Colin Weir close to Partick Thistle takeover

I think he's doing it as part of a fan-backed takeover. Possibly involving Paul Goodwin.

If thats the case then potentially a very good move. Budge has done a decent job at Hearts and the fan buyout of Motherwell has given them a degree of financial stability. Their debts were down to about £80k.

I'd be all for more Scottish clubs being fan owned. The fan/investor partnership model seems to be a very good way for fans to take ownership over a longer period of time and for philanthropist investors to have an involvement in Scottish football that's constructive rather than potentially destructive.

Goodwin was behind the attempted coup against the members of the Rangers Supporters Trust - the dissident minority on the committee actually proposed that Goodwin would become the spokesman for the RST!

He got the bullet from Supporters Direct, waited a year and then set up his own group.

An egotist of the highest order.

This Bertie Auld?
rod-stewart-rock-singer-with-bertie-auld-B4YXJ0.jpg

Would rather neither of these old mutants had gone near our strip.

Looks like Charlie Burchill.

on a diet

FFS whats the point in criticising him?. Most of us would help the Rangers had we a spare few £mill to burn. Hoping the winner of the lottery last night is a Bear !
Totally agree. Wtf has the guy done for all that abuse? Given snp some cash? so what?
As far as I remember when he won him and his wife donated a lot of cash to decent causes, paid for kids operations and stuff like that.
Other than that i know eff all about him-so not going to abuse the poor guy cos he doesnt happen to support rangers and has different political opinions.

Goodwin was behind the attempted coup against the members of the Rangers Supporters Trust - the dissident minority on the committee actually proposed that Goodwin would become the spokesman for the RST!

He got the bullet from Supporters Direct, waited a year and then set up his own group.

An egotist of the highest order.

I've met him a few times. I also know the co-founder of the Scottish Football Supporters Association (or whatever they've called themselves) really well.

Goodwin isn't a popular character. He can, and sometimes does, rub people the wrong way. He had many run ins with Supporters Direct and with both the SPFL and the SFA. That said, Supporters Direct Scotland is a sham. It does absolutely nothing beyond acting as nodding dogs for those in charge of the game in Scotland. It doesn't have anything like the same influence that it's English counterpart has.

As much a Goodwin isn't universally liked, his actual intentions have always been pretty clear. He's a big believer in fan involvement and fan ownership. In terms of the RST, I was a member for a good number of years. The RST fell apart thanks to guys like Alan Harris and thanks to an absolute failure amongst the Rangers support to take the notion of fan ownership seriously.

Last edited:
Back