Clyde FC

As a speedway fan, it’s a shame to see somewhere I spent a massive part of my childhood, getting flattened.

Sadly the same story for speedway stadiums across the UK where selling to a developer easily tops income from crowds of less than 1000 weekly during the summer. Very few success stories these days.

You wonder how they survive. Hope the 'Crownpoint' thing works out.
Recall watching The Famous at Shawfield, awful place, real shallow steps, lights all round the track for dog racing.

French Street is still there. No idea where the park would have been though.
The park was in the brush behind the old wire works and not that far from the Clyde. The wire works were in Williamson street and behind it was an old oval football stadium you could see the outline of it about 30 years ago now it’s where the athletes village stands now

20 year lease. The Third Lanark guys didn't stand a chance with GDC
I said it before, but the guys that own, if thats the right word, Third Lanark missed a trick when the Lowland League were looking for clubs. I'm sure they could have found some businessmen that would have funded a return to senior football. They could have at worst shared Lesser Hampden with QP. The Cathkin dream seems over now though.
Shawfield may have been a dump, but still a great place to visit with Rangers.

I remember reading many years ago that back in the early days Rangers had their eye on Shawfield as a potential ground but were outbid for it by Clyde. I worked on the turnstiles at Shawfield (greyhounds) back in the early 70's and have some happy memories of it from then. It has to be said though that Shawfield was always a horrible ground for any football spectator. The dog track meant you were well away from the pitch and the low terracing never lent itself to good viewing. Shawfield was the only ground where I can remember seeing a radiator on the middle of a terracing.

As a speedway fan, it’s a shame to see somewhere I spent a massive part of my childhood, getting flattened.

Sadly the same story for speedway stadiums across the UK where selling to a developer easily tops income from crowds of less than 1000 weekly during the summer. Very few success stories these days.

Edinburgh getting moved from Armadale, think they are getting a purpose built place up at livingston though.

The park was in the brush behind the old wire works and not that far from the Clyde. The wire works were in Williamson street and behind it was an old oval football stadium you could see the outline of it about 30 years ago now it’s where the athletes village stands now
That is not where the original Barrowfield Park was. The Barrowfield Park of the early 1880’s as described in post 6 was about 200 yards from the site of the existing Shawfield, near French St, a triangle of land between Carstairs St, Colvend St and the River Clyde. It is near the site of the Police HQ which was built about 10 years ago.

Last edited:
I remember reading many years ago that back in the early days Rangers had their eye on Shawfield as a potential ground but were outbid for it by Clyde. I worked on the turnstiles at Shawfield (greyhounds) back in the early 70's and have some happy memories of it from then. It has to be said though that Shawfield was always a horrible ground for any football spectator. The dog track meant you were well away from the pitch and the low terracing never lent itself to good viewing. Shawfield was the only ground where I can remember seeing a radiator on the middle of a terracing.
The main stand at PSV Eindhoven has radiators above your head. Brilliant on a cold day watching the game!

The radiator in the betting ring at Shawfield was equally welcome!

That is not where the original Barrowfield Park was. The Barrowfield Park of the early 1880’s as described in post 6 was about 200 yards from the site of the existing Shawfield, on French St, actually on the site of the Police HQ which was built about 10 years ago.

Springfield Park​

Off Springfield Road in Dalmarnock, the park used to be the home of Strathclyde Juniors, an amateur team who plied their trade up until the mid 1960s.

The land on which the park was situated was cleared to make way for the Commonwealth Games athletes village in 2014.
f

Springfield Park​

Off Springfield Road in Dalmarnock, the park used to be the home of Strathclyde Juniors, an amateur team who plied their trade up until the mid 1960s.

The land on which the park was situated was cleared to make way for the Commonwealth Games athletes village in 2014.

Springfield Park​

That’s what it will be then sorry for the confusion lads

I remember going to White City to watch speedway which was next to Ibrox opposite Bellahouston Park PRW end
Charlie Monk was the Glasgow Tigers favourite at the time
Barry Briggs and Ivan Mauger big stars as was Ove Fundin
Feck I am old HaHa

I remember going to White City to watch speedway which was next to Ibrox opposite Bellahouston Park PRW end
Feck I am old HaHa
Friday nights i seem to recall.

Shawfield will undoubtedly be sold at some point.but Billy king the owner doesn't seem In a rush to sell up.he has messed about with the attached trainer's for a long while now.some even renewed their license in the hope of the track reopening. It would be a sad day if greyhound racing doesn't return as Thornton looks like it's days are numbered as well.back in the day the very best dogs ran in the Scottish derby at shawfield.

Before Clyde moved to Shawfield they played at Barrowfield Park in Dalmarnock. This game advertised below in early 1880’s before Celtic were formed.

So with this evidence, are we to believe the misty eyed notion of the rattlers that they were the champions and pioneers of the feeding of the oppressed and downtrodden?

Clearly Clyde are the original Catholic helping club, so any of this nonsense spouted by the scum should be laughed down with vigour, for the rest of time!

That is not where the original Barrowfield Park was. The Barrowfield Park of the early 1880’s as described in post 6 was about 200 yards from the site of the existing Shawfield, on French St, actually on the site of the Police HQ which was built about 10 years ago.

That area,Dalmarnock,Bridgeton,parkhead ,Tollcross and Shettleston was at one time rammed with football clubs.
Bridgeton Waverley
Strathclyde
Parkhead
Clyde
them
Eastern
Shettleston
Vale of Clyde
Bridgeton Thistle
Shawfield(technically Oatlands)
Albatross
To name a few.

South side had tons as well.

So with this evidence, are we to believe the misty eyed notion of the rattlers that they were the champions and pioneers of the feeding of the oppressed and downtrodden?

Clearly Clyde are the original Catholic helping club, so any of this nonsense spouted by the scum should be laughed down with vigour, for the rest of time!
It wasn’t only Clyde doing these charity matches at this time…Glengarry park in Swanston St is actually a street adjoining French St the site of the first charity match mentioned.

It wasn’t only Clyde doing these charity matches at this time…Glengarry park in Swanston St is actually a street adjoining French St the site of the first charity match mentioned.

That poor childrens dinner table was the one that the priest set up them to fundraiser for. He was involved with Hibs at the time.Just wish St Peters were busy that day…

The main stand at PSV Eindhoven has radiators above your head. Brilliant on a cold day watching the game!

The radiator in the betting ring at Shawfield was equally welcome!

There was also one on the terracing at the Main Street end of Shawfield.

Always thought of Clyde having leanings to the tims?
I remember my old man telling me they allowed local priests in free and so had more 'clerics' at Shawfield on a Saturday than the big bheasts doon the road had.

Are you aware that in May 1903, Hibernian played a friendly to raise funds towards the construction of the first RC school in Leith? Their opposition that day was a Glasgow club called Rangers.

Are you aware that in May 1903, Hibernian played a friendly to raise funds towards the construction of the first RC school in Leith? Their opposition that day was a Glasgow club called Rangers.
Interestingly enough, no I didn’t. Good fact though. Rangers have always had that class to go and play no matter what the reason. To raise money and to play for charity is something that wasn’t and still isn’t a new thing for the club.

Everyday is a school day, however!

Feck I am old HaHa
I was 17 and my then girlfriend used to take me and pay me in. I had to pay for cinema on Thursday and Saturday.

Shawfield will undoubtedly be sold at some point.but Billy king the owner doesn't seem In a rush to sell up.he has messed about with the attached trainer's for a long while now.some even renewed their license in the hope of the track reopening. It would be a sad day if greyhound racing doesn't return as Thornton looks like it's days are numbered as well.back in the day the very best dogs ran in the Scottish derby at shawfield.

He would probably let his nephew Stefan develop it. I always wondered if he was a bit difficult to deal with. At one point having Clyde,Speedway and the dugs only for them all to leave..... still works in one of his bookie shops I believe, which given his money it would seem he is set in his ways.

Sad pretty iconic place and enjoyed a few nights at all of the above.

My memory of Shawfield is not a nice one. An admission. I was 10. Just before Christmas 1957. My father and uncles took me to Ibrox every home game but The Rangers were playing away (Dundee or Aberdeen) and I wasn’t allowed to go. All my pals were Celtic supporters and they were playing Clyde at Shawfield, almost on my doorstep, and I went with them and got lifted over the turnstile. Some wanted to get on the wall at the halfway line but others wanted to go behind the goal so that is where we went. There was a huge crowd. Celtic were on a high having beat us 7-1 in the LC Final a few weeks earlier. Just as the game started there was a huge surge at the halfway line and a young boy was crushed to death.

My memory of Shawfield is not a nice one. An admission. I was 10. Just before Christmas 1957. My father and uncles took me to Ibrox every home game but The Rangers were playing away (Dundee or Aberdeen) and I wasn’t allowed to go. All my pals were Celtic supporters and they were playing Clyde at Shawfield, almost on my doorstep, and I went with them and got lifted over the turnstile. Some wanted to get on the wall at the halfway line but others wanted to go behind the goal so that is where we went. There was a huge crowd. Celtic were on a high having beat us 7-1 in the LC Final a few weeks earlier. Just as the game started there was a huge surge at the halfway line and a young boy was crushed to death.

Shawfield was without a shadow of a doubt the worst ground I have ever been at to watch a football match.
It was basically a dog track with a football pitch stuck in the middle
With all the huge pylons for the evening dugs it was tricky to find a spot with an uninterrupted view

Interestingly enough, no I didn’t. Good fact though. Rangers have always had that class to go and play no matter what the reason. To raise money and to play for charity is something that wasn’t and still isn’t a new thing for the club.

Everyday is a school day, however!
We also played a match in Belfast to help raise money for Sandy Row Orange Hall.

Back