Colorado Rapids sign Danny Wilson

It’s ridiculous that we have, as a club, given Foster, Smith and Wilson the chance to join us twice. Disturbing really.
Sorry, but to put Danny Wilson in the same bracket as Steve Smith and Foster, who at best masquerades as a footballer is utter garbage.

Wilson left at a young age to go to the EPL, who wouldn’t want to do that? Will you say the same of young Billy Gilmour were to return sometime in the future?

Not too sorry to see him go but would have been just as happy to have him as a squad player as not quite good enough for the level we need to get to. Still think we let our players go to cheaply though.

His heart is in his wallet. Not Rangers

Why are some people in this thread acting like his salty ex-girlfriend? Implying he's walked out on us for oodles of cash or something.

I can't help but laugh at the ridiculous expectations some people have. He's supposed to turn down an opportunity to start a new life in the US so he can toil away trying to cement a starting place for himself here so he can, potentially, be shown the door in the summer all to satisfy some bizarre standard of loyalty some fans expect.

I can see why he is doing this. He has been offered a better salary than we were prepared to offer him and his wife is from the US as well so its a money/lifestyle decision. I do wonder if he should have given it another year to see if he could get a really good run in the team and show the form over a year that he has for 2 months. I wish him well though.

From a Rangers point of view, i am not too upset. If he had declared he was leaving 4 months ago nobody would really have bothered. His time here has been spend playing some good games, some terrible games and a lot of time out injured. Only in the last 2 months can you say he has really played well.
I think the management will look to bring in someone better than Danny, more consistant and less injury prone as well.

Other players i would be sad to leave but i am not too bothered about this.

Onward and upwards
Not upset at all. He has gone to the marijuana state in the US. Didn’t rate him in the first place. Too soft! Hmmm.

You had your good days Danny.
You gave your best, sometimes it wasn’t good enough.
You feel you are worth more money than was offered.
Your choice, so good luck for the future!

Its not a pre contact and hes 26 not 36. There will be something

Not the way we do business. If we needed him off the wage bill I bet he was allowed to go free.

Not sure how much of a family he has but Colorado looks a great place to live.

I totally understand the benefits, however at 26 there’s a helluva lot of football left in the lad.

Could understand it better if he was turning 30 & wanted to set himself up approaching the twilight of his playing days.

His choice at the end of the day but it seems a real step down IMO, in a footballing sense.

His wife is American maybe that’s why. It’s not a step down from the SPFL it is a step down from European competition but were miles off competing at that level and he’s not going to sign for an EPL team or any major European team. For me it is a good opportunity for him as I’ve said one I’d certainly take given he’s already got medals from his time with us.

It's a bit of a strange one, I can only assume Danny fancied a lifestyle change for himself and his family. Best of luck to him.
Not sure how correct this is it was posted on the other danny wilson thread.it is claimed that he wanted to stay and extend his contract on the same terms he was on just now .but the club said no.

Looking at this from a "earn what you can" point of view, I sort of understand it.
From a football point of view, certainly regarding Europeans going to the MLS, he seems at bit young to opt for what is the equivalent of semi-retirement. It's a short career, yes, but as well as the money would it not be nice to know you made the best of yourself ? I can't help feeling that his talent is going to be wasted, just at the point in his career when he'll start to maybe realize that potential.
If there's family reasons or something similar, that's different, you do what you have to do, but lacking that information it seems a strange move.
Anyhoo, good luck to the lad, I hope it works out for him. WATP!

I rate Wilson so I am slightly disappointed but I think Martin will be more than capable of playing in defence for us if he is the direct replacement. I hope he does well in the US and is able to convince some more good American players to come to Ibrox!

His wife is American maybe that’s why. It’s not a step down from the SPFL it is a step down from European competition but were miles off competing at that level and he’s not going to sign for an EPL team or any major European team. For me it is a good opportunity for him as I’ve said one I’d certainly take given he’s already got medals from his time with us.

His wife isn’t American mate.

She went to the same school in Livingston as he did also.

If that’s his level of ambition then goodbye Danny, you do not fit the remit required anyway, utterly bizarre move at his age.
Many a supporter would pull on that blue jersey for nothing,can't get over him walking away,already on what most of us would take a couple of years to save, baffling.

His mind was probably made up ages ago, as he was a bit part player until recently under Murty. I wish him all the best, but for me he had too many lapses in concentration and ultimately isn't good enough to take us to that next level.

The Colorado Rapids have signed defender Danny Wilson from Scottish Premiership side Rangers, multiple league sources have confirmed to ESPN FC.

Wilson, 26, will take up an international roster spot for the MLS club pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and P-1 visa. The Scottish Sunearlier reported that Wilson was on his way to Colorado.

The signing of Wilson continues an offseason makeover by general manager Padraig Smith and new coach Anthony Hudson that has now seen eight players come on board. Wilson is the second center-back to be signed following the acquisition of Ipswich Town defender Tommy Smith.

Wilson's stint with Rangers was the second of his professional career. He began his career with the Glasgow club in 2009 before moving to Liverpool in 2010. But he made just four first-team appearances with the Reds and embarked on a series of loan moves before signing permanently with Hearts in 2013.

He returned to Rangers in 2015 and made 83 league and cup appearances prior to his move to Colorado.

At international level, Wilson has made five appearances for Scotland.
Bye Danny. Don't come back.

Hope the money is good Danny because when the realisation that your career is on a downward spiral at 26 and you will never play for a club as big as Rangers again kicks in you had better have something to fall back on.

FFS!!!!! :D:D:D:D

He had been playing well of late, no ill will towards him from me and he will just be another player as part of the process of our rise.

I really thought he would be able to forge a strong partnership with Martin at the back. I would preferred it if Cardoso left instead

He’s given us some good moments and for that I wish him all the best.

I don’t think we will miss him too much to be fair.

I liked Danny Wilson as a guy ... he was capable of an odd 9/10 performance and more than a few 4/10 performances ..... he just never delivered consistent 7/10s week in week out

Would it be harsh to say I’d have been more disappointed to lose David Bates the way hes playing at the moment

Very best of luck, Danny. You put in some memorable performances, particularly in the last month. I wish you nothing but the best in your future career.

Good luck to the lad. He was playing well of late however he was never going to be first choice.

First of a few to leave this week.

This is ideal for all parties! IMO the past wee while he has been playing well has clouded many bears judgement of him . For every good game he has had, hes had a multitude of poor games . Before he left for Liverpool he could have been somebody he could have been a contender.

Can't get overly emotional either way tbh.

A guy who has been mediocre for the most part, to this day played his best football with Davie Weir standing beside him.

He has been given a great opportunity to set up a new life in America and best of luck to him.

Good luck Danny. Was just coming into a bit of form and we were seeing the real Danny Wilson. Guess he just fancies trying out a different life in a different country.

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/danny-wilson-joins-colorado-rapids/

Looks like it’s all gone through.

Good luck to him. I hope he enjoys playing ‘soccer’ on this side of the pond. Will give me a reason to watch some of the MLS games!

With McCrorie coming through and Bates hopefully extending his contract I think it’s best for all parties that he moves on as it gives more game time to the younger lads who will only get better with more games under their belt playing alongside Martin.

There are some bitter fans on here! :D

Danny Wilson only really seemed to light up as his contract ran out.

Mediocre the rest of the time.

I bear him no ill will and I wish him all the best.

Back