Completely new era

Bishybear30

I was just thinking back to the games we beat Lyon and even Sporting under Walter and they amazing results were actually surprises along with the Uefa cup run and the last 16 under McLeish.

Now after taking scalps such as Rapid, Legia, Porto, Feyenoord, Young Boys, Braga and now Standard... these are now becoming something we are not surprised about.

People have said Souness brought a revolution to Rangers but we never quite done it on the big stage with the world watching.

Tonight the footballing world is talking about our player scoring one of the best goals to be seen when beating a team that hadn’t lost at home in 6 years of European football... WTF

Gerrard has turned our club into a competing European team that can give anyone a game. Wowzer

Last edited:
Without the success in Europe our recovery would have been far far tougher. We all get the fact that Rangers is about winning but what he has achieved has been far more important than winning anything other than the league title. Anyone adopting a sense of realism knew he was going to take a long time to get a squad ready for a genuine title challenge but we are just about there. No point getting carried away but what they have achieved over the period has been unbelievable.

The club has been rebuilt brick by brick. We’ve looked long term this time and learned from the huge errors of the 90’s and early 00’s. We have a plan, a structure, a number of wealthy individuals backing us. It’s hugely exciting but needs patience too.

I’ve had my season ticket since early 2000s and it’s the first time I’ve felt confident and can actually enjoy European games. Getting to Manchester was amazing as a whole but the individual matches were mainly nervy defensive games that we’re hard to enjoy until they were finished. It’s incredible what Gerrards achieved, he’s a few trophies away from legendary status with us.

Are we going to recover the inane ‘nae trophies gone at the end of the season’ threads from a month ago ?

Plenty of us sat nodding contentedly tonight.

We knew what was coming a month ago we know whats coming now.

Our record against the second tier European teams is very, very good under SG and we are improving year on year. We will hopefully continue this upward trend if/when we get into the CL and keep improving the squad to compete at EL/CL level with the top teams (at very least to not be humiliated by the elite tier) and get to latter stages.

How does Gerrard rank in terms of our best ever European manager? Must be up there.
I think he has to be regarded as the best
I can't recall any Rangers manager consistently delivering results and performances like this in Europe
If you factor in where we were when he came in and our budget compared to the teams we are playing against its all the more remarkable

SG is delivering on the European front like we all wanted him to do and he's doing it in a professional manner.
Question I've just asked myself is in hind sight would I have sacrificed Europe for the last 3 years for the league and the paltry money it brings against what we have taken in during our 3 runs in Europe??? That will be answered in May I suppose.

I think he has to be regarded as the best
I can't recall any Rangers manager consistently delivering results and performances like this in Europe
If you factor in where we were when he came in and our budget compared to the teams we are playing against its all the more remarkable
He's done exceptionally well but I'd think Waddell and Symon would be very unhappy if Gerrard was classed as better than them in Europe

He's done exceptionally well but I'd think Waddell and Symon would be very unhappy if Gerrard was classed as better than them in Europe
Always tricky comparing across eras especially when Scottish teams generally did much better then than they do now. Game has moved on so much and Scotland's place in it has diminished incredibly
Barcelona will always cement Waddell's place and we will never again reach semi's and finals as often as Symon did
But if the question is what manager has had the biggest impact in terms of European performances I still think it's Gerrard. He has consistently surpassed all reasonable expectations in a way I don't think any other manager has.
I don't think he's had a single result in Europe that could be considered genuinely bad.

Been going to watch us since 83, and this is without doubt, the most comfortable Rangers team I have seen in European football.

Our control in games is something I never thought possible from a Scottish side playing at this level.

Agree. When you look at Porto and Middtyjlland in the CL, we are better than both of them. Need the league win to get there and prove it though.
Not that it will matter, but even second will now give us CL qualifiers. Another sign of the progress we've made for Scotland the last three seasons.

Been going to watch us since 83, and this is without doubt, the most comfortable Rangers team I have seen in European football.

Our control in games is something I never thought possible from a Scottish side playing at this level.

This, it's not just the results it's the style of football. Controlled aggression, skilful, fast counter attacking football. We're a great young team to watch and our fitness levels are phenomenal.
All done on a tiny budget by European standards.
Keep it going Stevie G and you'll have the freedom of Glasgow. South side anyways.

Without getting carried away, Rangers getting to the latter rounds this year wouldn’t be something that would surprise me now

This season you can see it coming together on the park and also mentally with the players.

Gerrard and his staff being given time and trust to revolutionise the club to modern professional standards on and off the park is now starting to bear fruit.

Gerrard is hungry, the players are hungry , the supporters are ravenous.....and once that first trophy is hoisted by Tavernier its lift off.

When you think that back in March, just before lockdown, many on here wanted Gerrard gone as well. The fickleness of football fans eh?

Apart from a brief interlude in Advocaat's reign most of the best results I've seen in Europe particularly away from home have been the product of 90 mins of nerve-shredding, backs to the wall, Rorke's Drift style defensive pinball.

This is calm, well organised, your strikers can't get close enough to see the colour of our goalie's shirt defending interspersed with a mix of controlled possession and lightning one touch counters.

For a team without global superstars it's massively impressive

Whilst enjoying their pain this week
had a wee nosey on K d street forum
A poster reckoned if Sevco (aye) got the 30/40 million from champions league entry they would spend it.
Unlike them who still look for loanees and such.
loving their pain.

I agree with you

I expect to beat teams in Europe now.
Same actually. My dad was giving it the stats about them not being beat at home in 6 years in Europe etc and my reply was “well tonight is the night that ends, simple”. I just knew we were winning.

Back