colts. As much as I would hate to see any club disappear, it really could be a back door option for us to get our foot in.

Scottish football is doomed anyway. Two clubs taking all the money, winning all the trophies etc is ridiculous. There's no competition and sport isnt worth watching without competition. Isnt it obvious?

Jeezus, imagine a few years back if you said we would go through a season with no crowds ! You'd be dismissed quicker than Gregor Stevens. Unbelievable. Clubs will go to the wall across UK, make no mistake. It wont be a few clubs dying, it will be loads. Govt wont help. TV companies will make plenty money, they will call the tune. It might be the chance we need to get into the EC, I doubt the EPL.

Not bothered if this goes against the grain here but I don't want any club to go to the wall.

First and foremost I want them all to witness our return to the top - hopefully this season.

I don't want to see people lose their jobs among professional clubs - backroom staff.

For the smaller clubs - as much as our journey through the lower leagues sickens me, I still felt a warmth to the lower league clubs - especially from fans and communities - who were all proud to host Rangers coming to their town.

There are also people out there where football will be one of the few things to keep them going.

Nah, feck 'em all.

Most of these teams have survived on crumbs for decades with very low attendances and probably very little income, whole new ball game now with more or less no income for them to tide them over, wouldn't like to see any team going bust.

Our own team could have went to the wall, so don't think anyone should want any other team going through what we did,some of these teams have been around for over 100 years, everything possible should be done to help them, but outside their own fans nobody will probably care or bat an eye, such a shame what's happening.

Most of these teams have survived on crumbs for decades with very low attendances and probably very little income, whole new ball game now with more or less no income for them to tide them over, wouldn't like to see any team going bust.

Our own team could have went to the wall, so don't think anyone should want any other team going through what we did,some of these teams have been around for over 100 years, everything possible should be done to help them, but outside their own fans nobody will probably care or bat an eye, such a shame what's happening.
Its going to be survival of the fittest for many industries, not just football. With the ending of furlough, the govt are saying business needs to stand on their own two feet. Football will get no special treatment.

Its going to be survival of the fittest for many industries, not just football. With the ending of furlough, the govt are saying business needs to stand on their own two feet. Football will get no special treatment.
Businesses need customers, If we go into another lockdown and given the numbers on the increase it's quite possible we'll have another lockdown and those businesses will be out of business.

Most of the smaller clubs have small wage bills, but that will add up each week to a fair amount if you have no income coming in, off the top of my head i can only think of councils helping them by reducing their rates bill,but catch 22 is councils are also being hit hard with cutbacks.

No easy answer, clubs need players but players are the main source of all their outgoings,pay the players off then you can't play football. Sad to see what's happening.

The clubs that voted us down the league’s for the sake of sporting integrity can go and take a flying fk.
If they all went to the wall I couldn’t care less.
The old saying comes to mind over all these teams that voted us down. Watch what you wish for as it could come back and bite you on the bum

Financial difficulties could come to all clubs and I include ourselves in that, maybe last or second last, but they could come so I’ll hang fire on wishing any other club struggles through this pandemic.

Brechin, Forfar, Montrose and Arbroath. Then just form one club out of the ashes. Angus United or the likes.
Falkirk, Stirling Albion, East Stirling the same. Stirling FC.
Dunfermline, Raith, East Fife and Alloa the same. Fife FC.
11 clubs into 3.

Honestly not particularly fussed. Some of them will likely hit the skids. Just so long as it's not us, I'm not particularly bothered who it is. A number of them will just downsize, if the pandemic bleeds into next season then I could see a number of the top end clubs in the League sell the few assets they have left and just about keep themselves solvent. While likely bringing in cheaper players. Very few will go through what we went through.

Scottish football could do with a number of clubs leaving the professional set up.

Although I wouldn’t like to see them fold in this manner after 2012 I wouldn’t go out my way to help them either.

I think the scum could be in real trouble with cash flow come January

there fans are nowhere near as loyal as ours

they keep bleating about getting fans back in they are desperate for cash

I can seefrench boydie getting sold

I’m amazed at the amount of attention Alloa gets. We’re talking absolute nobodies, one of the most tin pot clubs and supports in the country, yet they often top our most hated lists.
All due to the men in charge! We should know more than anyone that the men in charge should never equate to the club!

So, for all those wanting Alloa to fold due to Mulraney. Just remember they have a good community set-up, low paid hard workers and normal fans who will also favour us as their big team!

Can anyone really see league 2 matches happen with no fans and no tv deal ?

Clubs would be better off mothballing the stadium and firing all players and management.

They have almost zero revenue.

I will second the Brechin nomination. A club who dodged relegation and have attendances of 1 man and his dug yet have a say in how our game is run (absolutely mental).
Far to many wee diddy clubs have far too much say in how the game is run here. If enough clubs were to fold then reconstruction could happen and hopefully a complete change at the top.

Maybe we could just call the league now and hand out the prizes, to keep them all afloat obviously :)

Most of them can go, anything that opens the door to us heading to the EPL. Same will happen down there, might not be a better chance

I’ve like a few comments on this thread, all of which have contradicted each other. So I guess I don’t know.

I’ll sympathise with any club who sympathised with us during our difficult years.

The rest can go fuck themselves.

If we’re left with a shambles of a league, so be it – it increases our chances of leaving for a more competitive league.

I expect the after-effects of Covid-19 to increase the pace with which we’ll see changes to the football landscape across Europe.

A few of the lower league sides could really struggle without ticket sales every week. Not sure I actively want any club to go to the wall but we could absolutely do with less clubs
Sensible mate.

It`ll never catch on.

The clubs that voted us down the league’s for the sake of sporting integrity can go and take a flying fk.
If they all went to the wall I couldn’t care less.
We need a bit of clarification here Bro,nobody voted us down the league,the SPL voted us out the game and we had to apply for entry to the 3rd division

Not bothered if this goes against the grain here but I don't want any club to go to the wall.

First and foremost I want them all to witness our return to the top - hopefully this season.

I don't want to see people lose their jobs among professional clubs - backroom staff.

For the smaller clubs - as much as our journey through the lower leagues sickens me, I still felt a warmth to the lower league clubs - especially from fans and communities - who were all proud to host Rangers coming to their town.

There are also people out there where football will be one of the few things to keep them going.
Great post.

Whilst I understand what football means for fans and communities, I won't shed a tear for clubs up here if karma decides to be a bitch.

Most clubs wouldn't be missed in terms of entertainment value, so they wouldn't be a great loss to the beautiful game.

I’d be amazed if some clubs don’t go to the wall the money they get from crowds is essential for their survival.I can understand some of the sentiments, but to be honest I want none of them to face extinction because of this virus.

Can anyone really see league 2 matches happen with no fans and no tv deal ?

Clubs would be better off mothballing the stadium and firing all players and management.

They have almost zero revenue.
They get a share of the Premiership TV money as it is all folded into the one prize money fund.

Back