Coefficients

Strathblane Bear

I was having a debate about coefficients last night with a fellow bear. He said this is all good for Scotland having extra Champions league and getting other teams into Europe and that its good to see Scottish teams do well in Europe. Personally I am of the opinion that yes any journey into the champs league that is an easier path is a good thing only for us.
I could not give 2 hoots about the rest of Scottish teams performance in Europe. These were the same teams that were happy to boot the boot in on us in our troubles. The same teams who slash our allocations then sit with half empty stadiums. The same teams that moan about sectarian singing yet do nothing about the behaviour of their own fans (Aberdeen). All I care about is Rangers doing well and two fingers to the rest of Scottish football.

It's going to be even more important when we've 5 Scottish teams in Europe that all teams do reasonably well.

The combined points total that all teams earn are divided by the number of teams in European competition. This is one reason why Switzerland have dropped down the rankings and been overtaken by nations with 4 teams in Europe.

So it is of benefit to Rangers.

Strong performances in Europe by Scottish teams helps Rangers like it or not. We aren’t going to win the league every year and therefore a second stab at the champs league can only be a good think, no matter how difficult. I am not going to start watching the saville squad and want them anything other than pumped but I want to see Scotland’s coefficient as high as possible which means Scottish clubs winning games. I suppose therefore I am delighted to see the coefficient rising without having to actively support anyone but us.

If both Rangers and Celtic win tonight then Scotland moves up to 14th ahead of the Czech Republic.

If both Rangers and Celtic lose tonight and APOEL beat Sevilla then Cyprus will move ahead of Scotland in to 15th place.

That's how close it is. Would solve that problem if we win tonight, Sevilla beat APOEL and we get APOEL in the R32 and beat them twice. :D

Yeah anything that helps us is a good thing for sure. We have propped up Scottish football for so long. It would be such a footballing backwater without us or them. Was Aberdeens Europa league the last time anyone else did anything in Europe? That's bad if it was.

Yeah anything that helps us is a good thing for sure. We have propped up Scottish football for so long. It would be such a footballing backwater without us or them. Was Aberdeens Europa league the last time anyone else did anything in Europe? That's bad if it was.

The most any of the other teams have contributed in the past 5 seasons is 2 points. Aberdeen this season and Hibs last season.

It's not just an extra champions league space up for grabs. It's also entry to the Europa league. If scotland are 16th or lower then the second place side and the cup winners will be in EL2. Yes, it would be good to think that we'll win the league so would be better to have an easier route to the champions league (that's why that lot have been quietly delighted the rest of the scottish sides have failed), but we're still very much in a rebuilding phase. For now I'd much prefer the fallback option being there.

If both Rangers and Celtic win tonight then Scotland moves up to 14th ahead of the Czech Republic.

If both Rangers and Celtic lose tonight and APOEL beat Sevilla then Cyprus will move ahead of Scotland in to 15th place.

That's how close it is. Would solve that problem if we win tonight, Sevilla beat APOEL and we get APOEL in the R32 and beat them twice. :D

I’d read that only 1 more win is required by either us or them this season for Scotland to move above the Czec Republic due to all their teams being out, is that not correct?

Being honest, not caring about how other Scottish clubs do is very shortsighted imo.

A higher coefficient means we don't start our season in May ffs. It means we don't start in round 1, it means we will get seeded in further rounds avoiding better teams.

Starting out season later gives us a longer break in the summer reducing the chance of burning out in February/March time.

It means we aren't 4th seed in a group, it means we could instead get a 4th seed diddy team giving us 6 points straight off the bat in theory.

Stop being a throbber. The better we do (collectively) the sooner we get an automatic CL when we win the league.

Need to get to 10th place for that. Which is a big ask but not impossible. Ukraine, Turkey, Austria, Denmark and Czech Republic all above Scotland and most not doing great.

Can the 2nd placed Scottish team at the end of this season get to the Europa group stage for the 3rd year in a row? Very tough.

All fair points and anything that helps us is obviously a good thing. It is crazy to think that we are competing with the likes of Cyprus these days. Definitely need the rest of the teams to pick up more points.

It's going to be even more important when we've 5 Scottish teams in Europe that all teams do reasonably well.

The combined points total that all teams earn are divided by the number of teams in European competition. This is one reason why Switzerland have dropped down the rankings and been overtaken by nations with 4 teams in Europe.

So it is of benefit to Rangers.

You are spot on the problem is that the second champions league place means you get 5 teams in Europe which is bad for us as our points count for a fifth rather than a quarter the other Scottish teams (outwith us and them) never contribute any noteable points so Scotland are highly unlikely to be able to hold onto that place.

It is galling that in order to do ourselves a bit of good, we have clubs, associations and officials, who hold us in utter contempt, hanging on our coat tails, in the hope of leeching themselves a few junkets.
Wish there was another way.
You are 100% spot on.

I’m not going to cheer on any other Scottish teams (maybe if a wee team Qualified through a cup) but if they win it only benefits us.

I think it will benefit everyone, I'm not actively supporting other teams but positive results will help with the co efficient. As it's been pointed out, don't need to start in May, don't start in the first round ect. Think another good reason will be if we continue to perform well in Europe and other teams start pulling their weight in a positive manner in Europe then the league can benefit with better sponsorship and tv deals.

When it goes to five entrants any coefficient points earned will be divided by five (rather than 4) and Scotland will slide down again. We all know the likes of Kilmarnock are just an embarrassment to the country.

The only clubs that are ever gonna contribute to the coefficient in a meaningful way are us and the tramps. Tbh it would be better, and less embarrassing, if the rest were just forbidden to play in European competitions.

In no way shape or form do I want Celtic to do well in the Champions League qualifiers. Them reaching the group stages harms us in terms of the disparity in income compared to ourselves.

I do not have much problem with them contributing to the Co-efficient whilst in the Europa League. The finacial impact upon us is much less significant.

Last edited:
If we win tonight we'll have accrued more points this season as Aberdeen have in the last five seasons combined.

Absolutely pathetic.

Aberdeen only try when Rangers come to Shittodrie.

They literally don't care about anything else.

A sad, sad bunch of supporters.

For the most part, I don't care what other teams do.

However, I'd have preferred it if Kilmarnock didn't get gubbed at home by a fucking part-time team that got booted out the challenge cup by Partick bloody thistle.

Strong performances in Europe by Scottish teams helps Rangers like it or not. We aren’t going to win the league every year and therefore a second stab at the champs league can only be a good think, no matter how difficult. I am not going to start watching the saville squad and want them anything other than pumped but I want to see Scotland’s coefficient as high as possible which means Scottish clubs winning games. I suppose therefore I am delighted to see the coefficient rising without having to actively support anyone but us.

Doesn't help when you have the likes of us, Aberdeen and Kilmarnock getting fired out early in recent years :rolleyes:

We can only concentrate on ourselves but having 2 champions league places would be a massive boost. Financially it would be huge to us. We’re not guaranteed to win the league every year so having the safety net of still being able to receive the prize money from the CL would go a long way.

what is the current system now for future seasons?

Next season the places are already decided, obviously.

If Scotland finish in the top 15 this season in terms of national co-efficient, we'll have 2 teams in CL qualifying, the team deemed cup winners in EL qualifying, and 2 teams in qualifying for the new tournament for season 21/22.

If there was any sort of goodwill directed towards Rangers from fans of other clubs in Scotland when we are doing well in Europe, then I would reciprocate the goodwill. The reality is that they would like nothing more for our club to fail, the earlier the better.

Selfish I know, other Scottish teams getting knocked out early......I couldn't give two f@cks.

The draw for the last 32 has made things a bit interesting.

- If Celtic beat Copenhagen twice and put them out then Scotland will overtake Denmark (and Czech Republic) and be guaranteed at least 15th place. That's regardless of what Rangers do.
- If Arsenal put out Olympiakos then that takes Greece out of the equation. I think Olympiakos would need 3 wins and Rangers/Celtic to lose all 4 games to move above Scotland
- If APOEL lose both ties to Basel then Rangers/Celtic just need a draw out of the 4 games to move above Cyprus

This is a real good chance for both us and them to get points on the board to ensure Scotland stay high in the rankings and the extra Champions League qualifying spot and participation in the Europa League it will bring.

PointsTeams LeftPoints Per WinPoints Per Draw
13Denmark27.510.50.25
14Czech Republic27.30
15Cyprus26.7510.50.25
16Scotland26.62520.50.25
17Greece25.710.40.2
20Switzerland24.410.40.2

If we finish this season in 15th or above we're sorted for season 21/22? Is there any advantage in finishing above 15th but below 10th (which is presumably beyond us)?

T
The draw for the last 32 has made things a bit interesting.

- If Celtic beat Copenhagen twice and put them out then Scotland will overtake Denmark (and Czech Republic) and be guaranteed at least 15th place. That's regardless of what Rangers do.
- If Arsenal put out Olympiakos then that takes Greece out of the equation. I think Olympiakos would need 3 wins and Rangers/Celtic to lose all 4 games to move above Scotland
- If APOEL lose both ties to Basel then Rangers/Celtic just need a draw out of the 4 games to move above Cyprus

This is a real good chance for both us and them to get points on the board to ensure Scotland stay high in the rankings and the extra Champions League qualifying spot and participation in the Europa League it will bring.

PointsTeams LeftPoints Per WinPoints Per Draw
13Denmark27.510.50.25
14Czech Republic27.30
15Cyprus26.7510.50.25
16Scotland26.62520.50.25
17Greece25.710.40.2
20Switzerland24.410.40.2

Thanks for that, very informative.

The first target has to be avoiding the Europa equivalent of the Vanarama Cup.

That ought to be within our grasp at the moment.

If we finish this season in 15th or above we're sorted for season 21/22? Is there any advantage in finishing above 15th but below 10th (which is presumably beyond us)?

For Champions League

15th would for 2021/22 if we finish there this season enter at QR2 - 16th & 17th is the same entry point

13th or 14th would see the Champions enter at QR3
11th or 12th would see the Champions enter at QR4 - 11th could get direct entry depending who wins CL

2nd place would enter at QR2 non champion route 10th-15th

I believe that once you get to that level you accumulate less points so it’s difficult to stay there if you have a bad season.

I'll never support another team in Europe cos of the coefficient, if they lose I laugh, if they draw or win I say oh well it helps the coefficient. Makes it easier to take when they do get results.

Can only be good for us and Scottish football as a whole. Automatic qualification for the group stages is a must for us over the next few years.

Back