Controversial Rangers opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. I agree with the post above that the view of Durrant's potential has been exaggerated due to his tragic injury. Could have been a great player, absolutely, but he's often referred to in the Gazza class; I don't think he would ever have reached that level.

2. I don't think Arthur Numan was that great for us. Really liked him as a player for Holland and liked him as a guy but I mainly think of his stint with us as being injury-plagued and I never felt we got the best of him.
Harsh on Durrant. Gazza played for Spurs, Lazio and then came to Scotland, Gazza class is often spoken of as though it’s the absolute top tier, but his career says otherwise.

I grew up with DC as my Rangers hero and was devastated at his death.

But.......you are spot on.

Cooper was amazing but have to agree, Gazza was probably (along with Best) one of if not the finest player Great Britain has ever produced. John Charles is up there too.

God rest his soul, but Fernando Ricksen wasn't a good player for us.
He was brilliant in the 04/05 season in centre mid. I’d go as far to say that had we not put him into centre mid, we wouldn’t have won 51 that season

Balogun is a genuinely bad left CB.

Namouchi played a distinct, unglamorous role in 04/05 but was utterly crucial in overthrowing that lot.

Richard Gough isn’t some sort of standard bearer of sporting captaincy and was out his depth in Europe.

Aaron Nemane is the worst ever Ranger.
Definitely a worthy standard bearer for the Rangers captaincy though. And in my life time I’d struggle to name Rangers players who weren’t out of their depth in the CL because they’d be so few.

God rest his soul, but Fernando Ricksen wasn't a good player for us.
He had one good season. Although to his credit he did well to turn things round, cos his first few months were disastrous and lesser characters would have crumbled.

Best striker I can remember playing for rangers in my lifetime (late 20s)

I’d honestly pick Mols as the striker every single time if asked about the best 11 in my lifetime
Mols remains the most naturally talented Rangers player I've properly seen. I was born the end of 89 and only recall snippets of Gazza (8 iar and Steua Bucharest) and less of the Great Dane. But Mols debut in Finland is fresh in my memory even today. As are the four against Motherwell and the twists and turns against Celtic, PSV and Bayern. If he had remained fit he could have outshone all of them.

Harsh on Durrant. Gazza played for Spurs, Lazio and then came to Scotland, Gazza class is often spoken of as though it’s the absolute top tier, but his career says otherwise.
Gazza played during a period when talent was more widely distributed and most teams had 1 or 2 marquee players.

If he was coming through now he'd be straight to Man City probably.

Another controversial opinion

People only campaigned for Celtics allocation to be reduced because they were embarrassing us on the park and some of our fans couldn’t accept those rats lording it over us

If they hadn’t embarrassed us on the pitch for a few seasons, and had we had a good team, the allocation cut would’ve never happened

It’s ruined what made the derby unique and completely sanitised it. Rangers Celtic games are utter pish now and I don’t really enjoy them at Ibrox or Parkhead, though I absolutely will cry if I don’t get one (doubtful though)
Oh I dont know, hanging effigies constant Ira songs and the hatred levels towards us at a level I had not seen before, I think this was nothing to do with football on the park and everything to do with their fan behaviour and I think it was right decision!

Davie Robertson was a better left back than Arthur Numan.

Walter's refusal to rotate the squad cost us in the 2007/08 season.

Warburton would have got us closer to Celtic if he'd been given the money Pedro got.

Gazza played during a period when talent was more widely distributed and most teams had 1 or 2 marquee players.

If back then was like now then Liverpool would buy him and stockpile him for a couple of years.

In 1988 he knocked back a team that finished 2nd to join a team that finished 13th.

I mean Jack Grealish has ended up at City so I can’t really say that wouldn’t be true. But I do think for the way he’s often spoken about you’d expect that his CV would have read Milan or Juve as opposed to Spurs, Lazio etc. Most of it was born out of Italia 90. Absolute class player and love him to bits but the highest tier of player doesn’t have those clubs as the best of his CV.

1. I agree with the post above that the view of Durrant's potential has been exaggerated due to his tragic injury. Could have been a great player, absolutely, but he's often referred to in the Gazza class; I don't think he would ever have reached that level.

2. I don't think Arthur Numan was that great for us. Really liked him as a player for Holland and liked him as a guy but I mainly think of his stint with us as being injury-plagued and I never felt we got the best of him.
I agree with point 2. He came with a reputation as being one of the best left backs in the world and he was only good, never great.

Here’s mine…

Kevin Thomson’s ‘banter’ on social media is enough to convince me that he’ll never be mature enough to be a Rangers manager. I think a lot of people are thinking he’s serving some sort of managerial apprenticeship, and I don’t think he’s got the right mentality.

Oh I dont know, hanging effigies constant Ira songs and the hatred levels towards us at a level I had not seen before, I think this was nothing to do with football on the park and everything to do with their fan behaviour and I think it was right decision!
It’s very much mutual and it’s what makes our derby unique

That happened for decades before yet the campaign, rather conveniently, only started when we were utter dog shit on the pitch and our fans had the pish ripped out of us

The years have played tricks with people’s minds and Mols and Durrant would never have been ‘world class’ post injury.
Players get injured all the time and recover. They were great players, but if they didn’t get injured they would have still been the same player and at the same level.

Don’t shoot me :)
I seen Durrant from his break through at Rangers and he had future super star written all over him.his first full old firm debut at Ibrox in 1985 he and Derek Ferguson were just teenagers and they both ripped Celtic apart in a 3-0 victory.souness had said loads of times that but for his injury Durrant would have been a star in seri a.

Another controversial opinion

People only campaigned for Celtics allocation to be reduced because they were embarrassing us on the park and some of our fans couldn’t accept those rats lording it over us

If they hadn’t embarrassed us on the pitch for a few seasons, and had we had a good team, the allocation cut would’ve never happened

It’s ruined what made the derby unique and completely sanitised it. Rangers Celtic games are utter pish now and I don’t really enjoy them at Ibrox or Parkhead, though I absolutely will cry if I don’t get one (doubtful though)
You don’t enjoy the games against them at Ibrox??

Granted the games at the piggery are now shite.

Paul Lake of Manchester City got a similar one in 1990 and never ever recovered from it.

He actually did his rehab at Lilleshall with Durrant, who helped him through his rehab.
Ye it’s only in last few years that injury has been able to be rectified

I mean Jack Grealish has ended up at City so I can’t really say that wouldn’t be true. But I do think for the way he’s often spoken about you’d expect that his CV would have read Milan or Juve as opposed to Spurs, Lazio etc. Most of it was born out of Italia 90. Absolute class player and love him to bits but the highest tier of player doesn’t have those clubs as the best of his CV.
You could partially argue that about Maradona as well though. Aside from Barcelona where he didn't have a happy time of it the team's aren't elite level.

It was just a different time, especially in Italy. I think Batistuta was at Fiorentina for 8 years or something while being easily one of the best strikers about. If that was now it would be 1 season and then off to Madrid/City/PSG.

People hold our fans to a far higher standard than is required. You’d think we were absolute monsters rioting all over the shop. A few dodgy songs, but really who tucking cares? You’d think reading some threads we were the Vikings raping and pillaging a small town.

Zico went to Udinese in Serie A. Souness to Sampdoria.

You need to remember that back then it was 3 foreigners rule even in Serie A.

When Lazio signed Gazza, Milan had the three Dutchmen, Boban, Papin, Savicevic. Juventus has Kohler, Moller, Julio Cesar and Platt.

You don’t enjoy the games against them at Ibrox??

Granted the games at the piggery are now shite.
Not the same feeling anymore, I know it’s a small thing but going past their buses en route and then the feeling when you see them in the stadium has gone

Atmosphere has been sanitised and don’t think it’s much of a spectacle anymore. The atmosphere at the 1-0 Jack game was good for 20/25min but the other games have been utter pish. In all honestly, the whole match experience at Ibrox in general is unenjoyable. I’d prefer to do 38 away games each season in all honesty

At their peak Craig Moore was a more consistent defender than Big Amoruso.
Big Ammo always had a mistake in him and who could forget his row Z free kicks

Not the same feeling anymore, I know it’s a small thing but going past their buses en route and then the feeling when you see them in the stadium has gone

Atmosphere has been sanitised and don’t think it’s much of a spectacle anymore. The atmosphere at the 1-0 Jack game was good for 20/25min but the other games have been utter pish. In all honestly, the whole match experience at Ibrox in general is unenjoyable. I’d prefer to do 38 away games each season in all honesty
The last sentence million per cent.

Coopers death elevated his legendary status also.

Great on his day, but he was absolutely nowhere near the level of player he’s spoken about. Some putting him above Gazza and Laudrup is insanity.
I definitely get your point and totally agree to a point but for most of his time with us he played with dross to be fair. Also he was one of us which helps. I do get what you’re saying but watching him growing up was a treat and if you were lucky enough to see him on his day it was magic. He was born 10 years too early imo

Add in they scumbags missing Foderingham by millimetres with a flare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back