Connor Goldson - brilliant signing and our best CB

What's the story

*best*

So many of our supporters have short memories. Been excellent for us. Sure old firm error was costly but hes been a warrior for us since signing, deserves backing from us. Not a witch hunt to oust him from team.

Love the big man. Rightly trusted by Gerrard.

Needs more work as a defender lets the ball bounce too much and his passing is not great now, excellent vocally at the back but needs to concentrate more.
Still one of our best defenders.

It’s not just 1 error!
His distribution is poor and he’s been lucky not to be punished more for errors.

Defence was poor on Saturday again.
He made another suicidal pass Yesterday but it was won back by Davis I think straight away. I like Goldson in general though I just reckon if that was Katic in OF he'd be dropped.

I'm going with Katic as our best CB but Helander and Edmundson not had their chance yet. And I think they'll be good too.

I agree but no one should be undroppable and be exempt from criticism. He has been very poor. How long does a 3.5m international defender stay on the bench? Or are you saying katic needs dropped?

I dont think goldson been anywhere near as bad as made out. Not as good as previously but no need to be dropped.

Helander needs to force his way in on merit. Not his transfer fee. Goldson cost similar.

His distribution needs to be better imo.

Night and day from what we have been subjected to in recent years.

We've got 4 good Centre backs now and hearing Helander has the leadership qualities that mean Goldson will no longer be the only voice across the back 4.
Pressure is on to keep the shirts all across the park

I think our biggest problem isn’t yet the individuals it’s more the pairing. We haven’t seen a pair that look solid together. Worrall definitely wasn’t worthy of being part of a first choice pair last season.

there's a reason every opposition team put their main striker on Connor Goldson as they see him as our weakest central defender he rarely dominates his direct opponent

Sometimes the combination of the players works well too -- for example a younger faster player to cover for an older, "wiser head".
Goldson & Katic work well enough together. imo Katic is probably the better player, but that's no slight on Goldson -- he was defintely a good signing.

Of course, the CBs really can't be correctly assessed unless they're in a proper defensive unit, and (without wanting to start another argument) that really requires us having good defensive full backs that don't leave the CBs completely exposed sometimes.

His passing is really poor, doesn't look safe on the ball, gets bullied by opponents far too easily and still thinks he gets the same amount of time on the ball as he did in the Championship.

Apart from that Mr Goldson snr I think you're lads been a half decent signing

His first few months were excellent. December onwards he had several ropey patches to say the least. I think Katic last last season (when allowed back in after being dropped for Worral) and this season has performed better, and will continue to improve and will show himself to be a better player long term. Katic also has an edge offering a much bigger goal treat at set pieces. The only ones who’ll say otherwise are those who didn’t want to accept Gerrard could make any big mistakes, so backed his selection of Worral by downplaying Katic, and are too stubborn and proud to admit they got it wrong and give the guy his due since he’s come back in and performed to a high standard, so they’ve got to stick to their baseless argument.

I really like Goldson, however, he is undroppable. Wait till Katic has a few poor games consecutively and he’ll be whipped right out the team in favour of Helander.

I've got a lot of time for him but I'd like to see Helander get a chance. If nothing else it reminds Goldson that his place in the team isn't sacred. You're right he has been phenomenal for us on the whole but he hasn't performed to that level recently. I know Katic didn't have a great game either yesterday but I'd say Katic has had a stronger start to the season therefore CG deserves to be the first one to be rested

How about giving an opinion on what your eyes tell you when you watch a game that’s not a witch hunt.

He has got sloppy falling asleep at set pieces his positioning has been very poor of late and his distribution is nothing short of diabolical he gives the ball away more than anyone else in the side.

He was absolutely immense last season until he picked up a injury and hasn’t looked the same player since.

Every bear I know gets nervous when he is on the ball and gets pressured see the Celtic game for an example.

When he's at his best, I'd agree he is the best CB at the club. Problem is he's not been at his best for some time. Gaffer needs to do the right thing and bench such players, whether they are favourites of his or not.

Katic was just as bad in the OF and was worse yesterday IMO. I love them both but you could equally make a case for Niko being dropped for poor form.

Nope OP not having any of that nonsense, your only as good as your last game.....and need to smash it every week if you want a jersey.....end of!

It’s not just 1 error!
His distribution is poor and he’s been lucky not to be punished more for errors.

Defence was poor on Saturday again.
He wasn’t the defence though.
That was five of them plus what’s in front of them.
As for his distribution, he nowhere near as bad as you imply but, when did a centre back’s distribution determine his overall quality?

Since the winter break last season I can only remember a handful of games where Goldson has played well. He never used to panic under pressure, but now he plays either too safe with a lack of urgency or hits wayward long balls. He isn’t brave enough to drive quickly forward into space when the chance presents itself. Furthermore he’s starting to get bullied by hammer throwers. He is never out the team and it could be he needs a break. Up until last Xmas he was one of, if not THE most reliable player.

Katic was just as bad in the OF and was worse yesterday IMO. I love them both but you could equally make a case for Niko being dropped for poor form.
No you can’t. Katic has had two really poor games, Goldson has had several going back into last season too. Dropping Katic now would show clear favouritism and would again show Gerrard to be going against what he said about no one being guaranteed a place.

Apart from the odd favouritism that gets shown to certain players on here, I just don’t get the stick that is given to Goldson.

He is an excellent defender, reads the game well and is outback best centre half at the moment by a decent chunk.

Katic has plenty potential and has improved strongly over the last year or so, particularly excellent against Legia, and I have very high hopes that Helander will be extremely solid but haven’t had the chance to see it yet obviously.

With style and side of the pitch, I think it is Goldson and either of Katic or Helander for us.

It’s touch and go between Katic and Goldson for me the now for best CB - different strengths and weaknesses.

But we need to be thinking about our business model going forward and there is only one winner when it comes to future sell on value.

So Katic for me should be first choice with his partners place up for grabs.

Would like to see how Hellander does with a run in the team beside him.

Two years ago we earned a point in Firhill with Cardoso and Alves as our centre backs. So I have to say I'm quite pleased with how things are going with Goldson and the other three quality centre backs. We have to remember, that even Goldson and Helander, even they're considered as "more experienced guys, are just coming into the best age for central defender. Good days are coming.

there's a reason every opposition team put their main striker on Connor Goldson as they see him as our weakest central defender he rarely dominates his direct opponent

I hate this place for posts like this.

Absolute nonsense that will stay in some fans heads, I reckon most people on here only see us in highlights on sportscene whatever and their opinion of players is based on this forums favourites.

Goldson has been getting slaughtered over the top since the old firm, he's the better defender right now between him and Katic. Katic's errors don't seem to be highlighted in the same way by certain posters.

We're lucky we have four centre halves who should be good enough to slot into our first eleven if called upon.

For me, and many others including the gaffer it seems Goldson is our best choice.

Obviously your man on the forums knows more than Stevie G and Gary Mac though.

Absolute nonsense that will stay in some fans heads, I reckon most people on here only see us in highlights on sportscene whatever and their opinion of players is based on this forums favourites.

Goldson has been getting slaughtered over the top since the old firm, he's the better defender right now between him and Katic. Katic's errors don't seem to be highlighted in the same way by certain posters.

We're lucky we have four centre halves who should be good enough to slot into our first eleven if called upon.

For me, and many others including the gaffer it seems Goldson is our best choice.

I find it to be the opposite. We’ve got a group who can’t wait to shine a light on any Katic error but like to sweep Goldson’s under the rug. Even in that OF game we had people actually try and claim both centre backs share equal blame for the goal when Goldson was clearly the instigator and chief culprit for the whole thing.

As for the last bit, I had a brief discussion earlier about how the pros often get it wrong, sometimes very wrong, and that football is a simple game. That brings me back to the OF game, would you say Stevie G and Gary Mac got it right and the fans who showed concern for the line up and insisted Jones and Morelos should have started, got it wrong? It would be a boring place if they didn’t make mistakes and we were allowed to challenge some of their calls, especially when they are shown to be blatant errors of judgement, ala two weeks ago.

I rate Goldson but his form has dipped in the last couple of games. I think it's time we introduced Helander to the side, although it'll be Katic who drops out.

Not at all only giving an opinion , its been said " do you even watch Rangers " maybe if some fans take off their blue tinted glasses they'll maybe see something different , its not unusual for strikers to target a defence's weakness and Goldson almost sold us in an " one on one " against Legia before we scored ...... so to answer a few of you " yes i do actually watch Rangers "

Not just Goldson, but as a fan base we really don't seem prepared to back our players through a dip in form.

I left the ground on Saturday ranting that Hellander and King should come in but then, I'm not managing that person. Gerrard has to back his players to get back on it, maybe then they'll take a painkilling objection to play through an OF game for him, like Goldson did before.

If the form gets too bad to ignore I agree you change it but never underestimate how easy it is on here or in the pub to talk about dropping players - we're not the ones doing it.

So a player who has been underperforming shouldn't be dropped? Next calling for Arfield to be dropped will be seen as a witch hunt.

Katić has had two poor games yet deserves to be dropped. Over the course of the season, Katić has been our best centre back overall IMO and would probably have made way for Helander had he made that error agaisnt the bheggars.

Goldson is solid but he's not the player made out to be and his distribution is awful. Of only the same applies to every player in terms of performing/under performing and being replaced in the side.

Back