Colin West memories

Northampton Lodger

I love honking my horn
Was at the Northampton game last night v Derby and the assistant manager was sat behind me talking into his microphone. Had a look in the programme and realised it was Colin West. Was going to speak to him at half time but obviously he went to the dressing room.

Think he was Souness’s first signing however no real recollections of any goals. Wayne Rooney was in the club lounge after the game doing lots of pictures with kids etc which was good to see. Waghorn played for Derby second half but never done much,

I don't think his Rangers career really ever took off. He got a bad injury in an early game (was it East Fife in the League Cup?) and never really ever got more than a game or two after that. Scored against Clydebank in a late season match on a day the scum drew at home giving us a big advantage and may have got one or two others but like I say that injury seriously curtailed his time at Rangers.

Being the first signing of the Souness era is the first thing I think about when I see his name. Good to see he’s still involved in football.

Being the first signing of the Souness era is the first thing I think about when I see his name. Good to see he’s still involved in football.

You wouldn’t recognise him. Always remember this guy with blond hair however it is dark and grey now. If it hadn’t been in the programme I wouldn’t have known him.

Souness being linked with Brazilian World Cup legends then he goes and signs an unknown lad called Colin West. Massive disappointment and we wondered if the promised revolution was all pr - that changed soon enough.

As for West, decent enough as far as I recall but hardly played. Ally became a real class act under Souness which I don’t think the great man fully expected (or always appreciated at the time )

Souness being linked with Brazilian World Cup legends then he goes and signs an unknown lad called Colin West. Massive disappointment and we wondered if the promised revolution was all pr - that changed soon enough.

As for West, decent enough as far as I recall but hardly played. Ally became a real class act under Souness which I don’t think the great man fully expected (or always appreciated at the time )

This. Was expecting someone of Souness's stature/ability to be the first through the door but instead we got Colin. Don't remember him being bad, just doing a job.

There had already been a statement of intent from Souness and Holmes about looking to bring in some big name players from down south.

We then got Colin West, who few of us had ever heard of.

He did cost £200k though, which was still a relatively big amount for us to be spending on anyone, so I remember thinking, “Okay, here we go. Let’s see what this guy is all about”.

The answer was little of nothing and Fleck quickly won his place back despite Souness’s obvious preference for a big guy alongside McCoist.

Not Rangers related, but one of my memories of big Colin West was the 1985 League cup semi final between Sunderland and Chelsea, where he played a blinder in a 2-0 victory to send Sunderland on the way to Wembley. He was left out of the starting XI for the final which Sunderland lost to Norwich.

Always remember thinking, if Souness has signed him this early he is going to be some player....don't think I actually ever seen him play in the flesh. His name has always remained part of the revolution though as he was in first batch of signings.

I remember him scoring in the powder keg Conference clash between Kettering Town v Rushden Diamonds. Local Derby with both teams riding high in the league.
He rounded the Goalkeeper and proceeded to walk the ball into the net. As he tapped it in the Kettering defender barged him in with it. 4-0 Rushden

This!, I remember the who the feck is that feeling!

Souness' first signing, he certainly teased before the big stars came in.
West was unlucky with injury is what I remember about him.

IQUOTE="Legend76, post: 5171357, member: 2840"]
He only scored two goals in the year he was with us.
[/QUOTE]
I make it 3 competitive goals vs Stenhousemuir, Hamilton and Clydebank. I was at the pre season tour and saw him score against Battenberg

Last edited:
He scored at Clydebank in the run in to the title, but overall he came, he got injured, he went, and nobody really noticed.

West was offered to Rangers in lieu of the balance of the transfer fee outstanding for John McClelland, this was poo pooed on a previous thread, but I am pretty certain that it was the case.

Rubbish player, went to Wednesday from Rangers and the fans still relive how rubbish he was at Wednesday.

I worked in London at the time & a Watford fan workmate came in one day & said - I see Souness has made his first mistake - when I asked what do you mean - he said he's signed Colin West from us - & he's a donkey

When another workmate piped in saying - isn't he your top scorer ? & got the reply - that's right - he's still a donkey though

I never did get to see him - he was injured before I could get up for a game - so couldn't say with first hand knowledge - but sounds like he could well have been a donkey

EDIT - I've just read that he was in the line-up for the Paul Miller's testimonial - so I have to correct my above post which states I never saw him
I was at the match at White Hart Lane - so I did see him - but by implication- he must have been instantly forgettable - even allowing for my slightly inebriated state - I can remember most of the others from that match)

Last edited:
West was offered to Rangers in lieu of the balance of the transfer fee outstanding for John McClelland, this was poo pooed on a previous thread, but I am pretty certain that it was the case.

Don’t recall that at time but may well have been the case.

Pre Internet forum days it was hard to get such detail!

My granny took me to watch them train that summer at Jordanhill. He was the first to give me his autograph. I was 16 and really wanted hair like that!!

My mate took a programme with him on the cover into a hairdressers and asked for the same style.
The statto in me tells me it was v Clydebank

Boy was unlucky getting injured so early in his Rangers career , in saying that he never looked anything special.

Back