CMA provisionally finds illegal price-fixing of Rangers FC merchandise

I have said this in regard to this board a few times with the last time due to the shambles of putting nothing on for the thousands of fans that couldn’t make it to Seville and it has been said on numerous other threads when feeling let down and ripped off by the club.

This board just like many others that have come before them view us as CUSTOMERS and not the blood that flows through the club.

Their opinion of us the fans (The paying customer in their eyes) is no different to some of the scumbags that we have seen off over the last 10 years or so.

They are completely detached from the man in the terraces, these are meant to be experienced business people, pathetic stuff again from them.

Some of them would be run out of a jnr club never mind a professional club.

Amateurs
Total over reaction

There's were some of the paterson money will be going. If we turnover 70+ million that's 7m ridiculous amount of money to lose for sheer incompetence

won't be that, surely?

The 10% penalty is the cap, but the fine is based on relevant income - which should be the income related to the relevant product market. It'll also be based on the year concerned - so the penalty will be based on shirt turnover and IP licensing turnover etc in financial year 2018-2019

In 2003 Man U were hit with a £1.6m fine for 5 months involvement in a price fixing scheme, where their statutory 10% cap for the relevant year was £11m.

Last edited:
Another day another shambles by the keystone cops that pass for a board. God knows how these individuals have managed to do so well in business.

Stv and the bbc both carry the story on there websites nothing about the court case across the city.
There is the problem with the media no wonder they are dying. tick tock

…and memorial gardens. And Edmiston House. And accommodation for disabled fans. And ticket operations. And communications.

As I said in another thread recently, we can’t allow this board to fall asleep at the wheel. They rightly received plaudits for delivering us from the spivs and eventually landing the title back home… but overall we’ve had our pants pulled down in public on far too many financial and legal matters for my liking.
The jewel in the crown of their fuckwittery was the friendly against them. Truly a chasm of understanding what this club is about.

The relationship with JD Sport at that time was such that we were at crown court yet they believe we colluded to rip off us supporters.

It's more likely that fat Ashley was trying to undermine the other retailers and we reached a compromise against that or even forced the issue via contract agreements.

Last edited:
won't be that, surely?

The 10% penalty is the cap, but the fine is based on relevant income - which should be the income related to the relevant product market. It'll also be based on the year concerned - so the penalty will be based on shirt turnover and IP licensing turnover etc in financial year 2018-2019

In 2003 Man U were hit with a £1.6m fine for 5 months involvement in a price fixing scheme, where their statutory 10% cap for the relevant year was £11m.

From what I have read the CMA appears to be saying that Rangers liability within this matter was "limited". Surely any sanction which may result would have to be proportionate taking that into account?

Rangers have went all "Boris Johnson" on this by saying, we didn't do much wrong and it was only for a little time.
The fact that we are involved in "ripping off fans of their hard earned cash", should see someone get their jotters.....

Why do people just start blaming the club before all the full facts are out. People always seem to want to batter into the club. My reading of this is the club aren't much at fault, and haven't even been found guilty yet.

Even funnier when those folks blame this Board and this was happened in 2018 with a different commercial director and Chairman...

I’ve no idea of what the likely outcome of this is for us but it does occur to me that the only people who would have been affected by the club’s alleged conduct are the fans. I don’t imagine any fan wants to see us punished for this.

Why do people just start blaming the club before all the full facts are out. People always seem to want to batter into the club. My reading of this is the club aren't much at fault, and haven't even been found guilty yet.
The clubs partners have admitted guilt which damns the club

And the preliminary findings are the findings

The Daily Mail has three seperate stories about this in today's edition. The one on the Financial pages makes no mention of Rangers involvement in the price fixing. I presume this was written by a journalist who has no agenda against the club.

JD Sports heavily implicated in this and our investigation.

JD Sports one of the SFA main sponsors.

Where is the SFA headlines on dropping them ? Nah I don’t see them either.

It only dams the club if we knew about it and agreed to it.

If neither of these things happened then it doesn’t.

Ooft

JD Sports, one of the SFA’s main sponsors, puts them in a real position. Seem a right shady company.

JD, Elite, Rangers.

JD Sports, Leicester.

Also the scums retail partner.

“Celtic is an iconic club with an incredible support base; both the club’s and JD’s ambition for the future remains as strong as ever, which is something JD are proud to be associated with,” said JD Group executive chairman Peter Cowgill.

“We are extremely excited to launch a fantastic range of new kits in partnership with Adidas and the club.”

How can we fix or define the selling price and ensure companies like JD sports and Elite Sports (who were actually no friends of ours). I'm a little lost on this one.

Be intresting to so the figures pouring out from experts in the media .... you know based on hope by them rather than actual parameters set in place .

Some body can fill me in to help get an idea out actual first team top merchandise sales in the period .

But from memory it was 5 million profit devide by 12 approx 425 000 per month plus extra week meaning back of a fag pkt max 500k sales or so it will be a lot less as that figure is narrowed down to exact figures but its to explain why I got the 500k figure .

Now the max fine is 10% of any calculated figure before subtracting anything they allow mitigation for .

So based on 5 million the max fine will be 50 k even if we are well out it might and I highly doubt it be 100k .

Yet we see figures of 5 million appearing .somebody who can anylise stuff will be able to provide an accurate guess with the correct figures but its not going to be millions .....

Nae luck timmy or msm

Last edited:
How can we fix or define the selling price and ensure companies like JD sports and Elite Sports (who were actually no friends of ours). I'm a little lost on this one.
I don't get it either. It would of been around the time where we were facing them in court yet they believe we colluded with them for price fixing.
A more likely scenario would be that fat Ashley prick trying to get one over us by underselling and then reaching a compromise or even being forced via contract agreements to stop his pettiness' shite.

Rangers have went all "Boris Johnson" on this by saying, we didn't do much wrong and it was only for a little time.
The fact that we are involved in "ripping off fans of their hard earned cash", should see someone get their jotters.....
By pricing the kits at £60 with Elite and then [allegedly] asking JD to not undercut them which they agreed to do (helping JD more than helping us since *most* folk would be buying from the club website/megastore anyway? How is that ripping fans off? Ripping us off is the cost of a kit anyway - the markup on manufacturing costs is insane no matter the RRP.

Ooft

JD Sports, one of the SFA’s main sponsors, puts them in a real position. Seem a right shady company.

JD, Elite, Rangers.

JD Sports, Leicester.

and celtics

I don't get it either. It would of been around the time where we were facing them in court yet they believe we colluded with them for price fixing.
A more likely scenario would be that fat Ashley prick trying to get one over us by underselling and then reaching a compromise or even being forced via contract agreements to stop his pettiness' shite.
Wouldn't put it past him tipping the wink to Shifty McGifty.

Shifty then goes to the CMA with it and lo and behold just over a year later he takes up a high profile position there.

What are the chances?

Be intresting to so the figures pouring out from experts in the media .... you know times based on hope by them rather than ctual parameters set in place .

Some body can fill me in to help get an idea out actual first team top merchandise sales in the period .

But let from memory it was 5 million profit devide by 12 approx 425 000 per month plus extra week meaning back of a fag pkt max 500k sales or so it will be a lot less as that figure is narrowed down to exact figures but its to explain why I got the 500k figure .

Now the max fine is 10% of any calculated figure before subtracting anything they allow mitigation for .

So based on 5 million the max fine will be 50 k even if we are well out it might and I highly doubt it be 100k .

Yet we see figures of 5 million appearing .somebody who can anylise stuff will be able to provide an accurate guess with the correct figures but its not going to be millions .....

Nae luck timmy or msm
Max fine is 10% of club revenue.

Liverpool’s new home shirt on sale in the club shop - £99.95! Will the CMA attack?
They have a Home MATCH jersey at that price and a Home STADIUM jersey at £69.99.

I‘m guessing their MATCH jersey is the equivalent of the Castore Pro range and the STADIUM jersey is their ‘standard’ replica kit.

Not that its particularly relevant to this thread. Only thing it does indicate is that Castore prices are on a par with all the other major producers.

Wouldn't put it past him tipping the wink to Shifty McGifty.

Shifty then goes to the CMA with it and lo and behold just over a year later he takes up a high profile position there.

What are the chances?
Think Ashley wouldn't involve them to be honest. He is a little bairn with too much money. He would of been trying to undermine us at that time and starting some price war wouldn't of been past him. Whilst he was selling our strip at £55 I wonder what he would of been selling others for. I suspect for instance the pedos strip would of been inline with their store price of £60 at the time whilst selling ours £5 cheaper at £55.

I'm seeing people continually complaining that the board see the support as customers.

Why the outrage? That's exactly what we are - customers who will return regardless. Same folk tend to be the first ones to complain based on 'i spent £600 on a season ticket and we didn't win' - in other words "I'm an unhappy customer".

Back