Controversial Rangers opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there's an element of that, bringing in a culture he'd been used to, the guy was running marathons in the desert before he joined, so was clearly fit as hell, on the flip side I think he vastly underrated Scottish football, our league is Bi-Polar, some of the worst shitehawks can be world beaters whereas known top players fail, I think Le Guen could go into that category, and his subsequent career has been rotten, he wasn't a part of recruitment at Lyon by all accounts
I was about to post the same. He had a massive team behind him at Lyon and didn't bring many of them with him to us. It is the same in any walk of life, if you don't have good people around you, then it can be difficult to succeed. I am not saying that if they came things would have turned out any differently, but I will agree with an earlier poster on that when we got him, he was one of the most sought after managers in Europe and it was a real coup.

Ugo Ehiogu (God rest him).
Mo Edu.
Clint Hill.
Erik Bo Andersen (though he was better than most remember).
Barrie McKay.

List is numerous.
Clint Hill is a great example. His tap-in to earn a draw when the league was already lost is the only reason Rangers fans still remember him.

Is that controversial?

I thought it was a common feeling amongst fans that some ex-players are utter leaches that play to the galleries to stay relevant? There’s a few ex-players that are heavily reliant on the goodwill of the fanbase to keep them going in life

Novo springs to mind, as does Negri. Marvin Andrews is a nice guy but he plays to the galleries to keep his name relevant

I met Marvin Andrews about ten years ago. Asked him if he still watched us. He told me that he “still looked at the scores”…

Fast forward a few years and he is an Uber-fan.

I’m sure the fact he now gets paid to do the lounges is entirely coincidental.

Clint Hill is a great example. His tap-in to earn a draw when the league was already lost is the only reason Rangers fans still remember him.

I think Clint is remembered fondly because he knew what the shirt meant and always put 100% effort in. He was limited in the extreme as a player but he loved us and put his heart and his soul into it. Maybe I’m being over dramatic (had a good few pints) but I feel we always remember limited players who gave their all more fondly than obviously gifted players who didn’t try or simply didn’t ‘get it’.

Is that controversial?

I thought it was a common feeling amongst fans that some ex-players are utter leaches that play to the galleries to stay relevant? There’s a few ex-players that are heavily reliant on the goodwill of the fanbase to keep them going in life

Novo springs to mind, as does Negri. Marvin Andrews is a nice guy but he plays to the galleries to keep his name relevant
Novo is a diehard blue nose to be fair. Big Marv no idea really but Negri I would agree - don't think has any particular allegiance to Rangers at all but makes a pretty buck.

02/03 Ferguson I would not have swapped for anyone in Britain.
On his game he was unplayable. Bossed the midfield as I have never seen before or again at Ibrox. and scored an amazing amount of goals from the midfield. He is the type of player we are crying out for at the moment.

Ian Ferguson was not a popular player for most of his Rangers career.he would be the first player to get it in the neck if things weren’t going right in a game

I disagree with most when I see people say we are currently punching about our weight in Europe and I believe the only reason so many fans think this is due to our chronic under performance historically in the 90's when we had one of the largest budgets in Europe.

While i appreciate that compared to the big 5 leagues it is now difficult to compete financially with them we have a current first team wage bill of £33.5 million which should on average see us blow the likes of Malmo or Sparta Prague away consistently in Europe.

We are Rangers, getting to a group stage and the last 16/32 shouldn't be seen as success it should be seen as Standard!

imho of course.

I disagree with most when I see people say we are currently punching about our weight in Europe and I believe the only reason so many fans think this is due to our chronic under performance historically in the 90's when we had one of the largest budgets in Europe.

While i appreciate that compared to the big 5 leagues it is now difficult to compete financially with them we have a current first team wage bill of £33.5 million which should on average see us blow the likes of Malmo or Sparta Prague away consistently in Europe.

We are Rangers, getting to a group stage and the last 16/32 shouldn't be seen as success it should be seen as Standard!

imho of course.

Tbh yes this. For a club our size its mad we only have one European title to our names.

Marco Negri is a money grabbing bastard that should be ignored by the Rangers support. A good six months, a wage thief for the rest of the time then you never heard of him until he had a book coming out and realised he could make some money out of the Rangers fans again
This really gets my goat. I cannot believe fans cannot see through him. He saw an opportunity to remain relevant and make money and took it. The way he capitulated that season is unforgivable.

Here’s one that I will get shouted at for

29 year old Michael Mols played an excellent first 19 games for Rangers, scoring 13 goals and tearing defences to shreds.

His next 127 games where he scored 33 goals he was never at the same level, not his fault and we all know it was because of that injury - but he wasn’t the same player.

I’m not sure how valid it is, to say he was as good as......

Purely because it was such a short period of time, by all means it’s fine to say “for those 19 games he was incredible” but....

It may seem pedantic, but it has always bothered me. One may call it romanticism.
I can't believe he played 127 games

The injury Durrant got was a career ending one at the time mate. That’s not the case these days thankfully. Without a shadow of doubt he would have been one of the best attacking midfielders in Britain at that time.
100% He kept Souness out the team FFS! He was an amazing talent prior to his injury. He was 22 years old if memory serves me right and an outstanding talent in Europe and in Scotland.

100% He kept Souness out the team FFS! He was an amazing talent prior to his injury. He was 22 years old if memory serves me right and an outstanding talent in Europe and in Scotland.
Yep you’re right. I’m pretty sure he was being eyed up by the big Italian clubs at the time. When serie A was the bollocks

Coopers death elevated his legendary status also.

Great on his day, but he was absolutely nowhere near the level of player he’s spoken about. Some putting him above Gazza and Laudrup is insanity.
I am interested to know what age you are? The fact Guillit (genuinely world class) said he was the best player he played against speaks volumes. I remember the 80's when we were mid table and everything went through him. He carried probably the. most average team I have seen (barring the lower leagues). He then went on and was instrumental in winning the Scottish cup with Motherwell. Laudrup is the best player by a distance I have seen in a Rangers jersey. Gazza could however win a game on his own a'la Maradona when he was in the mood, but both had talented players beside them, whereas Coop played beside mediocre players. I would have loved to see Coop in his hey day with our 9 in a row team.

A lot of people are going to be shocked by the level Morelos plays at after leaving us. He may not even get a move to a Top 5 league.

Unless he finds a hell of a lot more hunger to live like a professional football and behaves less selfishly, his best hope is to go to a Porto where he'll eventually end up being a back up striker. More likely he goes to a mid-table French or Spanish side and slowly disappears.

Both Morelos for us and Edouard for them have always been overrated. Edouard is never going to go to a better club than Crystal Palace.

Derek Ferguson was a better player than Barry …
Career says otherwise. In his pomp when he was in there with Durrant, they were probably the best two youngsters I witnessed at Rangers. However, he was a daftie and blew it and never realised his massive potential. Barry probably learned from his mistakes but had a far better career as a consequence.

Career says otherwise. In his pomp when he was in there with Durrant, they were probably the best two youngsters I witnessed at Rangers. However, he was a daftie and blew it and never realised his massive potential. Barry probably learned from his mistakes but had a far better career as a consequence.
Couldn’t have put it better myself, if he had screwed the nut he would have shown he was the better player… unfortunately he blew it lol

When Derek thought Barry was starting to a bit more of a traditional teenager, he took him to Falkirk stadium where Derek was playing at the time, showed him how it paled in comparison to Ibrox and how the players having to do jobs around the stadium.

May have been the reality check he needed.

That is just not true.. Are you 15?
i used to hear him take some terrible stick if things weren’t going well.punters almost came to blows over him at a game up in tannadice we lost 1-0 during the nine in a row season.he had a spell where he was constantly injured and I would hear some fans saying that we should cut our losses as he was to injury prone.

When Derek thought Barry was starting to a bit more of a traditional teenager, he took him to Falkirk stadium where Derek was playing at the time, showed him how it paled in comparison to Ibrox and how the players having to do jobs around the stadium.

May have been the reality check he needed.
I never knew this, but fair play to him for doing that.

Ian Ferguson was not a popular player for most of his Rangers career.he would be the first player to get it in the neck if things weren’t going right in a game

It’s that old thing about one of your own getting in the neck from supporters because they’re an easy target.

He had a virus in 1990 that really knackered him and destroyed his stamina for a while.

He was a better than he ever gets credit for - so much more than just the hard man he’s labelled as.

The years have played tricks with people’s minds and Mols and Durrant would never have been ‘world class’ post injury.

Players get injured all the time and recover. They were great players, but if they didn’t get injured they would have still been the same player and at the same level.

Don’t shoot me :)

“Players get injured all the time and recover”

The injury Durrant got and the medical care available at the time he was lucky to walk, let alone and come back to play football and have the career he had. An exceptional player, that unfortunately nobody will know exactly how good he would have been.

Also some of the takes on Gazza are absolutely mental. Wasn’t an elite player because look at the teams he played for. There was a time in football when you could be world class and not have to be signed by some oil baron.

It’s that old thing about one of your own getting in the neck from supporters because they’re an easy target.

He had a virus in 1990 that really knackered him and destroyed his stamina for a while.

He was a better than he ever gets credit for - so much more than just the hard man he’s labelled as.
A lot of my mates are St Mirren fans, and still absolutely love him.

A brilliant player, who perhaps had to sacrifice some of his own ability and freedom to express himself in order to benefit the team.

As an aside, my mates mum sold him his house in Erskine, Davie Roberston too.

One of these estate houses, then the other side of the path is the normal houses. If i was born 10 years earlier I'd have been able to hit his house from my bedroom window :))

Pointless info loyal.

Agree, the fawning over Gough and Numan last week gave me the boak
I have met Numan on numerous occasions and he loves our club. I have never met Gough, but for me, he epitomises everything a Rangers Captain should be. They deserved to be fawned over in my opinion, as they both have the best interests of our club at heart and both completely bought in to us. As I have said earlier, it is people like Negri that gets my goat and absolute charlatan who is just looking to supplement his retirement fund. I also remember the semi final against the tims in 2001/2002 league cup semi final (Bertie screamer to win it) and I was lucky enough to get tickets beside our bench at Hampden. The game was end to end and the atmosphere was electric. Ronald De Boer got subbed and spent the rest of the game on his phone. That spoke volumes to me, but Numan and Gough are polar opposites to him and Negri.

I have the opposite view pretty much.

I think Craig Moore was generally very poor overall, had 1 good season.

Amo, I think is the most gifted centre-back I've seen play for Rangers. Unfortunately his tendency to have brain-farts stopped him from being truly top class, but he had all the natural attributes of a great centre-back.
Big Amo sold the jerseys against Monaco and Simeone scored the equaliser that prevented us from progressing into the CL that year and broke my heart. However, he was head and shoulders above Moore in every department.

Another controversial opinion

People only campaigned for Celtics allocation to be reduced because they were embarrassing us on the park and some of our fans couldn’t accept those rats lording it over us

If they hadn’t embarrassed us on the pitch for a few seasons, and had we had a good team, the allocation cut would’ve never happened

It’s ruined what made the derby unique and completely sanitised it. Rangers Celtic games are utter pish now and I don’t really enjoy them at Ibrox or Parkhead, though I absolutely will cry if I don’t get one (doubtful though)

The rivalry they claim died in 2012?

I have met Numan on numerous occasions and he loves our club. I have never met Gough, but for me, he epitomises everything a Rangers Captain should be. They deserved to be fawned over in my opinion, as they both have the best interests of our club at heart and both completely bought in to us. As I have said earlier, it is people like Negri that gets my goat and absolute charlatan who is just looking to supplement his retirement fund. I also remember the semi final against the tims in 2001/2002 league cup semi final (Bertie screamer to win it) and I was lucky enough to get tickets beside our bench at Hampden. The game was end to end and the atmosphere was electric. Ronald De Boer got subbed and spent the rest of the game on his phone. That spoke volumes to me, but Numan and Gough are polar opposites to him and Negri.
Numan’s one of the nicest players I’ve ever met and Gough is a Rangers legend and the epitome of what a Rangers captain should be. Anyone getting the boak over fans fawning over them either must be about 15 or suffer from amnesia. It’s just absolutely weird.

Not the same feeling anymore, I know it’s a small thing but going past their buses en route and then the feeling when you see them in the stadium has gone

Atmosphere has been sanitised and don’t think it’s much of a spectacle anymore. The atmosphere at the 1-0 Jack game was good for 20/25min but the other games have been utter pish. In all honestly, the whole match experience at Ibrox in general is unenjoyable. I’d prefer to do 38 away games each season in all honesty
I get the point of this thread but your point is so wrong, we wanted them moved and I don’t know any one who never had a gripe with the fact they got a full stand to display and rant their terrorist bile whilst we are tucked away out of sight.

Nothing to do with results

Numan’s one of the nicest players I’ve ever met and Gough is a Rangers legend and the epitome of what a Rangers captain should be. Anyone getting the boak over fans fawning over them either must be about 15 or suffer from amnesia. It’s just absolutely weird.
Hadn't read the whole thread, saw this post and thought "surely to fùck nobody has a bad word to say against Numan?"

There's controversial, then there's attention seeking. I think any criticism of Numan safely comes under the latter. Met him quite a few times and he's always been pleasant, happy to chat, sign autographs or have a picture taken.

For the record, Gough was a more serious character on the couple of occasions I met him but still happy to sign my Ally McCoist Quiz Book.

My controversial opinion is.

We should have refused point blank to start any game in 2012 in league 2 or the challenge cup and forced the SPL to go bust on its own.

TV contracts would have seen most go bust and had we held out and called their bluff we would have got justice.

I also disagree with how we are dealing with the BT situation, the BBC and daily record I am fully behind but sometimes u have to accept the commentary being provided by the tv company and if we are so upset about it then why is cocker and Walker allowed in

Hadn't read the whole thread, saw this post and thought "surely to fùck nobody has a bad word to say against Numan?"

There's controversial, then there's attention seeking. I think any criticism of Numan safely comes under the latter. Met him quite a few times and he's always been pleasant, happy to chat, sign autographs or have a picture taken.

For the record, Gough was a more serious character on the couple of occasions I met him but still happy to sign my Ally McCoist Quiz Book.
Yeah go a bit further back for someone saying seeing Rangers fans fawn over Numan and Gough last week gave him the boak. You’d think it had been lifted from that Kerryfail account, and ironically came from someone who early accused me of looking for attention.

Numan was fantastic, really polite and courteous. He also continued to live here after retiring so the idea he just puts it on to stay relevant or make a bit of extra cash is pathetic and insulting to him.

Last edited:
Mine will always be that Dick Advocaat was an utter failure with us. Spent big money on cracking players only to bomb constantly in Europe and collapsed when Celtic got their act together and brought in a decent manager and spent big on decent players.
This is also mine, I felt and still do that he fecked off and didn't fancy it against O'Neil.

Fashion Sakala and Scott Wright aren’t any better than Greg Stewart
I respect your opinion but Sakala is levels above both. You think Stewart would score anywhere near the number of goals Sakala scored in Belgium last season? (16 goals and 5 assist, just another a 1/2 goals to games ratio.

There’s a reason Stewart ended up in India…

I respect your opinion but Sakala is levels above both. You think Stewart would score anywhere near the number of goals Sakala scored in Belgium last season? (16 goals and 5 assist, just another a 1/2 goals to games ratio.

There’s a reason Stewart ended up in India…
There are some right average players in Belgium who bang in goals and im sure Villa paid 20 million for a striker who was bang average as well.

On Sakala I agree and I think we will see another 2 attackers come in soon enough who convert the chances we create

I dont like simply the best and the gstq rendition at the end of games.
Simply The Best = 4 great, rousing lines that everyone knows and loves (the chorus obviously)... Then becomes a complete anti-climax after that and takes too long to get back to repeating the chorus, so it kind of just trails off awkwardly

Yeah go a bit further back for someone saying seeing Rangers fans fawn over Numan and and Gough last week gave him the boak. You’d think it had been lifted from that Kerryfail account.

Numan was fantastic, really polite and courteous. He also continued to live here after retiring so the idea he just puts it on to stay relevant or make a bit of extra cash is pathetic and insulting to him.
Aye, I clicked back on the posts to find it.

I'm sure that or "we only the moved the mentally challengeds because we lost some games" will run out clear winners on this thread.

I'll be sure to read it all after work though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back