Colin Stein speaks about Lyndon Dykes and Nathan Patterson

Obviously Stein was in a completely different class but I quite like Dykes as a player.

Doubt he'll ever be prolific but he fits the role Scotland need just now, a big lad who can hold the ball up. Scoring goals is a nice benefit.

Colin Stein. Just the mention of his name sends shivers.

My hero growing up.

3 goals in his first game, 3 goals in his second game and 2 goals (also hit the post) in his third game with Rangers.

Another memory was him almost loosing his shorts in the celebrations after his famous headed goal at Easter Road - a question for you historians - who crossed the ball for that famous goal ?

Obviously Stein was in a completely different class but I quite like Dykes as a player.

Doubt he'll ever be prolific but he fits the role Scotland need just now, a big lad who can hold the ball up. Scoring goals is a nice benefit.
Hard to argue because he's scored some crucial goals recently but his touch is absolutely woeful at times. He's useful in the air and he does a shift but his hold up and link up play can be brutal to watch

As the old songs say,
1 You can keep your Harry(Hood) and your Lou Macari,
We've got Colin Stein.

2 We're supporting Colin Stein,
And her majesty The Queen.
Great memories, what a player!

Hard to argue because he's scored some crucial goals recently but his touch is absolutely woeful at times. He's useful in the air and he does a shift but his hold up and link up play can be brutal to watch
He is a poor football player.
When the old saying ...
'he couldn't trap a bag of cement'
was penned, it was players like the big guy who were cruelly being referenced.
That said, it says much about Scottish football today.

My hero growing up.

3 goals in his first game, 3 goals in his second game and 2 goals (also hit the post) in his third game with Rangers.

Another memory was him almost loosing his shorts in the celebrations after his famous headed goal at Easter Road - a question for you historians - who crossed the ball for that famous goal ?
Bobby McKean.

My hero growing up.

For a bonus point, who almost pulled his drawers down? No cheating.

Lyndon Dykes in the same sentence as Colin Stein.
B-D B-D

Definitely the highlight of his career.

Last edited by a moderator:
My hero growing up.

Bobby McKean

Mr Stein is a total legend. I have a signed pic of him in 72 with his cigar and the ECWC. I was lucky enough to meet him once. One of my best mates who is a Jambo and stays in Linlithgow knows him very well and says he is a class act. No surprises there.

Two of the articles contradict each other. One says that Stein missed a game vs West Germany after the first game in the sequence. The other omits that info, and claims Booth's record of scoring in 4 consecutive games doesn't count as he missed games in between.

Back