Colts get approval to enter Lowland League

"Same level as the juniors"
get your head into 2021. The Juniors are dead and buried.

The level is little different from League 1.
I’ve watched lots of juniors in the last 3 years and a few lowlands league games. The lowlands league games I saw were miles ahead of the juniors in quality. Might have been a co incidence. I would say they would easily have given the 4th tier a good game

I’ve watched lots of juniors in the last 3 years and a few lowlands league games. The lowlands league games I saw were miles ahead of the juniors in quality. Might have been a co incidence. I would say they would easily have given the 4th tier a good game
What teams have you watched? Kelty Bonnyrigg and Bo'ness are decent ambitious outfits. EK and BSC have money behind them. There's some absolute gutter in that league though. Fort fucking William stuffed Vale of Leithen 5-0 in the Scottish Cup a couple of years ago. There's a lot of teams from the South of Scotland, ex boys clubs, uni teams at that level simply because they got into the pyramid before the juniors did. I'd back the gutter WoS teams like Newmains or Saltcoats to beat some of the shite at the bottom of that league never mind Talbot or Darvel.

I worry there will be hammer throwers out to hurt our youngsters but a great opportunity for Bears to go along and watch. A guaranteed earner for the wee clubs and the SPFL lot will be told "Come and see what you would've won".

Standby for any team getting promoted from the lower leagues into the bottom tier strolling the league. The money generated will mean this new setup is more commercially viable than league 2. Some teams may actually prefer not to be promoted. Potential TV deal, gate receipts, prestige, increased gates

Standby for any team getting promoted from the lower leagues into the bottom tier strolling the league. The money generated will mean this new setup is more commercially viable than league 2. Some teams may actually prefer not to be promoted. Potential TV deal, gate receipts, prestige, increased gates
The cunts above will be looking for ways to receive some compensation for missing out :))

Not sure what to make of this. Our promising youngsters at the mercy of tarryer feckwits out to make a point?
And, presumably the clubs who voted against the proposal won't want to sully their hands with the filthy lucre we will no doubt be putting into that league's coffers.
It will all end in tears is my thinking.

Do folk complaining about the level not realise we have tried to get in at a higher level and it’s been kicked into touch every time. Given the finances of most clubs in Scotland a ‘competitive’ reserve league is never going to happen so we are left with very little option.
Doing this gives us regular games and some teams, not all, will test our young lads. It allows us to show what benefit it could bring that may help our cause if we look to get up the leagues in future. We can continue to train our boys to play the Rangers way and have them training with the first team when needed, this can’t happen with loans to full time sides. And I’m sure the staff will be working on playing elite sides from down south and around Europe to support the regular LL fixtures.

Not sure what to make of this. Our promising youngsters at the mercy of tarryer feckwits out to make a point?
And, presumably the clubs who voted against the proposal won't want to sully their hands with the filthy lucre we will no doubt be putting into that league's coffers.
As opposed to the fair and gentle folk they would be facing while on loan in the Championship, L1 and L2?

Will we be constrained to the Lowland League, or will we be allowed to play the winner of the Highland League and ultimately get a shot at the bottom club of League 2 for entry into the SPFL?

At this point it is a 1 season deal. If in the off chance we won the league the next best team would take the playoff spot

The 'heads gone' on pie and bovril over this is incredible viewing.
Just been reading the thread. They're absolutely fucking mental. They genuinely think this is some big sporting scandal.

I don't understand how this could be seen as anything other than a good thing for the game in Scotland as a whole.

This will give new interest to alot of our own fans i think. How many here would head to watch the colts if you stayed local?. Its not going to bring them life changing money but it will invest some money in the grass root level as well if it raises attendances.

Surely our management is fully behind this also or we wouldnt be chasing it. If they think thats the best way to go then i think they know better than I.

Never know might even find a Vardy :))

So how does this work? Could they be promoted? And how far? Could we end up with two Rangers teams in the premiership? That would be outstanding:)

Does anyone know what kind of price is charged to watch this level?
And is there a usual kick off time or is it all over the place.
If it's a tenner or less and 3 o'clock on a Saturday I'd go to most games.

Would not be surprised if the Scottish league clubs now have an emergency meeting to try and vote it through.

That is a lot of money they are missing out on when you include the fees we will pay, the gate receipts and TV revenue
Was thinking same. They will be looking over the fence thinking ...... This could have been us. That's Scotland though in the 21st century

We currently have an abundance of youth players, actually far more than required.
The elite youth players will still go on loan to championship teams Kennedy / Maxwell / Mebude etc.
The guys we have on loan at Brechin, Clyde, Cowdenbeath etc will probably play in this league. If people can’t see the benefit of this then they are stuck in the dark ages.
Our youths will train full time with our coaches and to our tactics.

It's worse than the old juniors. There's literally teams in this league you could phone up and get a trial with tomorrow. University teams etc. The likes of Talbot etc would steamroll all but 4/5 teams at that level, ironically the ex junior teams like Kelty, Bonnyrigg and Bo'ness.
Go for it mate, let me know and I’ll polish the size 12’s up. Have you played junior?

I think it's a means to an end, and the Lowland league probably know this........
It's for one year with no promotion.
Rangers and Celtic finish 1st and 2nd showing the standard is too low for them.
The SPFL however, will see the cash made by the other teams and the vote the Colts in unanimously.
Everyone is happy.

Except the Tim, due to some unfathomable "cheating" allegations.

WATP

Pointless the standard isn’t high enough over the league which we require for the
Youths.
Genuinely can’t see the benefit apart from players will be playing with fellow rangers players every week
I don't see the benefit either. It's one thing playing full time pros in the championship, but what do they gain playing at this level against part time hammer throwers in front of a few hundred punters? They're not getting the experience of playing at Ibrox either. Where are home games now. Stirling or Broadwood or something?
Playing against people with limited skill and who play the game like it’s a full contact sport.
The kids will learn nothing other than how to try and cope with getting kicked all over the place.

You guys seem to know more about youth development than Ross Wilson and Craig Mulholland.

Should contact the club quick and set them straight before they make a grave mistake.

Doesn't seem like the years upon years of research and effort to get something like this off the ground has been thought through.

So how does this work? Could they be promoted? And how far? Could we end up with two Rangers teams in the premiership? That would be outstanding:)
No its one season deal only. No promotion.

Looks very like it is partly to show the SFL teams how good it could be for them.

There will be a big push on getting fans to go as well imo.

Then it will be back at the negotiation table with the SFL and SFA. Even that will be capped at furthest we could go would be Championship I expect.

I take it our home games will be at the training centre and nnot Ibrox?

Players who want to make it at Rangers need to learn to cope with that sort of attention. It doesn't go away in the top team that's for sure! One would say that it's the exact point of the whole exercise, so that the kids learn to play against negative football and aggressive attention from a young age and become skilled in working against this before they even get near our first 11!

Plenty folk on there probably flit between grounds ticking off like trainspotters. They would rather see their clubs die and only have ten in attendance who were authentic. Madness. Clubs at all levels need to get better organised and build the game for their own future. How many kids want to go and see League One and Two never mind below that?

Lowland teams will get a new punters this way. Folk who live local will go to the Colts and go back again. I can see why they went for it.

Yep, I imagine it will be a sight worse than the championship, L1 and L2

How will it be a sight worse than L2 man?

The teams promoted to L2 from the regional leagues are both in the play offs for promotion to the Championship and League 1 at the moment, having finished 1st and 2nd in L2 last season. Suggests that the better sides in the regional league are, over the course of an entire season, better footballing outfits than most of the dross in L1 and L2 - that wouldn't be the case if the skullduggery was significantly worse in LL and HL.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Cove, Edinburgh City, Brora and Kelty are all playing in Championship and potentially one or two in the SPL five or six seasons from now. The tricky part is the initial play-off, as that's more of a lottery, but once they get into the league structure they'll work their way through the divisions no problem.

How will it be a sight worse than L2 man?

The teams promoted to L2 from the regional leagues are both in the play offs for promotion to the Championship and League 1 at the moment, having finished 1st and 2nd in L2 last season. Suggests that the better sides in the regional league are, over the course of an entire season, better footballing outfits than most of the dross in L1 and L2 - that wouldn't be the case if the skullduggery was significantly worse in LL and HL.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Cove, Edinburgh City, Brora and Kelty are all playing in Championship and potentially one or two in the SPL five or six seasons from now. The tricky part is the initial play-off, as that's more of a lottery, but once they get into the league structure they'll work their way through the divisions no problem.

Yeah it really has provided a platform for the more ambitious clubs to rise up through the ranks.

Teams like East Stirling who used to finish consistently bottom of the bottom division also find their level.

Just your classic example of hating us and them more than they like their own team. Its funny they mention the word integrity yet want a team from the WOSFL to take our place instead. That will be the same league that allowed teams to withdraw at the start of the season and during it. They also started knowing there would be no promotion or relegation for a year so where would the integrity be for a team in that league to go into the Lowland League?

Great news.

Hopefully this is just the start.

Almost every successful football nation has this set up.
I agree. But not sure what they will learn playing especially some of the bottom lowland sides. Hopefully at some point will get to league two and league one etc where the overall level is better in general..

What teams have you watched? Kelty Bonnyrigg and Bo'ness are decent ambitious outfits. EK and BSC have money behind them. There's some absolute gutter in that league though. Fort fucking William stuffed Vale of Leithen 5-0 in the Scottish Cup a couple of years ago. There's a lot of teams from the South of Scotland, ex boys clubs, uni teams at that level simply because they got into the pyramid before the juniors did. I'd back the gutter WoS teams like Newmains or Saltcoats to beat some of the shite at the bottom of that league never mind Talbot or Darvel.
A lot of what you say is true but it is an evolving league which is still finding its place. As the better juniors get in to it then it will have a much bigger level. Just needs a little time.

Playing against people with limited skill and who play the game like it’s a full contact sport.
The kids will learn nothing other than how to try and cope with getting kicked all over the place.
So you're saying they will learn to play and cope with playing teams like Aberdeen and Hibs. The SPFL is all about who can kick %^*& out of our players the best. That's Scottish football as whole. Just my opinion of course

Does anyone know what kind of price is charged to watch this level?
And is there a usual kick off time or is it all over the place.
If it's a tenner or less and 3 o'clock on a Saturday I'd go to most games.

Don't know about other teams but Kelty prices before lockdown were:

£8 adults, £4 concessions, under 12s free with and adult.

Or if you wanted a day out it was £40 for hospitality which included pre match, half time and fill time food and 6 free drinks.

Lets see if this one season trial is worth it both from us and from the Lowland League before making any real judgement

Hopefully the finer details of the plans will come out shortly

It might be a dose of reality from both sides once it is done

Is this not a slap in the face to Liewells Lackys at Hampden who have done nothing for Scottish Football, Bar One!

This is just for 1 season so hopefully if we can prove it works ok we can get them a level up in L2.

Back