"Conscious" choices not to apply the game laws

Coza

I have seen one referee all season whip his cards out from the first minute for clear and obvious bookings in a game involving us. Nick Walsh at Easter Road. Is it any coincidence this was probably our best controlled performance of the season domestically?

Ubik

Before Kent got up to his feet after being assaulted and wrestled to the ground I knew he was getting a yellow card. What for ? I have absolutely no idea.
why is it opposition players always fall on top of ours? there was no need for power to do that but it happens all the time especially to morelos.

Dunnybear

OP is bang on and I agree with every word. When Dicker throws himself to the ground, and the way he goes down there is simply one of two decisions to make.
  1. Penalty - There was a push/trip/pull which made him fall so dramatically to the ground inside the box. Decision: Penalty to Kilmarnock.
  2. No Penalty - Dicker has thrown himself dramatically to the ground in the box in an attempt to con the referee into giving the penalty. Decision: Simulation, free kick to Rangers, second yellow card to Dicker - sent off.
The way he went down wasn't the result of a "coming together", it was intended simulation, and how Beaton cannot see that is beyond me. If he doesn't give the penalty he has got to book him for diving.

Later in the game, Alfie's was a dive, but no difference from Dickers, no difference at all apart from Beaton's response.

I"m just surprised that he didn't give Alfie a 2nd yellow when he was pushed to the ground by the two hands of the defender.
Exactly - this is the most baffling of all the incidents. It’s about time refs were made to explain their decisions after game is over.

macjohn212

Nothing will change until a delegate from Rangers with compiled unequivocal evidence in hand , flanked by legal representatives , sit down with the powers that be and demand change

Dumfriesbear

I would like to hear from Beaton why he didn’t book Rory McKenzie for rugby tackling Tav,he was looking right at the incident.Why did he fail to produce a yellow card?
A small thing,but that is a stonewall booking in any game of football anywhere in the world,except when it is a Rangers player that is on the receiving end.
Also ask why Kent was booked for jumping back to his feet after being hauled down and grappled with by Power.
Was the same last week with Bobby Midden not booking Stevenson that was farcial.

Bear all

The hand ball for their equaliser was glaringly obvious well it should have been when he was so eagle eyed to everything else going on in the game, I can take getting beat especially when we have not been at our best like the other night but I cant take it when they where some many game changing decisions going against us that had an overwhelming outcome on the result. Kilmarnock should have never been back in the game yet another goal that shouldn't have stood also they should gave seen at least one red card ffs Burke got plaudits for his tackle,the match at the time was being managed out now thats probably our downfall instead of finishing teams off ,the Officials yet again where instrumental in getting Kilmarnock a win over us that in itself should be all you need to win matches knowingly your getting one over them sadly thats not been the case.

Bear all

I would like to hear from Beaton why he didn’t book Rory McKenzie for rugby tackling Tav,he was looking right at the incident.Why did he fail to produce a yellow card?
A small thing,but that is a stonewall booking in any game of football anywhere in the world,except when it is a Rangers player that is on the receiving end.
Also ask why Kent was booked for jumping back to his feet after being hauled down and grappled with by Power.
Same reason he didn't send off Dicker for diving.

PalefaceRedskin

I've taken my time to measure this offering, can be too easy to become over-emotional in the aftermath of a disappointment.

Remove the obvious need to question our game management, tactical shape and in-match changes etc (will cover this later) but for this thread I want to focus on the "choices" made by officials.

I will not go down the "cheat" route, as it's emotional and one size does not fit all, and I still do not believe that an official pre-meditates a bias pre-match.

However, I wish to introduce the concept of "Conscious failure" to apply the laws of the game.

In the case of John Beaton, a man so chastised and hounded after Rangers deserved to win a match, there is no doubt in my mind that "in the moment" he on several occasions consciously failed to apply the laws of the game, for fear of backlash.

You can almost see it in his body-language, when booking Morelos for diving, and completely ignoring Dicker doing the same earlier in the match. He was well aware that failure to apply the law of the game to Dicker would not result in any fall-out, but knew fine well the moon-howling that would arise if he did not take action against Morelos for the same crime.

The exact same can be said for the penalty claim and disallowed goal for identical pushes, Beaton was well aware of the exposure and fate that would behold him should he have awarded Rangers a late penalty at 1-1. (See Aberdeen away)

These have been "conscious and in the moment" decisions designed to take the path of least resistance, and are fatal in matches like last night and Aberdeen away. It's easy to say, "aye, but we shouldn't have to rely on officials making the rights calls, or we should be out of site etc.)

Football is a low-scoring Sport and marginal decisions are key in deciding the outcomes of matches. With the shite pitch, opposition strengths etc, Rangers are unlikely to win matches like last night 3 or 4-0, and ended up losing a match we scored first in to the only two shots Kilmarnock had on target.

As much as the stance taken by Gerard is extremely admirable, sporting and introspective, it will kill any future title hopes stone dead, as the marginals will always go against us. The manky mob are reaping their years of sowing grievances.

We will always pay the price for failing to call-out this "conscious incompetence" and it will only get worse.
Spot on. I love the manager but he needs his balls booted for consistently refusing to call this out. It surprises me and I do wonder if those in the club who favour the so-called dignified approach have told him that is the way he has to play it.

We have failings and don’t play at our best at times. That’s the case for every team. Why a failure to play at our best prevents us calling out decisions that are consistently costing us points is beyond me.

HandsomeHead

We lost primarily because once again we didn’t play very well. I think it’s important to acknowledge and accept that in order to give greater resonance to accusations of refereeing bias and inconsistency.

I appreciate Gerrard and the club can be hammered for openly criticising officials due to the racket the footballing authorities operate to protect themselves against it, but I was surprised we didn’t look to highlight Morelos’s perfectly good goal that would have probably won the game for us.

It’s not dramatic license to suggest Beaton’s decision to disallow it effectively ended our title challenge and I would have expected the club to have kicked up much more of a stink about it.

The fact we appear to have simply taken it lying down is actually nothing less than shocking.

therealmackay

So what you’re saying is, they’re cheats?

Conscious failure, fear, intimidation, bias - call it whatever the f*** you want to, it’s all the same. They’re incapable of doing their job impartially which is the very definition of what their job title is, therefore they should be sacked.