Clyde FC

It wasn’t only Clyde doing these charity matches at this time…Glengarry park in Swanston St is actually a street adjoining French St the site of the first charity match mentioned.

Swanston St runs parallel with Carstairs St. Webster St and French St were the other two connecting streets.

Shawfield will undoubtedly be sold at some point.but Billy king the owner doesn't seem In a rush to sell up.he has messed about with the attached trainer's for a long while now.some even renewed their license in the hope of the track reopening. It would be a sad day if greyhound racing doesn't return as Thornton looks like it's days are numbered as well.back in the day the very best dogs ran in the Scottish derby at shawfield.
The RSPCA have been lobbying the government to have greyhound racing banned in Scotland.

2-2 draw im sure ,a horrible freezing january saturday
From memory i thought it was either a draw or a narrow Rangers win and it was a dreich day or as you say a horrible freezing day, a long time ago but stuck in my mind that it was not an enjoyable day. Must have been about 40 years ago, strange how some games stay in the memory.

I remember reading many years ago that back in the early days Rangers had their eye on Shawfield as a potential ground but were outbid for it by Clyde. I worked on the turnstiles at Shawfield (greyhounds) back in the early 70's and have some happy memories of it from then. It has to be said though that Shawfield was always a horrible ground for any football spectator. The dog track meant you were well away from the pitch and the low terracing never lent itself to good viewing. Shawfield was the only ground where I can remember seeing a radiator on the middle of a terracing.
I was born and raised in Springburn to a diehard Rangers/Unionist family. Moved to Johnstone around age 9/10, there were a few Clyde supporting families within the local authority estate in which we were fortunate enought to live, but interestingly all were from Townhead/Germiston/Garngad. To a man I found them to be very anti-Rangers/Unionist/Loyalist, and whilst their sons and daughters were without exception educated at the local non-denominational school the common link of Bill Struth was dismissed as 'not known/irrelevant/before my time'. Many were work-shy individuals employed at the Linwood car factory under its various unsuccessful owners.
Not nice people at all in my experience, I would not be sorry to see their club fall out of the senior leagues (Oatlands has virtually disappeared, majority Rangers Bridgeton retains only approx 10% of its pre WW2 population).
Would anyone other than the oldest generation of Southsiders actually miss a club who deserted their roots years ago ? Their current day supporters seem more inclined towards a move to EK rather than returning to Glasgow, the loss of Shawfield Stadium represents the loss of yet another link with Glasgow's past, but Clyde FC - who the hell cares ?

One of my pals is a Clyde supporter, although only because his school pals were. All his family were Bluenoses. He went on a Clyde bus to Wembley in the 70s and said it was like a match at Ibrox. Most of them were Orangemen in Cathcart Rd, Rutherglen.
He says most of them are happy Clyde are back in Hamilton as it's easier to get to. Their support is still mainly from their traditional areas of Rutherglen and Bridgeton and they picked up very few new fans fron Cumbernauld.

Last i heard Cathkin was leased to some foundation linked to Jimmy Johnstone...they even painted the crush barriers at one end of the park green and white.
Correct all the JJA kids teams play and train there it’s on a long term lease now.

I’m a Bridgeton boy and I went to Shawfield at every opportunity along with my mates who were all Rangers supporters. My dad and grandad were Clyde supporters and good church attending Protestants. Never was aware of any Celtic leanings or connections. Rangers were and always will be my team but have fond memories of going to Shawfield.

fond memories of shawfield ,my 2nd ever rangers game christmas eve think it was 66/67 season ,just got in the ground and heavy snow started to fall about 2pm the game was postponed and played in a midweek early febuary ,rangers won 5-1 was just a boy and alwas had a soft spot for shawfield ever since ,the snow falling on christmas eve as a kid was magical

You'd have to be a "more experienced" football supporter to have seen us at Shawfield, because I'm nearer 50 than I am 40 and I've never seen us play there.

I've been there for the dog racing but I'd sooner sit through a Clyde match than watch dogs run in a circle, although it's probably a close thing. Also seen the dogs racing at Cliftonhill, but Christ knows how long ago that stopped.

My dad still goes to the dogs, but I think the one in Fife that he attends on a Saturday evening is the last one left and It'll be a shame for the guys who go if it were to disappear. Having said that I can also understand people being opposed to it, because I oppose it myself. I suspect however that my reasons for doing so aren't exactly the same.

(Animal rights lot will claim a van-load of mutts with broken legs are clubbed to death. Truth is that many owners are callous bastards who will dump dogs that have career-ending but non-fatal injuries, or have reached retirement. There is also a very common misconception that a 5yo greyhound is completely unsuited to being a house-pet, when they are in fact far more suitable and much more trustworthy than a lot of dogs you'll see around housing estates.)

Sorry for going off-topic and on to the dogs, but if it makes anyone re-consider their options when looking for a pet poochie, and that results in a loving pal being on its back, on a couch, with its legs in the air, rather than being dumped on a 60mph road and ending up with a farmer sticking a bullet in it then it was worth it.

It was basically a dog track with a football pitch stuck in the middle
With all the huge pylons for the evening dugs it was tricky to find a spot with an uninterrupted view
The Shawfield Greyhound Co bought the Stadium off Clyde in the early 30’s. Since 1932 to the Pandemic, it’s prime function was dog racing.

That area,Dalmarnock,Bridgeton,parkhead ,Tollcross and Shettleston was at one time rammed with football clubs.
Bridgeton Waverley
Strathclyde
Parkhead
Clyde
them
Eastern
Shettleston
Vale of Clyde
Bridgeton Thistle
Shawfield(technically Oatlands)
Albatross
To name a few.

South side had tons as well.

Don't forget that there was another team that played in the east end of Glasgow before any of those clubs - Rangers!

I’m a Bridgeton boy and I went to Shawfield at every opportunity along with my mates who were all Rangers supporters. My dad and grandad were Clyde supporters and good church attending Protestants. Never was aware of any Celtic leanings or connections. Rangers were and always will be my team but have fond memories of going to Shawfield.
This was my experience of working in Bridgeton in the early 70's and later in the 80's, hence my earlier reply to the T#rrier lite suggestion. I also worked in later years with a guy sadly no longer with us who was a Clyde fanatic. For me this guy was the template for what football supporters in Scotland should be. He had zero interest in either us or the other mob, there would be no snide comment on a Monday if we'd had a bad result, he was only interested in Clyde. Oh that the rest would follow suit. [Not holding my breath].

Last i heard Cathkin was leased to some foundation linked to Jimmy Johnstone...they even painted the crush barriers at one end of the park green and white.
Seen they had done some restoration work and wondered why they were that colour!!
No need !! :oops:

I remember going to White City to watch speedway which was next to Ibrox opposite Bellahouston Park PRW end
Charlie Monk was the Glasgow Tigers favourite at the time
Barry Briggs and Ivan Mauger big stars as was Ove Fundin
Feck I am old HaHa
Charlie monk, not heard that name in years. My father used to talk about him he loved the speedway.

I went to John Street school in Bridgeton back in the 1960's. There were plenty of Clyde supporters at our school back in those days.

You wonder how they survive. Hope the 'Crownpoint' thing works out.
Recall watching The Famous at Shawfield, awful place, real shallow steps, lights all round the track for dog racing.
Moving to Crownpoint will have similar issues, unless they do away with the athletic track around it.

I went to John Street school in Bridgeton back in the 1960's. There were plenty of Clyde supporters at our school back in those days.
Any Clyde fan I've ever met was a 'bluenose' also, at least in where their allegiances lay elsewhere in the city.

Yet I can still remember reading that back in the day Thistle being described as the 'wee Rangers' (half a dozen rainbow hunks have just fainted reading this) and Clyde as the wee sellik.

(Animal rights lot will claim a van-load of mutts with broken legs are clubbed to death. Truth is that many owners are callous bastards who will dump dogs that have career-ending but non-fatal injuries, or have reached retirement. There is also a very common misconception that a 5yo greyhound is completely unsuited to being a house-pet, when they are in fact far more suitable and much more trustworthy than a lot of dogs you'll see around housing estates.)

Sorry for going off-topic and on to the dogs, but if it makes anyone re-consider their options when looking for a pet poochie, and that results in a loving pal being on its back, on a couch, with its legs in the air, rather than being dumped on a 60mph road and ending up with a farmer sticking a bullet in it then it was worth it.

My mate has a retired racing greyhound. You couldn’t meet a nicer, friendlier dog.

Went to a Clyde game with my dad in the 70s, can’t recall who was playing (not us) but the pies were good!

Now you r asking, 1971. I was in Willie Millers class.

I didn't know Miller but I well remember some of the boys who played in the same school team as him. They won every school football competition they played in and were some team. You're bound to know a few of my old Brigton pals.

I didn't know Miller but I well remember some of the boys who played in the same school team as him. They won every school football competition they played in and were some team. You're bound to know a few of my old Brigton pals.

My Dad went to John Street in the 50s and was a Clyde supporter. Rather surprised to hear some of the suggestions in this thread about leanings.

My Dad went to John Street in the 50s and was a Clyde supporter. Rather surprised to hear some of the suggestions in this thread about leanings.
I think it’s a myth that grew arms and legs. My granda and father supported Clyde both from Bridgeton, my father in law from Castlemilk supported them as well. None of them or their mates had leanings to Celtic, mostly only bothered about Clyde. My father in the 60’s ended up supporting and going to watch Rangers, but he still went to see Clyde occasionally.

Back