Colin Stein

Along with John Greig my favourite Ranger as a wean. I was born in 62 so just missed the great Millar, Brand and Wilson team but Colin Stein was the ultimate hero as back in the late 60's. I had the privilege of being at his first home game when we thrashed Hibs, his former team, by 6 goals and he netted a hat trick. Great memories and on You Tube under IIRC Colin Stein v Hibs 1968 or Willie Henderson V Hibs 1968. Basically it shows wee Willie heading a goal into the Copland Rd end. I've watched it a hundred times. My late father took me and my brother to the game and it was a real treat . Never forgotten.

I’m a 62 as well , Colin Stein is the first Rangers player I can remember. Playing football up the park and if you scored thinking/ wishing you were him.

If you think having Morelos and Defoe at the same time is good, I remember us having Colin Stein, Derek Johnstone and Derek Parlane all together!

What a selection of strikers.

Have had the good fortune to meet all 3 on a number of occasions and all are absolute gentlemen and proper Rangers men.

My hero when I first went to Ibrox.

Everyone remembers who crossed the ball for us to win 9 in a row at Tannadice but can you recall who it was that crossed the ball for Colin Stein at Easter Road to stop them getting the 10 in a row ?

Scored the goal that stopped ten in a row in my first ever away game. For that reason alone, I’ve always thought the world of Colin Stein. Of course there are many, many reasons to think the world of Colin Stein.
I was there that day. Remember an injured John Greig coming on for the last few minutes. Colin was my boyhood hero.

Colin Steins book is a great read one of the best of the genre, very very sobering hard read the chapter on the disaster though and the wee girl with the teddy.

If you get a chance pick one up
When Colins book came out,my daughter went to Waterstones in Glasgow and queued for ages to get Colin to sign a copy to me. She knew Colin was my favourite Ranger when I was a lad. I was absolutely buzzing when I unwrapped that present at Christmas time. Complete surprise and a great one at that.

When Colins book came out,my daughter went to Waterstones in Glasgow and queued for ages to get Colin to sign a copy to me. She knew Colin was my favourite Ranger when I was a lad. I was absolutely buzzing when I unwrapped that present at Christmas time. Complete surprise and a great one at that.

That's lovely mate.

My hero! Brave as a lion and deceptively skilful. Would have chased a crisp packet on a windy day if he thought he could catch it!
He would've chased it even if he thought he wouldn't catch it. I remember a Scotland game against W. Germany when he was up front on his own and the German defence knocked the ball about and Stein never gave up chasing, he ran his guts oot that night.

Lovely to see this legend on the park tonight at half time.

I searched on twitter for references to him and found it unbelievable the bile that the jolly craicsters publicly spill about the tragedy which took place.

Not only do they show their lack of knowledge about the events, but they openly pour sectarian acid upon the souls of the dead.

Most of them not born in 1971 !

Fantastic player. I was very young when he played, but seem to recall that we paid £100,000 to get him from Hibs, which I think was a British record at the time. That's a serious amount of money nearly 50 years ago!

Fantastic player. I was very young when he played, but seem to recall that we paid £100,000 to get him from Hibs, which I think was a British record at the time. That's a serious amount of money nearly 50 years ago!

Scottish record. Dennis Law transferred for a £100,00 in 1961, Man U to Torino.

Scored a hatrick in his 1st game, a hatrick in his 2nd game then 2 against Dundalk and hit the post too. So with bit of luck could have been 3 hatricks in his 1st 3 games.

Must admit my heart did a little flutter when I saw the thread title. Happily all is well and no excuse needed to see the goal against hibs again 18yrs old I was at the time.Bored my family rigid about rangers then and happily am still doing so:))

I was very honered to be a ball boy between 1973 to 1975 and met Colin Stein John Greig and the rest of the legend s that stopped septic winning the league

Scored a hatrick in his 1st game, a hatrick in his 2nd game then 2 against Dundalk and hit the post too. So with bit of luck could have been 3 hatricks in his 1st 3 games.
Yes, it didn’t take Colin Stein long to convince Rangers supporters that he could score goals. It was at Gayfield against Arbroath, in his very first game, when he notched his hatrick.

Met the great man a couple of times always a pleasure.
Met him in sammy Dow’s got my picture taken with him and Willie Johnstone, think I bought him a red wine, top geezer.
At work our headphones have a wee bit to put your name on it, mines say C Stein:D

Colin Stein was my boyhood hero. I was lucky enough to see legends like Ralph Brand, Jimmy Millar, Jim Forrest etc, but Stein was a different kind of striker. A natural goal scorer, would cover every blade of grass for 90 minutes and had the heart of a lion. He never gave opposing defences a second of peace.

My Dad and I were at the league match against Clyde in 1969 (I was 13) when, right in front of us, a dirty bastard called Eddie Mulheron hacked him three times from behind. Any one of those fouls would have been a straight red today. A less honest player would have gone down right away and got Mulheron sent off. But Colin Stein being Colin Stein, didn't go down after the first hack, nor the second, but after the third, turned round and gave Mulheron a taste of his own medicine.

Referee runs over, red card for Stein. We were 6-0 up at the time! His subsequent suspension meant he missed the Scottish Cup Final where we got gubbed 4-0 by the tims.

I've related this story on here before, but I'll use any excuse to tell it again! I used to carry out Quality Assurance audits, and one audit I did was on a Coventry company. The guy who I was dealing with obviously thought a day-long audit was a waste of his valuable time. Every question I asked was like pulling teeth, with the legal minimum responses every time.

More out of protocol, rather than wanting to spend even more time with me, he invited me to a pub lunch at the wee pub next door. Once we got talking, and knowing I was from Glasgow, he asked me what team I supported. "Rangers," I replied.

His wee face lit up, and he started telling me that the best player Coventry ever had, came from Rangers. Simultaneously, we said, "Colin Stein." I went on to tell him that Colin Stein was my boyhood hero, that I was gutted when he left Rangers and, that when he came back, it was only fitting that his goal against Hibs in 1975 stopped their 10-in-a-row.

h84mkdF.png

0hGbLHf.png

(Credit to Andy The Photo Doctor for the colourisation)

After lunch, the guy couldn't do enough for me, and I left with a new best buddy.

I was able to tell Colin Stein that story in Vancouver at the 2016 NARSA convention. I had just finished the story when Willie Johnston walked past. "Willie, come and listen to this," Stein said. I re-told the story and wee Wille pointed to my boyhood hero and said. "Whit, that useless bastard?"

P.S. He didn't say bastard.

P.P.S. The company failed the audit.

That big terracing was all bears that day.
Apart from the piggery and at Hampden, the biggest away support I’ve ever seen. What a day.

I think Colin Stein was quite similar to Alan Shearer in style.

I remember him as a great goalscorer with a fantastic attitude, his determination got him goals that he had no right to score.

As a kid he was the most famous footballer in Scotland. The first 100k striker, A true blue hero. My favourite goal was against Bayern Munich with Muller etc in their team. Big Stein terrified the life out of them that night.

To the tune of the Heinz baked beans advert
It's not the inside forwards
Its the spaces inbetween
And that's where Glasgow
Rangers put the famous
Colin Stein
Was at his first game against Arbroath 3 goals in 5 minutes & the second game against Hibs another 3
He was some player

Play with Colin at the bools & can honestly say I have never heard a bad word from him about the other mob.
That's because he's one of the nicest men you could possibly meet (you know this) and an absolute gent (you also know this) as well as a Rangers hero (Aye, you ken the score).

Didn't know till after reading his book that we both went to the same hotel on honeymoon all be it 15 or so years apart. Seemingly there were a few of the board frequented the hotel at one time. Colin celebrated his Golden Wedding only a few weeks ago.

In his third game for club we played st mirren at love st 47000 attendance never been so crushed at a game also lost 1 0

Colin Stein was my boyhood hero. I was lucky enough to see legends like Ralph Brand, Jimmy Millar, Jim Forrest etc, but Stein was a different kind of striker. A natural goal scorer, would cover every blade of grass for 90 minutes and had the heart of a lion. He never gave opposing defences a second of peace.

My Dad and I were at the league match against Clyde in 1969 (I was 13) when, right in front of us, a dirty bastard called Eddie Mulheron hacked him three times from behind. Any one of those fouls would have been a straight red today. A less honest player would have gone down right away and got Mulheron sent off. But Colin Stein being Colin Stein, didn't go down after the first hack, nor the second, but after the third, turned round and gave Mulheron a taste of his own medicine.

Referee runs over, red card for Stein. We were 6-0 up at the time! His subsequent suspension meant he missed the Scottish Cup Final where we got gubbed 4-0 by the tims.

I've related this story on here before, but I'll use any excuse to tell it again! I used to carry out Quality Assurance audits, and one audit I did was on a Coventry company. The guy who I was dealing with obviously thought a day-long audit was a waste of his valuable time. Every question I asked was like pulling teeth, with the legal minimum responses every time.

More out of protocol, rather than wanting to spend even more time with me, he invited me to a pub lunch at the wee pub next door. Once we got talking, and knowing I was from Glasgow, he asked me what team I supported. "Rangers," I replied.

His wee face lit up, and he started telling me that the best player Coventry ever had, came from Rangers. Simultaneously, we said, "Colin Stein." I went on to tell him that Colin Stein was my boyhood hero, that I was gutted when he left Rangers and, that when he came back, it was only fitting that his goal against Hibs in 1975 stopped their 10-in-a-row.

h84mkdF.png

0hGbLHf.png

(Credit to Andy The Photo Doctor for the colourisation)

After lunch, the guy couldn't do enough for me, and I left with a new best buddy.

I was able to tell Colin Stein that story in Vancouver at the 2016 NARSA convention. I had just finished the story when Willie Johnston walked past. "Willie, come and listen to this," Stein said. I re-told the story and wee Wille pointed to my boyhood hero and said. "Whit, that useless bastard?"

P.S. He didn't say bastard.

P.P.S. The company failed the audit.
I remember a sending off incident but forgot who it was against. My memory is hopeless. The guy crunched Stein out on the wing about midway in the opponents half. Stein kept going and about 10\15 yards further the guy crunched him again. Stein kept going and about another 10\15 yards further the guy clattered him again and Stein turned and punched him in the face and got sent off. That is possibly the same incident although I thought it was against St Johnstone for some reason.

I’ve told the story before on here but that day when we won the league, I was eleven and had devised a plan with a pal of mine to get to that game. It was complicated by the fact neither of us had a penny to our names.

I told my mum I was “ going out to play” about ten o’clock that Saturday morning. My pal and I skipped on the bus from Castlemilk into town. Skipped on the train from Queen Street. Got to the ground and both of us got “ lifties”. It was packed on the terracing that day and as I mentioned earlier it was my first away game. Absolute bedlam when Mr Stein scored with that header.

Skipped on the train back to Glasgow and on the bus back home. Got home must have been around seven. My mother opened the door and the first thing out of her mouth was “ you were at that game weren’t you”. Got a rollicking and an ear clipping and all was well again. Fantastic adventure.

I agree Alan Shearer. As well as their ability, you always knew you were going to get 100% from both of them.

Last edited:
my brother , a joiner worked with the great man a few years ago. had some cracking stories to tell. proper legend

I remember a sending off incident but forgot who it was against. My memory is hopeless. The guy crunched Stein out on the wing about midway in the opponents half. Stein kept going and about 10\15 yards further the guy crunched him again. Stein kept going and about another 10\15 yards further the guy clattered him again and Stein turned and punched him in the face and got sent off. That is possibly the same incident although I thought it was against St Johnstone for some reason.
He also got sent off against Dundee at Dens in March 75. Cue classic 70’s pitch invasion.
Don’t have the details of the lead up to the sending off but the description from johnkp on the Mulheron incident more tallies with your own recollection.

Back