Connor Goldson - brilliant signing and our best CB

there's a reason every opposition team put their main striker on Connor Goldson as they see him as our weakest central defender he rarely dominates his direct opponent
The majority of shots against us come from the other side of the park, not Goldsons.

I've never actually looked at it like that, so I take it all back - he's actually been excellent all season.

Going into the last game of last season we’d conceded exactly half the goals in the league that we had the previous season. That’s a massive change and Goldson is due a lot of the credit for that.

I like him a lot but he does have a few errors in him and some big weaknesses. In fact, I really like Katic but you could say the exact same about him.

On balance I reckon that Goldson is our best centre back but certainly not good enough to be immune from being dropped.

He's a cracking player however the point of a squad with two players for every position (SG's own oft stated philosophy) is that if your form dips the other guy comes in. Both Goldson and Katic were poor on Saturday and Goldson had a shocker against Celtic (not Katic's finest game either). Helander and Edmundson both due a chance IMHO.

Not excusing the OF mis-pass but the real issue here is too often the CBs are left with responsibility for creating attacks. Where's the out-ball, the midfield? Worral made an arse of it that time but he had no one to pass to, Bates was slaughtered regularly for the same thing.
Having said that, the manager missed a real opportunity to give the central defence a breather on Saturday before a very tough mid-week game.

Like the big guy but he’s not undroppable.

100% should not have played against Livi.
All about opinions.

He 100% should have started v Livi, for me.

He is our best CB. And will play virtually every match.

Again, everyone views it differently.

Well, of the two guys in possession I’d have Katic over Goldson. They do different jobs but I think Katic does his the better of the two. Edmundson & Helander are relatively unknown quantities but when SG split the Goldson/Katic combo last season was when we started leaking more goals. I doubt he’ll do it again until there is an injury to one of them.

The majority of shots against us come from the other side of the park, not Goldsons.

are you on about left side /right side ?? i've only said Goldson never dominates his opposite player and out of him and Katic strikers always pull on to him

Goldson is a good defender. I dont recall many posts on here saying we should get rid.
What i do see, is when his form dips, calls for him to be rested from the starting XI. That is literally the point in having a squad where more than one player is capable and pushing for the starting jersey. If your form dips you are under pressure.
The error at the old firm is one example, but there have been more. Katic he has been the stronger of the two since the start of the year, and has covered a lot of Goldsons errors.
I dont see that as unfair on Goldson, football is a mans game. Take the criticism

This has been rumbling along for a while now one side saying goldson has to sit on the bench for a while and the other saying he's the best defender for that position, imo he has been solid most of the time but there has been a few games where he's not been in it. There must be a reason that the manager sticks by him and Helander sits on the bench personally I like to see if the £3.5 million we paid for the swede was money well spent but in Gerrard we trust

There's not much between Katic and Goldson to be honest, both great players but both make simple mistakes.

Katic is younger and has the potential to far exceed Goldson and is certainly the more valuable to us imo.

*best*

So many of our supporters have short memories. Been excellent for us. Sure old firm error was costly but hes been a warrior for us since signing, deserves backing from us. Not a witch hunt to oust him from team.

Love the big man. Rightly trusted by Gerrard.
Well said OP. Some of the p!sh I've read on here and Social Media since "the Celtic pass" are ridiculous.

I back him, Katic or whoever SG decides in the starting 11. Goldson has been immense since he signed for Rangers. Katic has done very well this season but lets not kid on he is Franco Baresi!!

Keyboard warriors at their best. Massive game on Thursday night and as soon as team is selected all you will get is why is he playing, why is he no playing.. Blah blah..

Goldson's had plenty of good games for us but he's also had more mistakes (off the top of my head) than Katic, yet I'd put money on Katic getting dropped before Goldson ever does.

I like the big fella when he’s on his game but I never usually feel confident in him for 90 mins. A bit like bug Shirley McPherson back in the day, dependable but always with the option of a dolly day dream clanger now and then.

He's been a good signing that's for sure. Thought toward the end of last season he looked burnt out, no wonder after missing so much football previously.

I thought Sat would have been an ideal game to give him a rest and give Helander some much needed game time, even Edmundson could argue his case for a game. It's going to be difficult to keep all the centre halfs happy

He needs to stop thinking he is bloody Franco Baresi with these 40 yard passes, our midfield should always be available to take the ball from him

Nope OP not having any of that nonsense, your only as good as your last game.....and need to smash it every week if you want a jersey.....end of!

Helander impressed enough in the limited time hes had and in training? He cant have otherwise he would be playing. Goldson been the rock at heart of defence that's got us into Europa league twice with lots of clean sheets and hes chipped in with big goals already. Killie away especially. Hes vice captain for a reason. Never hides. We can agree to disagree haha

Goldson, cracking player, i`d argue not our best centre half though.....

We need to see more of Helander however to rank all 4 realistically.

*best*

So many of our supporters have short memories. Been excellent for us. Sure old firm error was costly but hes been a warrior for us since signing, deserves backing from us. Not a witch hunt to oust him from team.

Love the big man. Rightly trusted by Gerrard.
Like him to but he is not the best I'm afraid.

I like goldson but he does appear to be untouchable.

Untouchable in the sense that Gerrard absolutely trusts him, hes played constantly for us with niggles etc since signing and he is a goal threat. I can see why hes a go to guy for the gaffer.

Big clamour for helander, if we hadn't paid 3mil there wouldnt be. He looked ok in appearances so far.

Untouchable in the sense that Gerrard absolutely trusts him, hes played constantly for us with niggles etc since signing and he is a goal threat. I can see why hes a go to guy for the gaffer.

Big clamour for helander, if we hadn't paid 3mil there wouldnt be. He looked ok in appearances so far.
“Clamour for helander, if we hadn’t paid 3m there wouldn’t be”

If yer aunt had baws etc. The fact is we DID pay 3m for him.

Our two centre backs weren't great on Saturady and there centre forward bulied them. Goldson's distibution is simply just not good enough every single game he either passes the ball to the opposition or straight out the pitch. Not every single pass but it happes way too often. Helander needs to be given his chance now.

I never mentioned any fee though, you did.

Ok? Again the fee is what I keep seeing people say is a reason we need to get him in team. Not saying you did, just addressing a common point made when discussing if helander should play.

On a side note I actually think edmundson from what I have seen is more hard done by than helander so far Haha. Hes done nothing wrong.

Ok? Again the fee is what I keep seeing people say is a reason we need to get him in team. Not saying you did, just addressing a common point made when discussing if helander should play.

On a side note I actually think edmundson from what I have seen is more hard done by than helander so far Haha. Hes done nothing wrong.
Right but i never mentioned a fee, i said Goldson seems untouchable.

What has Helander done wrong that edmunson hasn’t? Helander came from a top league, where he was performing well at a decent size club and had international caps. Edmunson came from a toaty league and a toaty club, and is young... he was never ever going to be a starting CB.

Right but i never mentioned a fee, i said Goldson seems untouchable.

What has Helander done wrong that edmunson hasn’t? Helander came from a top league, where he was performing well at a decent size club and had international caps. Edmunson came from a toaty league and a toaty club, and is young... he was never ever going to be a starting CB.

Edmundson looked great every game so far hes played. I wasnt overly impressed with helander against st Mirren. He was fine but wasnt desperate to see him start ahead of any other cb

It does seem odd that we'd sign Helander for over £3m if there's no intention of playing him though.

He will be the whipping boy unfortunately as his pass led to the first goal that Celtic scored against us and that lives long in the memory for most supporters.

Whether people like it or not he is our no:1 CB. Him and Katic have had a big wobble in the last 2 games and with their being no room for sentiment i'd be bringing in Edmunson or Helander for Katic and if the CB pairing is still dodgy then CG will or should be dropped as well.

From what we have seen the other 2 CB's we have look solid and steady so if players aren't performing they should be dropped.

He made another suicidal pass Yesterday but it was won back by Davis I think straight away. I like Goldson in general though I just reckon if that was Katic in OF he'd be dropped.

I'm going with Katic as our best CB but Helander and Edmundson not had their chance yet. And I think they'll be good too.

Katic made more mistakes in the Old firm than Goldson, he’s just lucky that Goldson covered his arse on one and McGregor on the other. Then Saturday he almost cost us a goal as well fannying about and got robbed by Dykes, if not for Goldson he would probably have scored.

Goldson would do well to stop cocking his right wrist like a lassie while he's running. Other than that and a handful of pretty bad mistakes, he's a good player. There's nothing wrong with finding out if Helander or Edmunson are better by giving them a chance...

He will be the whipping boy unfortunately as his pass led to the first goal that Celtic scored against us and that lives long in the memory for most supporters.

Whether people like it or not he is our no:1 CB. Him and Katic have had a big wobble in the last 2 games and with their being no room for sentiment i'd be bringing in Edmunson or Helander for Katic and if the CB pairing is still dodgy then CG will or should be dropped as well.

From what we have seen the other 2 CB's we have look solid and steady so if players aren't performing they should be dropped.

Even though Katic has easily been our best centre back so far this season?

Katic made more mistakes in the Old firm than Goldson, he’s just lucky that Goldson covered his arse on one and McGregor on the other. Then Saturday he almost cost us a goal as well fannying about and got robbed by Dykes, if not for Goldson he would probably have scored.

In the most recent European tie Katic was covering Goldson's arse all night.

Even though Katic has easily been our best centre back so far this season?

In the most recent European tie Katic was covering Goldson's arse all night.

Not sure what your point is on the European fixture.
My point is that both have had bad games.

The clamour for Goldson to be dropped (from some) is nothing to do with performance or form it’s to do with not wanting Katic dropped. The same as last season when some would have you believe Worral was on par with Rob Kiernan just to justify getting Katic in.

We all have our favourites

Goldson is by far the better defender, his positioning is usually spot on. Katic on Saturday reminded me of the game against Motherwell last season where Main had him chasing shadows, and the game against Hamilton where he was taken off for Worrall as he was so poor which resulted in him sitting on the bench for a while.

Katic is a very good defender but he is only 22/23, he will have games like Saturday.

I think the reason people like Katic more than Goldson is he's seen as more of a 'warrior' than Goldson, like Prso was for us. Sometimes that blinkers people into thinking he is the better player than Goldson.

So a player who has been underperforming shouldn't be dropped? Next calling for Arfield to be dropped will be seen as a witch hunt.

Katić has had two poor games yet deserves to be dropped. Over the course of the season, Katić has been our best centre back overall IMO and would probably have made way for Helander had he made that error agaisnt the bheggars.

Goldson is solid but he's not the player made out to be and his distribution is awful. Of only the same applies to every player in terms of performing/under performing and being replaced in the side.

I agree with that, sad thing I genuinely believe the gaffer is waiting for Katic to have a few poor games consecutively so he can bring Helander in. I don’t believe he’s ever had any intention of dropping Goldson regardless or form. For me theres 3 players whom he deems undroppable: Tavernier, McGregor and Goldson. The first two make sense because the alternatives are not of the same standard (and McGregor is in top form anyway), but the Goldson one just doesn’t sit right with me. Don’t get me wrong, I really like him and think he’s a great player, but he seems to be exempt from from the ‘no players position is safe’ mantra, even when his form is ropey.

Back