Comedy Charlton statement on Lee Bowyer contract

Le Capitan

Official Ticketer
This is gold :D Almost rivals the bitterness of St Pat’s statement on Turnbull.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d...reement-with-lee-bowyer-on-contract-extension

Charlton unable to reach an agreement with Lee Bowyer on contract extension

17th June 2019 15:16pm

Charlton Athletic have been unable to reach an agreement with manager Lee Bowyer regarding the extension of his contract.
The fact the club is for sale has not helped with finding an agreement. The current owner needs to take into account that a new owner may want to appoint his own manager. However, this concern did not stop the current owner proposing a contract extension of one year to Lee Bowyer, even though the club may be sold in a few weeks. Under those circumstances a multi-year extension would not be good business practice.
In addition, since the club is still losing money, which is one of the reasons why the club has not been sold yet, the focus on reducing costs means that we are extremely limited on payroll increases.
Lee has been offered a one-year extension to his contract at a level which is approximately three times what he had since his last increase when he became permanent manager in September. It is six times what he earned when he started as assistant manager in 2017 and 50% more than what any Charlton manager previously had (excluding the Premier League years). This reflects the strong desire we have to continue to have Lee as our manager. But Lee wanted much more.
The owner understands Lee’s point of view, because many Championship clubs pay huge amounts (some pay millions of £ per year) to their manager. It is fair that Lee feels he should be paid like many other Championship managers. That the average Championship club makes a loss of around £15 million per year is not something players should care about. The owners are crazy.
This is why we could not come to an agreement. Another element may have influenced as well. Unlike previous contract discussions, Lee wanted an agent to handle it. We reluctantly accepted. However, involving a player agent in a manager’s contract discussion is not healthy. If the agent helps make the manager more money, it may result in the manager to have a more positive attitude towards players proposed by the same agent, a conflict of interest. Obviously, Lee is above such things, but it is nevertheless not a healthy situation.
The club hasn’t started to look for any other manager in the meantime and does not intend to appoint a permanent manager, since the club is going to be sold. A caretaker manager will be announced in due course and in the meantime the other staff members will continue to prepare the upcoming season for which a lot of good work has been performed already.
If Lee does change his mind before his contract expires and chooses to continue his good work at Charlton, he is still welcome to stay.

However our ability to sell the club is the most important thing right now.

Obviously, Lee is above such things, but it is nevertheless not a healthy situation

:D

Dirty laundry well and truly out in the wind there!
So what if a new owner comes in, if they want their own manager then you'd imagine it to be a disastrous start to your regime by bumping out a former player and promotion achieving gaffer! Deserves a 3 year deal paid up in full if a new owner wants him out imo

Fucking hell.

Don't write statements when pished, kids.

Or own football clubs when you have half a brain, for that matter.
Amateur hour there. I feel genuinely sorry for their fans. At least me managed to keep the crayons away from the bus drivers for the main part...

The owner is crazy. Made me laugh!

What a statement to put out in public, which in this day and age means available in perpetuity.

What is the point in these kind of owners? Hard to see what their plan ever was at Charlton as they have solid foundations they could have built well on.

It seemed as though they bought Charlton thinking they'd be easy enough to get back into the top flight and just sponge the profits and float players between Charlton and their other clubs. Unlike the Watford owners, they had no interest in investing in players or infrastructure though.

Got to feel for the Charlton fans.Lot of good loyalists among them and they are being shat on by spivs.
Really hope things work out for them in the end.

Thanks for your messages of support. Charlton has been my adopted team down here for quit a few years and I can confirm that most of their fans are on our side, I'm often asked when we'll be back on top.
Latest is Bow spoke to Duchatelat post the drivel and they are speaking again in the morning. Bow has united the team and the fans and achieved an amazing success this season despite the owner doing his best to sabotage promotion.
It's in the lap of the gods now,not too many Dave Kings around though.

It's a damn shame what's happened at Charlton. I used to follow them when I lived in that London and went to the Valley many times. It was a great, well run, friendly club. Since they fell out of the EPL, they've been shafted by an absolute walloper of an owner.

I don't think Bowyer would have been hard to deal with, he seemed very happy to stay at Charlton. The owner is a crackpot.

Lee Bowyer has signed a new contract with Charlton, despite the club yesterday stating their manager had left the club

Thanks for posting, buffoonery of the highest order that sort of statement.I hope the Charlton Athletic fans get their club running in the correct manner as soon as possible.
Having your club owned and ran by chancers and patter merchants can be very painful,as we all know.

qp0x1i.jpg

Back