Coaching badges

Clarky1690

Anyone on here done any of the SFA coaching badges ? I was looking at starting to do them to try and get into it !!!

Anyone on here done any of the SFA coaching badges ? I was looking at starting to do them to try and get into it !!!
Yeah I’ve worked my way through them to the A Licence. Quite easy to get into the initial badges, normally organised locally and about £60 for the first one and then a wee bit more for the next 2 levels. When you get to level 4 it gets more expensive and course locations are normally at Oriam in Edinburgh or Toryglen (maybe somewhere up north too).

Just commenting on this so I can find this thread another time. Something I’ve always thought about now that I can’t play any more.

Yes i done my early touches and then up to level 3 ,i coached an u11s team for a few yrs but it takes a lot of time out of your life and the hassle of pushy parents drove me away from it but its a good thing if you want to get into it and glasgow city council are always putting up jobs for football coaches in the schools if your looking to get into that side of it

Just commenting on this so I can find this thread another time. Something I’ve always thought about now that I can’t play any more.

Slightly off topic here but my mate played at a really good amateur level and had to stop because at 38 he was struggling with the pace of guys in their 20’s. he refused to go down a level but wanted to stay in the game.
So, he did his refereeing badge through the spring this year and has been doing loads of youth footy, mix of 9’s and 11’s in their first year. He’s absolutely loving it, cos he gets to be part of the boys learning the game and keeps talking to them throughout the match. Also because he’s fit , he can stay up with play no problem which the coaches seem to appreciate so far.
Just another option to consider mate.

Yeah I’ve worked my way through them to the A Licence. Quite easy to get into the initial badges, normally organised locally and about £60 for the first one and then a wee bit more for the next 2 levels. When you get to level 4 it gets more expensive and course locations are normally at Oriam in Edinburgh or Toryglen (maybe somewhere up north too).
How long did it take to get through to A level ? And what playing experience did you have ?

How long did it take to get through to A level ? And what playing experience did you have ?
No playing experience at any decent level. Went from youth football to amateur for a few years and then committed to coaching. From doing my first level through to A Licence probably took me 12/13 years. It can be done quicker but if your starting from scratch it can be good to take time to get the practice in between levels to really enhance you improvements. B and A Licences cost thousands so can hold things up for a few years if you don’t have the cash to go straight into the next level.

No playing experience at any decent level. Went from youth football to amateur for a few years and then committed to coaching. From doing my first level through to A Licence probably took me 12/13 years. It can be done quicker but if your starting from scratch it can be good to take time to get the practice in between levels to really enhance you improvements. B and A Licences cost thousands so can hold things up for a few years if you don’t have the cash to go straight into the next level.
Ok mate . What level are you coaching at just now ?

The main adult one ? Have you managed to get a role somewhere ?
I did these quite a few years ago, I no longer coach. I coached to junior level and also the Scotland BC squad. I did get an opportunity to coach in America at one point, but had a young family at the time. Doing these courses can certainly open doors for you.

There are 2 pathways child and youth (adult). I did to level 4 child, now up to 3 on adult, next would be my C. As previously said, coaching a range of ages will help, as will coaching girls. Watch other people's sessions and steal the bits you like. I found Coerver diplomas excellent (esp diploma 1) and use a lot of it in my warm ups.

I find a structure useful, 90 min session including warm up, game related practice and conditioned game. Linking the 3 is a good way to keep the flow. If a drill doesn't work, keep at it, it takes time and it's part of learning.

I found the children's award ( child level 4 as it was known then) made the difference. Levels 1-3 you'll complete fairly easily with a bit of application. Getting an A badge is quite an achievement, coaching is not as easy as some would think.

Start with young kids, you won't be able to coach unless you learn how to control a group, for me this was vital. Good luck with the parents, most of whom don't understand that development takes time. Hope this helps.

having your badges doesn’t make you a good coach what it does is teach you to organise. Being able to read the game and make changes is the most important part of being s coach along with some commonsense. That they can not teach you comes from experience.

I’m hoping to do my C Licence in August/September at Broadwood. Plan after that will be Children’s Award, as i’ve been doing both pathways at the same time.

B Licence May be a bit of a stretch, though you never know!

If you've played at a certain level I'm pretty sure you can skip a few of the badges or be fast tracked.

I’m hoping to do my C Licence in August/September at Broadwood. Plan after that will be Children’s Award, as i’ve been doing both pathways at the same time.

B Licence May be a bit of a stretch, though you never know!

I’ve completed my UEFA B and start the UEFA A later this year. Also have up to and including my children’s Award on the youth pathway.

The B is well worth it in my opinion, it has been my favourite licence so far.

If you've played at a certain level I'm pretty sure you can skip a few of the badges or be fast tracked.

If you have been a pro for 5 years you can start at the UEFA B Licence.

Although it’s not somehow in I agree with having seen some of the quality of ex pros sessions.

I've done up to level 3, C licence is beyond me though I'd say. I've got my level 2 goal keeping & it's mostly keepers I coach, enjoy that much more than outfield. I'd love to do the level 3, but seems to be difficult to do.

I'm going to see ex Man Utd GK coach Eric Steele & the Dortmund GK coach in August for a day long session. £60 plus travelling from North of Inverness, well worth it even though my club aren't funding it & no qualification as such.

Latest posts

Back