Colts get approval to enter Lowland League

What age group are we talking here?

Will benefit our 17 and 18 year olds but any older than that should be on loan at least 2 leagues higher.

Will benefit our 17 and 18 year olds but any older than that should be on loan at least 2 leagues higher.

I disagree. They will learn more playing men off the park in a rangers team with Rangers facilities playing rangers tactics than getting farmed out to teams in League 1 with less ambition than Kelty hearts.

They will learn or fail trying, but it will be significantly more formative than playing youth football. The elite youth games are still to be scheduled alongside it to bring that element to their education and as has been said, this may just be the foot in the door!

The Scottish Lowland Football League can confirm that member clubs have voted in favour of a proposal allowing Rangers and Celtic ‘B’ teams to take part in next season’s competition – for one season only.

The meeting of clubs was called following discussions between the SLFL Board to consider the proposal.

Work now be undertaken to make the required rule changes to allow this to happen.

League Chairman, George Fraser, said: “With all proposals of this type everyone has an opinion on it, and rightly so.

“The SLFL Board discussed this proposal last week and, as we are a members organisation, it was entirely correct that this was put to the members to vote on.

“As a league we have allowed our clubs to decide based on facts, and not several pieces of misinformation being actively disseminated across many social media platforms.

“Our league is fully committed to the integrity of the pyramid and we have shown this time and time again, so any suggestion we are not is ill-judged and misplaced.

“The majority of our clubs have voted in favour of this proposal, and we need to respect that, therefore we will progress this and have further discussions with all parties in the coming days.

“Since the start of this pandemic the SLFL has operated with a view that no club should be adversely affected by the decisions we make, and we believe that this is the case with this proposal.

“With all the tier 6 leagues opting to go ‘null and void’ this meant there was no champion club put forward to join the SLFL.

“If there was then the champion club would be taking part in the SLFL league next season.”

We have made Rangers and Celtic aware of the outcome of the vote.

It works , and is welcomed in every other country it is in place....so why not here......? Good to see for once , the no marks didn't get their way.

Would not be surprised if the Scottish league clubs now have an emergency meeting to try and vote it through.

That is a lot of money they are missing out on when you include the fees we will pay, the gate receipts and TV revenue
I expect there will be a big push from the club for people to attend and pay to watch these games to show the League clubs what they could have won.

Can only be a good thing to have the young guys play in a competitive league environment. Hopefully the naesayers can get comfortable with the idea and the young lads can move up a level or two over time. One step at a time though.

Hopefully they show some of these games on RTV. I’m in USA so can’t get to games, but would love to watch the colt team games, if available.

Think the plan when we were trying to get the colts team into league 2 was for 16-18 year olds so guessing it will be the same for this.

Not entirely sure it's a great level for them but they will be playing against a mix of juniors and experienced pros which will help with their development.

Pointless the standard isn’t high enough over the league which we require for the
Youths.

I don't see the benefit either. It's one thing playing full time pros in the championship, but what do they gain playing at this level against part time hammer throwers in front of a few hundred punters? They're not getting the experience of playing at Ibrox either. Where are home games now. Stirling or Broadwood or something?

Reckon it’s a test event when the professional sides see what financial gain our colts team bring they’ll soon be banging on the door to allow promotion to the league set up

Playing against people with limited skill and who play the game like it’s a full contact sport.
The kids will learn nothing other than how to try and cope with getting kicked all over the place.

Translation: getting trained in how to play the game to our raxtics whilst your opponent attempts to kick you off the park = perfect preparation for our first team in the SPL!

Is this only for us and them? Or are the likes of Hibs n the sheep able to enter teams too

Time for scoatish fitba' to enter the 21st Century . It's stuck in the dark ages . Give it the season and judge it then . Nothing to lose , everything to gain . Long overdue in my opinion .

I remember our under 18s thrashing Pollok about 5 0 several years ago (10?). Pollok would be better than most of these teams we will be playing.

With it being U20s, this will help develop the players match sharpness, and build up their strength v men, and get to know the Rangers style of play from within the training centre, and the expectations of representing Rangers at any level. If it doesn’t work, we do something different next season.

Will we be constrained to the Lowland League, or will we be allowed to play the winner of the Highland League and ultimately get a shot at the bottom club of League 2 for entry into the SPFL?

Genuinely can’t see the benefit apart from players will be playing with fellow rangers players every week

I don't see the benefit of this at all. Such a poor level of football, filled with cloggers. No better than the juniors.
Fair point, but didn't we used to farm young players out to junior sides in order to toughen them up for first-team football?
I am sure this is will be done in conjunction with these young players also being involved in elite-level youth football against other pro clubs.

That said, I think that this would be better done at a higher level such as League one or two where funds generated would assist these clubs.
Surely?

So this seasons teams were:

Kelty Hearts
BSC Glasgow
East Kilbride
Bonnyrigg Rose
East Stirlingshire
University of Stirlinh
Gala Fairydean Rovers
Bo’ness United
The Spartans
Civil Service Strollers
Berwick Rangers
Caledonian Braves
Cumbernauld Colts
Gretna 2008
Dalbeattie Star
Edinburgh University
Vale of Leithen

Definitely going to look to go to some of the closer away games

I don't see the benefit of this at all. Such a poor level of football, filled with cloggers. No better than the juniors.
It's worse than the old juniors. There's literally teams in this league you could phone up and get a trial with tomorrow. University teams etc. The likes of Talbot etc would steamroll all but 4/5 teams at that level, ironically the ex junior teams like Kelty, Bonnyrigg and Bo'ness.

Back