"Conscious" choices not to apply the game laws

I've just watched that YouTube video of Beaton last night.

Another shitebags performance from this cretin. Not quite at his "Hibs at Ibrox" level, but he's getting closer to eclipsing it .......
He has directly cost us 5 points in 2 months, that’s me being polite regarding his effort to officiate our games, had the mentally challengeds dropped that amount through 1 referee mad jhoe would be sending Maxwell a complaints list as long as war and peace

I'm more of the unconscious bias opinion in that referees have seen what happens to their counterparts should they give anything for Rangers that is later shown to be wrong. And this is now ingrained in referees in that they are protecting themselves from any such attack via an unconscious bias against Rangers.

Now people saying we should have beat Kilmarnock no matter the decisions made by the referee makes no sense to me.
In last nights game to use an example we had for me 2 valid goals and they had 1 but it is us that have lost the game 2-1. Are people honestly saying we need to score say an extra 3 goals to compensate for the referee awarding them a goal that shouldn't have stood & disallowing a valid goal???
Is this what it has come to?
I am almost in agreement with this. I would say though that it is not unconscious bias. I would say it is very much a conscious decision to enforce each and every rule to its maximum at all times to Rangers whilst at the other end leniancy for the opposition is guaranteed.

It comes as a shock when they do their job (Dicker booked for foul on 15 minutes) or we "get away with one" (Hamilton not getting pen last week). These are incidents which most of us would have been shocked at because they almost exclusively go the other way.

Also, I would like to point out it is not a new thing that has just started happening as we get closer to being where we should be. In every league we fought to get out of after that scandalous demotion there was a definite shift to this style of refereeing. It has been there since we lost our seat at the table and should have been addressed long, long ago. Unfortunately the club was being raped and pillaged by lowlifes who gave not one %^*& about the club and left such a mess that only now the club is starting to recover.

The fight has been on too many fronts to shut them all down at once. Not sure I agree with some being given precedence but understand why they were. I think this has been one which has been left to fester whilst trying to fix it amicably. The result of which is what happens when reasonable men try to find common ground with rabid, nasty bastards who will "nail their enemies to the floor". We are their enemy. They don't hide it.

In my opinion it is not unconscious bias that we are dealing with. It is systemic abuse of one club which has arisen because one club was given free reign to appoint their own men at every level and make sure we never got back to the top.

I've taken my time to measure this offering, can be too easy to become over-emotional in the aftermath of a disappointment.

Remove the obvious need to question our game management, tactical shape and in-match changes etc (will cover this later) but for this thread I want to focus on the "choices" made by officials.

I will not go down the "cheat" route, as it's emotional and one size does not fit all, and I still do not believe that an official pre-meditates a bias pre-match.

However, I wish to introduce the concept of "Conscious failure" to apply the laws of the game.

In the case of John Beaton, a man so chastised and hounded after Rangers deserved to win a match, there is no doubt in my mind that "in the moment" he on several occasions consciously failed to apply the laws of the game, for fear of backlash.

You can almost see it in his body-language, when booking Morelos for diving, and completely ignoring Dicker doing the same earlier in the match. He was well aware that failure to apply the law of the game to Dicker would not result in any fall-out, but knew fine well the moon-howling that would arise if he did not take action against Morelos for the same crime.

The exact same can be said for the penalty claim and disallowed goal for identical pushes, Beaton was well aware of the exposure and fate that would behold him should he have awarded Rangers a late penalty at 1-1. (See Aberdeen away)

These have been "conscious and in the moment" decisions designed to take the path of least resistance, and are fatal in matches like last night and Aberdeen away. It's easy to say, "aye, but we shouldn't have to rely on officials making the rights calls, or we should be out of site etc.)

Football is a low-scoring Sport and marginal decisions are key in deciding the outcomes of matches. With the shite pitch, opposition strengths etc, Rangers are unlikely to win matches like last night 3 or 4-0, and ended up losing a match we scored first in to the only two shots Kilmarnock had on target.

As much as the stance taken by Gerard is extremely admirable, sporting and introspective, it will kill any future title hopes stone dead, as the marginals will always go against us. The manky mob are reaping their years of sowing grievances.

We will always pay the price for failing to call-out this "conscious incompetence" and it will only get worse.
Absolutely bang on the money.

I've taken my time to measure this offering, can be too easy to become over-emotional in the aftermath of a disappointment.

Remove the obvious need to question our game management, tactical shape and in-match changes etc (will cover this later) but for this thread I want to focus on the "choices" made by officials.

I will not go down the "cheat" route, as it's emotional and one size does not fit all, and I still do not believe that an official pre-meditates a bias pre-match.

However, I wish to introduce the concept of "Conscious failure" to apply the laws of the game.

In the case of John Beaton, a man so chastised and hounded after Rangers deserved to win a match, there is no doubt in my mind that "in the moment" he on several occasions consciously failed to apply the laws of the game, for fear of backlash.

You can almost see it in his body-language, when booking Morelos for diving, and completely ignoring Dicker doing the same earlier in the match. He was well aware that failure to apply the law of the game to Dicker would not result in any fall-out, but knew fine well the moon-howling that would arise if he did not take action against Morelos for the same crime.

The exact same can be said for the penalty claim and disallowed goal for identical pushes, Beaton was well aware of the exposure and fate that would behold him should he have awarded Rangers a late penalty at 1-1. (See Aberdeen away)

These have been "conscious and in the moment" decisions designed to take the path of least resistance, and are fatal in matches like last night and Aberdeen away. It's easy to say, "aye, but we shouldn't have to rely on officials making the rights calls, or we should be out of site etc.)

Football is a low-scoring Sport and marginal decisions are key in deciding the outcomes of matches. With the shite pitch, opposition strengths etc, Rangers are unlikely to win matches like last night 3 or 4-0, and ended up losing a match we scored first in to the only two shots Kilmarnock had on target.

As much as the stance taken by Gerard is extremely admirable, sporting and introspective, it will kill any future title hopes stone dead, as the marginals will always go against us. The manky mob are reaping their years of sowing grievances.

We will always pay the price for failing to call-out this "conscious incompetence" and it will only get worse.
Beaton will spend the rest of his career trying to make up for his supposed bias on 29/12/18.

If they can’t apply the rules of the game with consistency for fear of backlash they shouldn’t be in that position
If they don't they won't ever be in that position. Look at the difference between Beaton and Clancy in the games we won. Beaton got his back in line demotion. Clancy got a well played son.

I would like to hear from Beaton why he didn’t book Rory McKenzie for rugby tackling Tav,he was looking right at the incident.Why did he fail to produce a yellow card?
A small thing,but that is a stonewall booking in any game of football anywhere in the world,except when it is a Rangers player that is on the receiving end.
Also ask why Kent was booked for jumping back to his feet after being hauled down and grappled with by Power.
And that was to stop a break we may have had. Beaton, I would guess, would say it's late in the game and therefore let it go. Like McKenzie kicking the ball away twice at a corner to waste time then trying to stop a Rangers throw in like a basketball player blocks a shot. Just too late in the game. But not the 96th minute.
On the Power thing, he is all over Kent, Kent tries to get up and Power fouls him again. The result was a booking for each player although one player did absolutely nothing. That kills Kent's aggression for the rest of the game. Job done.

Why would he have wanted to change shape or tactics after this game?
Those tactics that got us to touching distance in the first place?
Not talking about shape or tactics pal , was talking about coming out and ridiculing referees and the way our club and Alfredo are refereed a different way to anybody else

People are reading too much into this. Refs get about £500 per game x 40 games a season. Don't care what they do for a living but that's a fair chunk of your household income. Decision against celtic or for us puts that in jeopardy from the poet controlled press.
They know what they are doing. "Conscious choice" is a good term for it.

If those decisions had went against the Tim's then they'd have screaming from rooftops and hounding Beaton until he was sacked or resigned. We're our own worst enemies at times.

Do you want our club to behave like they morons across the city, i don't think so.??

Do you want our club to behave like they morons across the city, i don't think so.??
There was a time not so long ago when I, as I think most Bears would say, would agree with you. However, the Corinthian type spirit days are gone and they no longer serve us well. Unfortunately Silence is Consent and our silence is allowing referees to keep themselves safe by cheating us (failure to apply the Laws of the Game equally, impartially and consistently is cheating).

An earlier contributor used the analogy of the school nerd being abused by the school bully. I would use a school analogy also but I would say we are like the child who the school bully takes his dinner money off. So long as the child doesn’t report or speak out about it it will (as with any abuse) continue time after time with impunity.

Although the analogy is kinda twee it sums up where we are. We don’t need to behave like them but we absolutely need to be speaking out loudly about it and implementing steps to highlight the cheating.

The Dicker dive should’ve seen him get a 2nd yellow and off the park and therefore a totally different game. doesn’t excuse our dismal 2nd half showing but Morelos booked and Dicker not is confusing at best

I would like to hear from Beaton why he didn’t book Rory McKenzie for rugby tackling Tav,he was looking right at the incident.Why did he fail to produce a yellow card?
A small thing,but that is a stonewall booking in any game of football anywhere in the world,except when it is a Rangers player that is on the receiving end.
Also ask why Kent was booked for jumping back to his feet after being hauled down and grappled with by Power.

in extra time when we had a throw in, the same player stood in front of Tav and attempted to stop the throw in with his hands, for me that’s a booking.

On the Kent one, my missus even said, why’s he just booked the rangers player there, he had someone purposely put all his weight on him to stop him getting up and then got thrown to the ground yet got booked

Where Beaton was standing he can apparently see a 'push' at our (should've been) winning goal even though his view is obscured by three players, whistle out,no hesitation. Disallowed.
Yet at Pittodrie from at clear view and three yards away he can't see Alfie was inside the area when fouled ? Let's call it what it is, cheating.

The referees in this country have been compromised. And that has come from one particular club that caused a referees strike because they felt they weren't getting any decisions.
I would now prefer to see Rangers players surround the referee when there has been a bad decision made against us and put pressure on him. We don't. We're too nice and accept it too easily.

Well said OP, but it’s still cheating to knowingly apply different standards to different teams, refereeing wise.

Best post i've seen on last night. Wholeheartedly agree.
Yup. This is how I see it when trying to analyze it objectively. It's not quite cheating bit failure to apply the laws of the game consistently.

I am still trying to fathom how Stevenson did not see a card for the Alfie full Nelson and smackdown.

The laws were not applied consistently last night either. It is conscious decisions driving these 'errors'.

Before Kent got up to his feet after being assaulted and wrestled to the ground I knew he was getting a yellow card. What for ? I have absolutely no idea.

by the same player who karate kicked Ryan Jack, the referee let it go without a red card and the disciplinary panel deemed it unworthy of any further action :

Straight leg tackle to the forehead

Apologies I don’t know how to post pictures

Last edited:
Another thing that bothers me is that even at times when decisions have been right, you’ll find someone who has a problem with it.
And then there are instances like the fact we should have had a stonewall penalty when Aribo near had the shirt ripped off his neck v the tims, and yet many tims were complaining that the last touch for the corner given came off a Rangers player. Yes..... some of them believe Clancy cheated them that day.

Good post, but no need to reinvent the wheel - what you describe is cheating. It’s immaterial why he is doing it, or how he arrived there. The end result is the same.

Aye got to help the poor poets, their only a million points ahead, couldn’t possibly give Rangers one poxy decision.

Aye got to help the poor poets, their only a million points ahead, couldn’t possibly give Rangers one poxy decision.

We don’t need anydecision given to ip us.

Adjudicate marches faintly and the league would currently be ours to lose.

And we’d have won the League Cypuo - which would have been a psychological Hammer blow to that of a mob

Its been said on here numerous times. Refs know that any contentious decisions against Celtic will result in the media attacking and criticising them for weeks. Likewise any such decisions going in our favour will lead to a similar outcome.

I dont believe refs set out to cheat but they are only human and subject to pressure. Public opinion is shaped by what people read and hear in the media. The press and media are allowed to attack us day after day after day and that's the reason refs are intimidated and scared to be seen to give decisions in our favour.

Ive been arguing for years on here that we need to employ a professional researcher to gather evidence of the bias, double standards and lies by the MSM, footballing authorities, politicians and others. Produce academic standard reports and name and shame both the bigots and the cowards.

Issuing amateur statements every now and then with no facts and figures to back up the claims just gives our enemies more material to attack and ridicule us.

Stewart Robertson might be a good adiminstrator but that's not what we need to fight this battle.
This.
It alone would reap more benefits to the club than spending money on another player.

I have seen one referee all season whip his cards out from the first minute for clear and obvious bookings in a game involving us. Nick Walsh at Easter Road. Is it any coincidence this was probably our best controlled performance of the season domestically?

Before Kent got up to his feet after being assaulted and wrestled to the ground I knew he was getting a yellow card. What for ? I have absolutely no idea.

why is it opposition players always fall on top of ours? there was no need for power to do that but it happens all the time especially to morelos.

OP is bang on and I agree with every word. When Dicker throws himself to the ground, and the way he goes down there is simply one of two decisions to make.
  1. Penalty - There was a push/trip/pull which made him fall so dramatically to the ground inside the box. Decision: Penalty to Kilmarnock.
  2. No Penalty - Dicker has thrown himself dramatically to the ground in the box in an attempt to con the referee into giving the penalty. Decision: Simulation, free kick to Rangers, second yellow card to Dicker - sent off.
The way he went down wasn't the result of a "coming together", it was intended simulation, and how Beaton cannot see that is beyond me. If he doesn't give the penalty he has got to book him for diving.

Later in the game, Alfie's was a dive, but no difference from Dickers, no difference at all apart from Beaton's response.

I"m just surprised that he didn't give Alfie a 2nd yellow when he was pushed to the ground by the two hands of the defender.
Exactly - this is the most baffling of all the incidents. It’s about time refs were made to explain their decisions after game is over.

Nothing will change until a delegate from Rangers with compiled unequivocal evidence in hand , flanked by legal representatives , sit down with the powers that be and demand change

Was the same last week with Bobby Midden not booking Stevenson that was farcial.

The hand ball for their equaliser was glaringly obvious well it should have been when he was so eagle eyed to everything else going on in the game, I can take getting beat especially when we have not been at our best like the other night but I cant take it when they where some many game changing decisions going against us that had an overwhelming outcome on the result. Kilmarnock should have never been back in the game yet another goal that shouldn't have stood also they should gave seen at least one red card ffs Burke got plaudits for his tackle,the match at the time was being managed out now thats probably our downfall instead of finishing teams off ,the Officials yet again where instrumental in getting Kilmarnock a win over us that in itself should be all you need to win matches knowingly your getting one over them sadly thats not been the case.

Same reason he didn't send off Dicker for diving.

Spot on. I love the manager but he needs his balls booted for consistently refusing to call this out. It surprises me and I do wonder if those in the club who favour the so-called dignified approach have told him that is the way he has to play it.

We have failings and don’t play at our best at times. That’s the case for every team. Why a failure to play at our best prevents us calling out decisions that are consistently costing us points is beyond me.

We lost primarily because once again we didn’t play very well. I think it’s important to acknowledge and accept that in order to give greater resonance to accusations of refereeing bias and inconsistency.

I appreciate Gerrard and the club can be hammered for openly criticising officials due to the racket the footballing authorities operate to protect themselves against it, but I was surprised we didn’t look to highlight Morelos’s perfectly good goal that would have probably won the game for us.

It’s not dramatic license to suggest Beaton’s decision to disallow it effectively ended our title challenge and I would have expected the club to have kicked up much more of a stink about it.

The fact we appear to have simply taken it lying down is actually nothing less than shocking.

So what you’re saying is, they’re cheats?

Conscious failure, fear, intimidation, bias - call it whatever the f*** you want to, it’s all the same. They’re incapable of doing their job impartially which is the very definition of what their job title is, therefore they should be sacked.

Back