Controversial opinions you got right and wrong

ClockworkOrange

Controversial's maybe the wrong word but what unconventional or committed attitude did you have about something that turned out to be entirely right or wrong?

I thought Davie Weir was an over-the-hill, tired veteran looking for one last payday and that'd he'd be gone by the end of his first season. Whoops.

With the talk of Leeds blowing their chances of promotion, I'm reminded of Hibs' Championship playoff against Falkirk in 2016. I was desperate for them to win as the final against Killie was after the Scottish Cup final and there's no way they'd have committed as much to winning the cup if there was a chance they'd still go up. Took pelters from family and mates at the time. Still think there's no way they'd have won if Falkirk hadn't have scored right at the death.

Messi lauded playing for Barcelona as a kid at anfield I think it was. Everytime he got the ball he tried to dribble past bigger and stronger players who just swatted him away like a fly. I called it early but said he was over rated and shite.

A lesser man would fold under the over whelming evidence to the contrary but being a stubborn fucker I stand by it. Messi. Overrated.

Remember thinking around the time of seven or eight in a row that Celtic would never catch us. Their team was rotten and they needed to develop their stadium.

I dismissed Ronaldo at Man Utd, constant show boating with no end product.

Was sure Paul le guen was going to transform us !

On a brighter note always thought novo would be a great signing when he was at Dundee .
I tried to convince myself pedro would also.

Looking back at it his credentials should have offered no comfort to any Bear.

Most recent have been

Right - I was convinced Halliday would have a place with us and could be a valuable player for us even after leaving on loan

Wrong - on the other side the exact same as above but with Pena haha

Last edited:
Was sure Paul le guen was going to transform us !

Think we all did.

I remember saying to someone he'd probably bring in a lot of athletic black players to try and reproduce what he'd done at Lyon.

He brought in a lot of unathletic white players and it was downhill from there.

I was 100% right when I said Kevin Muscat was a fucking bellend who should have been nowhere near our great club.

Substitute Barton for Muscat and that’s me. Tried to give him the benefit of the doubt but could see it coming a mile away.

In terms of getting one wrong, I genuinely thought there were players there in both Hyndman and Windass. Time to put my hand up on both of those.

Still think we should have kept McKay but concede I’m flying in the face of most folks view on that one.

Right -
Said when we sold Charlie Adam for peanuts that he would be playing in the Premier League and for Scotland in 18 months time (as a CM)

Wrong -
Got way too excited about both Jamie Ness and Danny Wilson. Reckon Ness could have lived up to it if it wasn't for injury, but definitely got carried away with Wilson. I was convinced he'd be our version of Maldini.

Essentially if you are left footed and vaguely able to ping a pass, I'm pretty much in love.

Craig Whyte seemed very dodgy quite quickly people might forget that wasn't a popular conclusion.

Charles Green as much as I thought the share issue was greedy I didn't think we'd get hit by lightning twice-many more people were doubting him than Whyte. Turned out to be another type of snake.

Rangers related -

As I'm sure many did, I wanked myself into a stupor at the thought of what Paul Le Guen was going to do to our team. What a waste.

I didn't want Kris Boyd anywhere near us the 2nd time. His career had been mediocre at best since leaving us. Wasn't expecting him to be as big a shambles as he was mind you.

Non-Rangers related -

About 10 minutes before he flicked the ball up, swivelled on the spot and volleyed into the top corner against Man Utd I declared Thierry Henry was 'Massively overrated and a bit shite.'

I saw a wiry 16 year old training with Ajax first team, was blown away and told anyone who would listen that he was going to the top of the game. It was Van Der Vaart. His peak didn't last long enough though.

Wrong
Duncan Ferguson signing was the player we needed to win us the European Cup

Right
After seeing him for 5 minutes, Bert Konterman was a disaster of a centre half

I made a very early leap to believing that Murray would ruin us. Years of misery, arguments, physical abuse, etc but was sadly spot on.

I was wrong about Warburton who was IMHO going to be a genius.

Lot of people talking about Warburton - probably the biggest one I've gone wrong for a while.

I thought he'd leave us for Spurs or England. I genuinely couldn't believe he was managing us.

Turned out he was a massive charlatan whose lack of experience was quickly found out.

I had Pedro sussed very quickly. There were several warning signs early doors with tactics, the way he treated some players etc that led to me being pretty vocal with the view that we should get rid of him before the start of the next season. I was absolutely convinced he was a clown. Wasn't a popular opinion on here either at the time either.

Had loads of players wrong over the years but must admit I was unsure about McGregor returning. I just wasn't convinced he was going to be the same level as before. Clearly very wrong.

I always think there is a player in Grezda. However lets hope that doesnt turn out to be wrong as well

Think we all did.

I remember saying to someone he'd probably bring in a lot of athletic black players to try and reproduce what he'd done at Lyon.

He brought in a lot of unathletic white players and it was downhill from there.
Yeah you’re right . Older generation didn’t take to him as much if my dads anything to go by .I managed to convince him !

PLG had two main problems-he arrived here when we didn't have the financial clout to support him.

He really didn't like it much-I don't think you can ever factor that in he just never seemed to like or care for Scottish football.

Thought stephane guivarch was the second coming of Christ (said his name often enough after that when he played!)

Told my dad albertzs freekick v the tims was going in when we sat in the club deck. He laughed. The silence between jorg striking it and hitting the net seemed to last forever

Herrera would be a good number nine whereas Morelos was an expensive punt in the dark at £1m who wouldn't get much game time.
Don't know if it was controversial or not but had a strong feeling in the days leading up to and on the day we won the league at Kilmarnock in 2011 that we should really enjoy it because uncertain times were ahead. Little did I know how bloody long!

Got slaughtered for saying we should sign Davie Weir when he was at Falkirk.
Thought at the time Sone Aluko was a terrible signing.
One right, one completely wrong!

When I was younger and Arsenal signed José Antonio Reyes, thinking he was going to be the next big star in football. Even had his name and number on the back of one my strips. :rolleyes::D

I got laughed at roundly for saying we should get Kamara.

I will let you all laugh at me roundly for watching the obliterations we were handing out under Warburton at the start and thinking we're winning everything in Scotland for years under him.

Remember thinking around the time of seven or eight in a row that Celtic would never catch us. Their team was rotten and they needed to develop their stadium.

I dismissed Ronaldo at Man Utd, constant show boating with no end product.

To be fair, even when Timmy did catch us it was only by the skin of their teeth. We could and should have still won 10IAR. Still irks me, probably always will.

Ronaldo was quality at Man Utd but became a much better player at Real Madrid.

I had a conversation with someone at Ibrox, very senior position.
Warburton's had been there 3 months, he asked me what I thought of him, I said he was a 5 a side manager, great going forward but we would be found out in the top league.
I actually think he was a decent manager, but not at us.

Another one I got right, ordered double booze for our two Louden's for Helicopter Sunday....Just in case;)

Josh Windass was utter crap,Our Andy was a
managers dream,to name a couple.
Still waiting for my first prediction being wrong.;)

Not sure if its controversial but had stand up rows with boys in my supporters club last season who were saying morelos was a dud and we should just punt him to the first buyer. Was convinced he was going to be our main man this season and hit 30 this season (may just miss out on that one) there are still a couple who dont like him and want rid. I'll say it now if he stays he will hit 40 next season

Told all ma mates and anyone who would listen that nuno capucho was world class as I’d seen highlights of him every week on eurogoals! Was absolutely hopeless

Le Guen for me, probably clouded because I'd bet him at huge odds to be the next manager thanks to a lad that drank in the Grapes.

I got Whyte and Green 100% though, despised both from the off.

I will never forget as a young boy (16ish) seeing Barry Ferguson play under Walter for one of his first games. I said straight after the game he was going to be a brilliant player. My mate and his dad absolutely ripped me apart saying he would be in the lower leagues in a year or two. They pretended to never remember that conversation :rolleyes:

I used to 'dislike' a certain Liverpool legend and had long running arguments with mates about how much better Lampard and Scholes were. I've changed my tune a bit since around 4th May last year :oops:

I remember defending Whyte to some septic fans in my football team, them saying something didn't seem right. Still hate that to this day for obvious reasons. Never again.

Not really had to defend anything too controversial! Although I'm hoping barisic will come on to be as good as I think he is.

Back