Controversial Rangers opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
"So Dick, four goals for Michael - you must be happy?

No, he should have scored 8" :))

Mate, he received a petition from thousands of Utrecht fans begging him to sign for us and not Ajax.

All of us asked how the hell this guy got to nearly 29 and only had us, Ajax and Sheffield Wednesday chasing him(Wednesday ended up signing Advocaat favourite from PSV Gilles de Bilde instead)

But fúck me man, what a player he was.

Tugay's time at Rangers is massively overrated and he's only looked on fondly because he was good at Blackburn.

For us, he was very underwhelming for a guy of his ability.
Winner. That’s definitely controversial. I actually think the opposite but each to their own. Fantastic player imo

At the time though he’d probably trebled his wages, would he have got the same elsewhere at that point? I’m unsure

Don’t think many championship teams in England would’ve bought him in 2012
The fact he played right through the lower leagues, then in a dreadful Rangers team, and still got a move to England after his injuries shows that he could have got a move.

It’s kinda related to my point before. At the time everyone was delighted with those that stayed, but now they rewrite history to have a go at players for no real reason.

People are in their element criticising, it’s more of a strange Scottish outlook than anything.

The years have played tricks with people’s minds and Mols and Durrant would never have been ‘world class’ post injury.

Players get injured all the time and recover. They were great players, but if they didn’t get injured they would have still been the same player and at the same level.

Don’t shoot me :)

I'm not anti royalty, and believe it is better than the idea of president fucking Blair/Cameron/Boris etc, but I find the Queen/royalist stuff pretty disingenuous and something we still do because it's in opposition to celtc fans. I just can't understand why any working class person can really, genuinely give a shit about the royals.

We have massively underachieved in Europe. Big teams haven't won the EC/CL, but most have at least contested a final. We were denied that destiny in 92/93. Looking through all the campaigns, we seemed to have no luck with the draw (cups are 50% luck imo) but it's a stage we should have contested at some point when we were stronger and the game more even. One CWC is not a good enough return for what we are, especially when comparing ourselves to clubs of similar or even lesser standing.

Candeias was fucking shite, the fact there were worse players at the time does not make him good.
Ok apart from the candy-ass bit.

We have been utter shite in Europe for 30 years save the odd blip and I hope that we continue along the path gerrard has developed for us.

The fact he played right through the lower leagues, then in a dreadful Rangers team, and still got a move to England after his injuries shows that he could have got a move.

It’s kinda related to my point before. At the time everyone was delighted with those that stayed, but now they rewrite history to have a go at players for no real reason.

People are in their element criticising, it’s more of a strange Scottish outlook than anything though.
No, I love McCulloch, Alexander and Wallace for staying. Genuinely don’t think our progression would’ve been as seamless without them

However does that warrant hall of fame status? I don’t believe so personally

People are in their element criticising, it’s more of a strange Scottish outlook than anything though.
I find the criticism of Jig particularly harsh, guy that was a valuable member of successful Rangers sides and true bluenose.

Scholes, Keane, Veron
Vieira, Gilberto
Gerrard, Hamann
Lampard, Petit

Ferguson 2002/03 doesn't get near those midfields.
Jody Morris played 30 games for Chelsea in 02/03, Lampard took a huge leap as a player under Jose, Ferguson was better than him then

Diao, Cheyrou and Murphy about 90 games between them for Liverpool, Ferguson would have played before either or Diao with Gerrard used wide

He would have comfortably got near both

Last edited:
The years have played tricks with people’s minds and Mols and Durrant would never have been ‘world class’ post injury.

Players get injured all the time and recover. They were great players, but if they didn’t get injured they would have still been the same player and at the same level.

@SDF The floor is yours ;)

Coopers death elevated his legendary status also.

Great on his day, but he was absolutely nowhere near the level of player he’s spoken about. Some putting him above Gazza and Laudrup is insanity.

I reckon Durrant had every chance but not Mols.
He was something like 28 when he signed.

No, I love McCulloch, Alexander and Wallace for staying. Genuinely don’t think our progression would’ve been as seamless without them

However does that warrant hall of fame status? I don’t believe so personally

Aw I agree with the HOF thing, apologies.

But there’s been plenty threads on here slaughtering both of them and staying has now turned in to a stick to beat them with.

I find the criticism of Jig particularly harsh, guy that was a valuable member of successful Rangers sides and true bluenose.
That’s pushing it :D

He was the weak link every time he was shoehorned into DM. He was an average player that gave his all, he’s remembered for his time in lower leagues which says it all

@SDF The floor is yours ;)

Disagree on both but Durrant especially. Mols was nearly 29 when he was injured.

Durrant was 21 and in the form of his life when Simpson butchered him. Ha already added goals to his game and he was getting better and better with each passing month. Another 18 months and he'd have played at Italia 90.

Said it before, Durrant could've had the Serie A career David Platt had.

That’s pushing it :D

He was the weak link every time he was shoehorned into DM. He was an average player that gave his all, he’s remembered for his time in lower leagues which says it all
I remember him as one of Walter's trusted lieutants, who would play anywhere for the team. Might not have had the technical ability of Davis or Mendes, but a valuable player in the squad :))

I'm not anti royalty, and believe it is better than the idea of president fucking Blair/Cameron/Boris etc, but I find the Queen/royalist stuff pretty disingenuous and something we still do because it's in opposition to celtc fans. I just can't understand why any working class person can really, genuinely give a shit about the royals.

We have massively underachieved in Europe. Big teams haven't won the EC/CL, but most have at least contested a final. We were denied that destiny in 92/93. Looking through all the campaigns, we seemed to have no luck with the draw (cups are 50% luck imo) but it's a stage we should have contested at some point when we were stronger and the game more even. One CWC is not a good enough return for what we are, especially when comparing ourselves to clubs of similar or even lesser standing.

Candeias was fucking shite, the fact there were worse players at the time does not make him good.
Captain contradiction

I remember him as one of Walter's trusted lieutants, who would play anywhere for the team. Might not have had the technical ability of Davis or Mendes, but a valuable player in the squad :))
Am I right in saying you’d be about 10 when he played? Would explain things

1. I agree with the post above that the view of Durrant's potential has been exaggerated due to his tragic injury. Could have been a great player, absolutely, but he's often referred to in the Gazza class; I don't think he would ever have reached that level.

2. I don't think Arthur Numan was that great for us. Really liked him as a player for Holland and liked him as a guy but I mainly think of his stint with us as being injury-plagued and I never felt we got the best of him.

Balogun is a genuinely bad left CB.

Namouchi played a distinct, unglamorous role in 04/05 but was utterly crucial in overthrowing that lot.

Richard Gough isn’t some sort of standard bearer of sporting captaincy and was out his depth in Europe.

Aaron Nemane is the worst ever Ranger.

Here’s one that I will get shouted at for

29 year old Michael Mols played an excellent first 19 games for Rangers, scoring 13 goals and tearing defences to shreds.

His next 127 games where he scored 33 goals he was never at the same level, not his fault and we all know it was because of that injury - but he wasn’t the same player.

I’m not sure how valid it is, to say he was as good as......

Purely because it was such a short period of time, by all means it’s fine to say “for those 19 games he was incredible” but....

It may seem pedantic, but it has always bothered me. One may call it romanticism.
He was sensational. Rangers career ruined in a nothing incident with Khan.

I still think even though we never got a result in Munich that night it’s one of the best Rangers performances I’ve ever seen.

I still think even though we never got a result in Munich that night it’s one of the best Rangers performances I’ve ever seen.
The save Khan makes from Wallace is the best I've seen.

Best striker I can remember playing for rangers in my lifetime (late 20s)

I’d honestly pick Mols as the striker every single time if asked about the best 11 in my lifetime

The injury Durrant got was a career ending one at the time mate. That’s not the case these days thankfully. Without a shadow of doubt he would have been one of the best attacking midfielders in Britain at that time.

Balogun is a genuinely bad left CB.

Namouchi played a distinct, unglamorous role in 04/05 but was utterly crucial in overthrowing that lot.

Richard Gough isn’t some sort of standard bearer of sporting captaincy and was out his depth in Europe.

Aaron Nemane is the worst ever Ranger.
I'd agree with the middle two.
A good few from the 3rd division were worse than Nemane imo.

Derek Johnstone was finished at 25
Derek was famous in Renfrew for drinking vodka in the Ferry inn. I worked in the Normandy Hotel Disco and he sat regularly at the bar. If I remember it was a half pint of lager and Vodka and fresh orange juice.

The injury Durrant got was a career ending one at the time mate. That’s not the case these days thankfully. Without a shadow of doubt he would have been one of the best attacking midfielders in Britain at that time.
100% True.

Paul Lake of Manchester City got a similar one in 1990 and never ever recovered from it.

He actually did his rehab at Lilleshall with Durrant, who helped him through his rehab.

Derek was famous in Renfrew for drinking vodka in the Ferry inn. I worked in the Normandy Hotel Disco and he sat regularly at the bar. If I remember it was a half pint of lager and Vodka and fresh orange juice.
For some reason I thought it was the black bull he drank in.

Anyway, I can't remember which season it was, but there was a pre-season he was awol.

Had gone to London and just never returned for pre-season, think he had met a girlfriend or something down there, just spending his time in the pubs. Sitting at the bar one day, hears the door open and a booming voice asking for a whiskey from the bar.

Wallace had somehow tracked him to London, and eventually got him back to Scotland.

Probably says a bit about his professionalism in those days, ridiculous when you think of what he could have achieved.

Coopers death elevated his legendary status also.

Great on his day, but he was absolutely nowhere near the level of player he’s spoken about. Some putting him above Gazza and Laudrup is insanity.
I grew up with DC as my Rangers hero and was devastated at his death.

But.......you are spot on.

God rest his soul, but Fernando Ricksen wasn't a good player for us.
He was here for six seasons.

2000-01 He started poorly but became pretty solid.

2001-02 Had a decent season at Right Back and Midfield.

2002-03 Was a crucial part of the midfield and bettered only by De Boer and Ferguson in my eyes.

2003-04 Well that was just a write off for everyone but he suffered a really bad head injury against Man United and was out for a while.

2004-05 Magnificent.

2005-06 Not so great.

In closing, he was a good player for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back