Competition and Markets Authority reveals price-fixing talks over Rangers FC shirts

Rangers fans dont rip off other Rangers fans.

Thats my outlook on life, look after your ain kind.

This shows the contempt all in sundry at Rangers have for the fans.

Change is needed.

Or the club match Elite's price and sell outs at £55.
Money grabbing bastards. Every opportunity they have the club fleece us.
Save me the narrative of they put money in etc they will get that money back should they sell the converted shares. Fans don't get their money back. The CL package was a disgrace especially when there was no backing for the manager following CL qualification.
They charge what the fans are willing to pay. While you may not agree with the strategy, the language you use here is uncalled for IMO. Every pound we need to operate/improve has to come from somewhere: supporters, investors, commercial partners or prize money are the main sources.

Regarding getting their money back. The going rate for a Rangers share these days seems to be 20p. At that price, Douglas Park's 52m shares are worth £10.4 million. Pretty sure he has put in a good deal more than that.

They charge what the fans are willing to pay. While you may not agree with the strategy, the language you use here is uncalled for IMO. Every pound we need to operate/improve has to come from somewhere: supporters, investors, commercial partners or prize money are the main sources.

Regarding getting their money back. The going rate for a Rangers share these days seems to be 20p. At that price, Douglas Park's 52m shares are worth £10.4 million. Pretty sure he has put in a good deal more than that.
Its 25p a share now, makes them worth £13m. When he converted and bought they were 20p a share

He has provided between £7m and £9.3m in loans converted to equity (2018/19 accounts arent clear who provided them) according to the accounts so must have bought the rest.

They have already had an investor seeking to buy shares at a higher value. Their investment is doing alright.

JD sports were selling them at £55.
Elite/Rangers got in touch and the price at JD went to £60 to match the Elite/Rangers price.
Thats price fixing.

Doesn't matter if it should've been £60 to begin with or if other strips are £100. As soon as a retailer gets in contact with another to collude on pricing then the CMA has to get involved whenever they have evidence of it happening.

Improve? Really?

Those quotes about the 'noise from the fans' and 'frenzy' on social media is almost like someone in the club is blaming the fans for creating this situation. Probably said the same about the Australian farce.

I think you’re over-egging your anti board pudding a bit here. You make it sound like the board sat down and plotted out of sheer malice or malignant incompetence, to overcharge Rangers fans.
I think there’s been a cock up, no doubt, but the level of culpability is not as cut and dried as you portray.
The fines issued by the CMA would seem to illustrate that.
JD - £1.49million
Elite - £459,000
Us - £225,000
Nor do I think we have the full facts and I certainly ain’t impressed with some of our board decisions. Far from it.
I don’t think that a slanted rush to judgement is fair either.
I think if jd hasn't amended the price to match then nothing happens they can however it isn't clear cut u think as valleyblue nose said there's something missing in it all

Our current deal with Castore sees our merchandise priced a fair bit higher than the previous deal yet complies with the regulations.

I personally don't see the huge fuss with the previous deal, our prices weren't exactly expensive when you compared with other clubs. The so called price fixing aspect has come about through poor communication (unsurprisingly).
The problem is that the “director” (assuming they acted on their own) decided it would be easier to get JD to increase their prices rather than Elite lowering them £5 after their mistake.
Yeah it’s only £5, but it’s £5 multiplied by thousands that should’ve been in the fans pockets. It shows the utter contempt those in charge feel towards us despite all their soundbites whenever it’s ST renewal time or time for us to fork out for EH packages etc

We were clearly in the wrong on this occasion as were the companies involved. We certainly get into a right mess regarding contract management. Major improvements are needed in this area.

Some posts suggesting the fiver difference is inconsequential and Rangers could have simply dropped the Rangers store prices to £55.

If we are shifting 500k units per year (I have no idea but have heard this mooted) then that is £2.5m over the course of a year, and over the course of a contract it's huge.

Some posts suggesting the fiver difference is inconsequential and Rangers could have simply dropped the Rangers store prices to £55.

If we are shifting 500k units per year (I have no idea but have heard this mooted) then that is £2.5m over the course of a year, and over the course of a contract it's huge.
And?

We werent seeing it in our coffers. We had a deal with Elite

Last edited:
I have no sympathy for the club here as it’s another example of how they would rather hit the support in the pocket. All retailers should be trying to offer value and give people reason to shop at their establishment. If JD were able to make profit at £55 then it was up to the club store/elite to give you reason to buy from them. They could have reduced the price or given away a voucher or something. The club conspired because it was sacred fans though bad of them because they were more expensive.

How often will this board make mistakes to cause the club to pay needless fines?

Dave King has had his shares up for sale for about 2 years now and isn't getting his money back very easily.
You need to understand that this is completely irrelevant as it does not meet the necessary criteria of Board bad, need sacked, money grabbers etc, ad nauseam.

At the end of the day, the ones who got shafted in this whole sorry mess was us. Again.

Clearly the extra £5 was worth more than loyalty to the fan base.
Totally agree,once again we get it wrong and the only one's who suffer are the supporters or at least until they others get caught,this type of thing has happened to often to be just stupidity.

Back