Controversial football opinions

club175

Official Ticketer
Following on from the controversial rangers opinions, what are your controversial general football opinions.

I have 2 main ones

1. Zidanes champions league final goal was brilliant but not deserving of the gushing 20 years on. Bales one in the champions league final a few years back was far better.

2. Carlos Alberto goal in 1970 was average at best. It was done at walking pace and there was absolutely zero press from opposition player. Decent goal but nowhere near as good as made out.

You shouldn’t be eligible to play for more than one country. John Souttar playing for Scotland and his brother playing for Australia is f*cking mortifying
Totally agree. The whole concept of dual nationality is just folk trying to have the best of both worlds. You know where your home is. Could get around this by getting footballers to declare their nationality (within current rules) when they sign their pro papers at age 18 and there is no changing your mind thereafter.

Following on from the controversial rangers opinions, what are your controversial general football opinions.

I have 2 main ones

1. Zidanes champions league final goal was brilliant but not deserving of the gushing 20 years on. Bales one in the champions league final a few years back was far better.

2. Carlos Alberto goal in 1970 was average at best. It was done at walking pace and there was absolutely zero press from opposition player. Decent goal but nowhere near as good as made out.
Totally agree with point 1.

I have next to no appreciation for the Makelele role, much preferred players who could just play in a 4-4-2 and both attack and defend

I get the role and understand it I just find it shite
I miss the days of British teams playing a British style... including a big ugly 4-4-2.

Yes I know that makes me a football dinosaur!

You shouldn’t be eligible to play for more than one country. John Souttar playing for Scotland and his brother playing for Australia is f*cking mortifying
I think it should be limited to the country of your birth and your parents countries of birth. Beyond that you shouldn't be able to attain a nationality just by living somewhere for part of your childhood.

For all that he is an excellent manager who has achieved a lot of success, Pep Guardiolas teams are robotic and over coached. There’s a few other teams who are similar but Peps stand out a bit more.

Tiki Taka is quite often simply death by possession and boring to watch

The English Premier needs a strong Manchester United

Scottish football is better than it’s given credit for.

It's come on massively since the early 2000s. Teams in general are far better coached now than they've ever been. The wee sides have found a way to level the playing field by being very well coached and better drilled. It can be a bit samey at times but a big part of that is due to the regularity we play the same teams in a season.

Football 'back in the day' was garbage.

Watch footage of the 1958 World Cup Final on YouTube and you'll laugh at the standard. The players are literally walking about and look worse than Sunday league players.

Even in the 70s when the Cruyff turn was 'invented'. It's the most simple skill in football that 3 year olds can do.

Back