Concerned about our form

Jaws II

We have now thrown strong winning positions away against Feyenoord, Aberdeen and Young Boys and also failed to beat Celtic despite dominating the play in most of these games . We had numerous opportunities to win them and couldn’t take advantage while our defence has looked fragile at times also. There is also the concern that apart from Morelos nobody else seems to be scoring also.
This has to be sorted over the next few busy game schedule until the winter break, I am just thankful we got through last night.

I personally think we looked a little deflated last night. I’m sure the Aberdeen and Celtic results are still in the bag of their minds.

Another tough game on Sunday but we must come out positive and take the game to Motherwell.

As support all we can do is stay positive toward the team.

The two wide players need to score. Countless times over the last week the ball has been loose in the 6 yard box waiting on a tap in.

Alfie has at least one of those diagonal shots per game. The player from the opposite side must match his run for any rebounds.

We have now thrown strong winning positions away against Feyenoord, Aberdeen and Young Boys and also failed to beat Celtic despite dominating the play in most of these games . We had numerous opportunities to win them and couldn’t take advantage while our defence has looked fragile at times also. There is also the concern that apart from Morelos nobody else seems to be scoring also.
This has to be sorted over the next few busy game schedule until the winter break, I am just thankful we got through last night.
In the last three matches, despite faing to win we've played some sparkling football. The first 40mins v Aberdeen, the first 70 mins v them and the first 60 mins last night were all superb, so I'm not so concerned about form as such.
What is a concern though is our inability to sustain our good form and our inability to kill games off.

I think in those games we have missed the ref getting the big calls correct.
However i also take your point about converting pressure into goals. We need more threat from midfield in games, Jack/Davis/Kamara show flashes but arent consistent goal threats (they are very good elsewhere btw) and our wingers seem to have dried up a little in terms of goals scoring. You also have to factor in, we play a very high energy pressing game, going back to back games in europe/league/cups will take its toll.

I personally think we looked a little deflated last night. I’m sure the Aberdeen and Celtic results are still in the bag of their minds.

Another tough game on Sunday but we must come out positive and take the game to Motherwell.

We absolutely battered that mob last night from the get go until half time so surely if we were deflated as a result of said results it would be evident from the start?

The two wide players need to score. Countless times over the last week the ball has been loose in the 6 yard box waiting on a tap in.

Alfie has at least one of those diagonal shots per game. The player from the opposite side must match his run for any rebounds.

I agree with this. Morelos has a great shot like this last night in the 2nd half. Kent should have been moving in for the rebound but was standing on the 18 yard line.

Overall I thought we were below par last night , looked leggy and slack on the ball , game was littered with mistakes from both sides , happy we got the job done , but we need to be much better for the games coming up , that’s 3 massive games in a row and we haven’t won 1.

In the last three matches, despite faing to win we've played some sparkling football. The first 40mins v Aberdeen, the first 70 mins v them and the first 60 mins last night were all superb, so I'm not so concerned about form as such.
What is a concern though is our inability to sustain our good form and our inability to kill games off.

its very common for teams to do this though. We've played well in games and absolutely destroyed the opposition. At the moment it just isn't happening in front of goal.

The most important thing though is we are playing well and creating chances, our form and luck in front of goal will return.

I'd be more concerned if the players weren't performing as they are and not creating anything.

have to say im the same, Defoes goals have dried up, although granted he hasn't played too much, but the lack of goals from midfield is a genuine concern

That's amazing. Post of the day and it's not even 10 o'clock yet.

In our last 10 games we've scored 24 goals and half of them were scored by midfielders. What sort of return are you expecting?

Reckon starting greg stewart would give us some additional goals no one else apart from jack has really stepped up with goals from midfield this season

We were outstanding for long spells. I'm not sure what made you think we were deflated.

We could really be doing with scoring a few goals, and putting in a comfortable win on Sunday just to put these jitters that seem to be creeping in behind us.

I think this is the reason I wasn't feeling as happy as I should have last night.
I know we went through but i was really annoyed with the match. Again, chances squandered and much like the last few games we should have been at least 2 or 3 up. We didnt look like scoring in the 2nd half and had it gone on any longer my feeling is they could have scored again. That stuff needs to stop. Again we were a totally different side second half.
Next round we need really be far more clinical and not drop our standards. Next round will be the toughest yet.

Its amazing though what Stevie has done and how far we've come. Undefeated at Ibrox, players in team of the week, highest scorer in the competition. We've come so far.

Aye, personally I have much preferred the last season or seven.
Yes, things could be better, but my god they could be a helluva lot worse.

We were outstanding for long spells. I'm not sure what made you think we were deflated.

This isn’t a complaint btw. I was buzzing we got the result and progressed.

Just think we were a little slack at times with passing and should of taken more of our chances. Chances missed are what cost us the last two games.

Last night will have been a massive relief to the team and management. They'll use it to draw a line under the Aberdeen and cup results.

Full focus on the league again. Just need Kent, Aribo and Arfield to get their scoring boots on. More ariel threat needed from the CBs at corners and also more shots from Barasic and Tav.

Players can relax and calm down for two days and come back storming against Motherwell. Confident.

The problem isnt form its relying too much on Alfredos goals. Last night for example on a wet slippy night our midfield were again reluctant to shoot on sight. We really need goals from other areas

Drives me mad how our players dont run to the back post. just adds another option yet too often our players just want to hand out around the penalty spot. If Defoe and Alfie could play together it wouldnt be as bad as both do it but they cant so they're always central

Yep.

The lack of goal scoring threat from everyone except Alfie is again a big problem for us, same as last season. We haven’t addressed it properly.

Poster above mentioned it, thats now last night and tonight where Morelos shot has been parrier and its rolled across the box with an empty goal and we’ve nobody anywhere near it.

We’re far too conservative and it won’t change. Gerrard is obsessed with controlling the midfield, but they don’t contribute anywhere near enough up the park. He won’t sacrifice control for a more attacking minded player.

Of the three games , last nights wasn’t must win, rather must not lose. However, we’ve won none of the games . It’s a concern

It is slightly concerning and there is a reliance on Alfredo for goals. It is also undeniable that when we concede that anxiety spreads through the team and support rapidly.

I’d be a lot more concerned if we did not look capable of winning

As it is folk are in the huff because professional sport doesnt always yield was was deserved

We look very very very tired

Yep.

The lack of goal scoring threat from everyone except Alfie is again a big problem for us, same as last season. We haven’t addressed it properly.

Poster above mentioned it, thats now last night and tonight where Morelos shot has been parrier and its rolled across the box with an empty goal and we’ve nobody anywhere near it.

We’re far too conservative and it won’t change. Gerrard is obsessed with controlling the midfield, but they don’t contribute anywhere near enough up the park. He won’t sacrifice control for a more attacking minded player.

That's a few times I've seen this posted with no regard at all for the facts. As per my previous post:

In our last 10 games we've scored 24 goals and half of them were scored by midfielders. What sort of return are you expecting?

This is a great point, there was an opportunity from a rebound for Aribo against the mentally challengeds and if he had gambled he would've had a tap in. I would say that Aribo has been excellent this week in both games and he's not a traditional forward which maybe explains his positioning in these instances.

That's a few times I've seen this posted with no regard at all for the facts. As per my previous post:

We are talking about our form in the last few weeks, we have not won a game in our last 4. We should have won all of them.

Back