Confidence

Rodney Wallace

Mentioned in another thread but wanted to get a wider view.

Going into the winter break we were on song, with several players all playing 8/9 out of 10 over the course of several games. Players were trying things and linking well. Passing was fluent and players were not playing within themselves.

Our results since then are obviously well documented, and despite last night ending amazingly I am sure it's not too much of a stretch to say for 60 minutes we were brutal.

For me several players seem low or lacking in confidence.

Kamara
Kent
Morelos
Arfield
Davis
Goldson
Jack
Tav

Now within that list several of the players did some things very well last night and I 100 percent acknowledge they set a high standard before the break. But for me a lack of confidence is still evident in things like.

Decision making under pressure
Being instinctive
Trying successfully to play a pass that isn't straightforward
Beating men
Passing being precise and taking the ball in tight situations
Putting together more than one phase of play ( basically moving the ball front to back with multiple passes)

What might be causing it? Without throwing the players individually under the bus, what as a team has affected the players?

I agree that we have a lot of players lacking in confidence but I wouldn’t include Arfield.
I think he’s been our best player in the last few games and 4 goals from midfield would not suggest he’s lacking in confidence.

I agree that we have a lot of players lacking in confidence but I wouldn’t include Arfield.
I think he’s been our best player in the last few games and 4 goals from midfield would not suggest he’s lacking in confidence.
My first thoughts too.

OP clearly has a good point, but some examples are strange. Well Arfield for sure. Jack I'm unsure on too because of injury/suspension limiting his game time.

My first thoughts too.

OP clearly has a good point, but some examples are strange. Well Arfield for sure. Jack I'm unsure on too because of injury/suspension limiting his game time.
I think Jack has looked below par but I wouldn’t be surprised if he is still trying to play through that injury.
I still think he’s massive for us and makes a huge difference to Davo’s performances.

Same thing happened this time last season.

What’s all the more galling is the fact we actually had our fate in our own hands this time round.

The league’s gone for another year, a harsh truth that has to be faced.

If we go through the same scenario next season, I think Gerrard’s done.

Agree mate, I did waiver a bit on him.

He has a lot of positives, but being picky I included him as he gives the ball away an awful lot, especially when trying to play a killer pass.

That's why I mentioned him.

Back