Co-efficient

If you move forward to next year, Scotland are up to 8th spot currently. Belgium drop way down the rankings as the lose 12pts, whereas Scotland only drop 4pts. However it also means we’ll have 5 teams in Europe so the points we pick up will be divided by five, not four.

Yes. The number of teams from in a country is a big part of the coefficient. It really holds Scotland down, as after a few good years, more places are awarded, and the teams that get them rarely do anything, bringing the coefficient right down again. Makes keeping automatic places really difficult.

To be fair, Aberdeen and Motherwell done their bit this season and the 3rd round was probably a realistic target for both

If us and Celtic get to the groups with one getting to the last 32 at least, I think 11th is extremely achievable.

Hard to believe we used to have 2 teams in the groups about a decade ago

To be fair, Aberdeen and Motherwell done their bit this season and the 3rd round was probably a realistic target for both

If us and Celtic get to the groups with one getting to the last 32 at least, I think 11th is extremely achievable.

They did do a bit, a very small bit. If Scotland want to get into the top 10 and stay there they need these diddy teams to stop being so diddy.

Rangers, and them, won't be able to hold the coefficient up once Scotland starts getting divided by 5 next season.

RangerAl, this must be the best year by non old firm teams in a long time? Most points teams outside the old firm have collected in ages? Motherwell and Aberdeen each won 2 rounds. About 7 points total added to the countries total (before being divided by the no. Of clubs)

Rangers and them got about 11 each last year?

At the end of last season we were 14th, behind Denmark, Austria and Turkey. It’s possible but a tall order to overtake them all this season. Denmark and Austria definitely doable (RB Salzburg can’t do it alone), but Turkey have more teams contributing than we do.

Two Turkish teams are already out of Europe this season

Also worth noting that top 12 means the Scottish Cup winners go direct into the group stages of the EL league.
Whooooah! Just reading this, so we could have Motherwell or some other jobber playing in the EL but 2nd place still needs to qualify??

Didn’t see that. If we put out Galatasaray we are setting ourselves up well to close the gap on Turkey this year then, though I think the point stands that they have 6 sides with a decent chance of contributing each season and outside of the top 2 in Scotland you are just hoping they don’t mess up against goat herders in the first and second round before reaching their limit.

Last edited:
They did do a bit, a very small bit. If Scotland want to get into the top 10 and stay there they need these diddy teams to stop being so diddy.

Rangers, and them, won't be able to hold the coefficient up once Scotland starts getting divided by 5 next season.
The only other way is for us and the stinkbombs to get a crack at the CL and a jobber getting direct entry to the EL groups and getting a couple of results.

Thanks for your contribution Motherwell (pumped 3-0 by an Israeli team) and Aberdeen (bested by Sporting Lisbon's youth side). Top stuff as usual. A waste of time turning up.

They both had difficult away ties and hardly embarrassed themselves. Given it was 1 leg ties, they’ve actually contributed well to the coefficient this season

Both would’ve need extreme luck of the draw to manage to navigate themselves to the play off round.

2nd place would be a CL spot if we were top 12.

Thats wrong mate, we are already guaranteed 2 champions league spots for next season as you only need to be 15th place or below to achieve that.

10th place guarantees a Group stage spot in CL but you can also get a spot in the groups for 11th if the winners of the CL have already qualified for the following year, which is always the case pretty much.

If we put out Galatsaray and and Celtic get to the groups as well we will most likely overtake the Turks and have an automatic spot for the 2022/23 season.

Ideally we win the league the next two years and get cl money both years

they would be in turmoil if that scenario comes to pass

we would then be able to invest in some real talent without the massive wage billl they have

We are really handicapped by the rest of Scottish football being dire in europe.
From next season we will have 5 sides in europe so the coefficent points gained will be diluted down by averaging over 5 teams instead of 4.
I can't see us going much further up the table tbh. Especially not getting there and staying there.
Perhaps an Aberdeen or a Hibs can get to the new UEFA Conference League group stage and pick up some points but.......nah I doubt it.

Imagine they went out tonight.

Fun for a week or so but they would have a minimum of 6 games less than us.

%^*& that. Free midweek.

We would be coming back from hard away ties knackered and more chance of injuries while they rest.
Yes CB I realise that and it’s solid thinking , it is an overhead in the Us vs Them . however I think the greatest overheard is already in play and won’t go away so I’m taking the next best option .

until the officials and control they have is conquered we will not be allowed to win anything like marginal matches . European fixtures is where we can get sporting matches mate .

just an aside to prove this do you know how many fouls we conceded in a tough away match against opponents who caused us real problems last night ? Five .

This. It also increases the need for us to win the title. Otherwise the poets benefit from us progressing in Europe, addressing their previous failures to qualify for the CL.
This is why it is huge, an absolute must that we win the league this year! If there wasn't already pressure then beating Galatasaray will, in a round about way, put more pressure on us. If we fail to win the league after bumping the Turks out, it may set us back years.

It's actually more doable than I realised. I hadn't taken into account that the year that is "falling off" (2015/16) takes Turkey down 3 in comparison to us. So a good year for us and a bad one for them this year would see us leapfrog them.

It's actually more doable than I realised. I hadn't taken into account that the year that is "falling off" (2015/16) takes Turkey down 3 in comparison to us. So a good year for us and a bad one for them this year would see us leapfrog them.

The countries between Scotland and that top 10 have a couple of years of big scores about to drop off, while Scotland have pretty low scores to lose.

Automatic CL place for league winners will be an absolute certainty in a couple of seasons time at the latest, I reckon.

One other benefit of the current coefficient position is that if we stay top 12, the team considered cup winners would go straight into the playoff round for the Europa League, and even if they lose there they'd drop into the groups in the new competition.

I honestly believe getting more money into the game in general up here will help a lot, and see much better football played overall.

The countries between Scotland and that top 10 have a couple of years of big scores about to drop off, while Scotland have pretty low scores to lose.

Automatic CL place for league winners will be an absolute certainty in a couple of seasons time at the latest, I reckon.
Let's wait to see if we even make the groups this season before talking about absolute certainties. It is a tall order to maintain our performance in Europe.

We are currently on 16.250 in 94th position.

Our points are taken from the previous 5 seasons (0 for the first 2 years as we didn't compete):

17/18 - 0.250
18/19 - 5.00
19/20 - 11.00

If we have a similar points tally this season and next it will take our points total to circa 35. This would put us up between 30th and 40th positions. Easier routes into tournaments can only be a positive thing.

Last edited:
Let's wait to see if we even make the groups this season before talking about absolute certainties. It is a tall order to maintain our performance in Europe.

I know, but even where we are as it stands will see Scotland up in 8th soon enough.

We may drop a little from that, of course, but so many countries are due huge damage to their coefficient in the next couple of years compared to Scotland.

Our points are taken from the previous 5 seasons (0 for the first 2 years as we didn't compete):

17/18 - 0.250
18/19 - 5.00
19/20 - 11.00

If we have a similar points tally this season it will take our points total to circa 35. This would put us up between 30th and 40th positions. Easier routes into tournaments can only be a positive thing.

will mean we are likely a pot4 team again?

Yeah, 7-0 last night. But don't a clubs performances in one season take a wee while to filter into national coeffs? Like a season or two? Or have I got that wrong...

LASK outperformed Salzburg in Europe last season.

They've added a good bit to Austria's total now.

17/18 - 0.250
18/19 - 5.00
19/20 - 11.00

If we have a similar points tally this season it will take our points total to circa 35. This would put us up between 30th and 40th positions. Easier routes into tournaments can only be a positive thing.

this is a good point which is a major counter argument to people who are not too bothered about us qualifying this year. If we get into the group stages and get 2 wins and a draw, that will most likely be enough for us to be seeded in every qualifying round in the EL for the next 5 years or so and potentially enough for us to be in pot 2 in the groups. For me this is why it’s vitally important to make the groups this year.

Back