Controversial Rangers opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah go a bit further back for someone saying seeing Rangers fans fawn over Numan and Gough last week gave him the boak. You’d think it had been lifted from that Kerryfail account, and ironically came from someone who early accused me of looking for attention.

Numan was fantastic, really polite and courteous. He also continued to live here after retiring so the idea he just puts it on to stay relevant or make a bit of extra cash is pathetic and insulting to him.

Im fairly certain Numan also offered to play on for us on a massively reduced wage. Hardly the kind of guy that was all about money. There is zero doubt where Numans heart lies.

Mo Edu was a terrible player who contributed nothing, touch was terrible and passing shite. Only gets a pass due to the goal against the minks.

Beasley another imposter, few twitter posts an bears love him....spent most his wages on the physio table

There are some right average players in Belgium who bang in goals and im sure Villa paid 20 million for a striker who was bang average as well.

On Sakala I agree and I think we will see another 2 attackers come in soon enough who convert the chances we create
I agree with that generally about Belgium. Antwerp were a total shambles last season, one of the worst defences I’ve seen Rangers come up against in recent years in Europe.

And Liege were just a well organised outfit, very ordinary.

However Stewart, and I actually rated him more than most Rangers fans did, wouldn’t score many in that league. If he would he’d at least have gotten offers to play in a better league than he’s at now.

One of my controversial opinions is that Hemdani was genuinely top class. I feel that we could have built the midfield around him and he could have played until his late 30s.

I can’t believe that he seems to have retired after Rangers. His reading of the game, his simple direct passing, his ability to cut passing lanes…

I don’t think a single defensive midfielder other than Kamara has been on his level since (I don’t class Davis as a pure defensive midfielder as his main asset is arguably his forward passing).

If we had Hemdani now he’d walk into the team and we’d concede very few goals.

Wont be popular......... but I have a nagging feeling Nathan Paterson won’t be as good as he’s being built up to be (hope I’m wrong obviously)

Our team was all about matching Celtic’s 9 instead of beating it and we took our foot off the gas handing them their first title in a decade on a plate. kinda annoyed me when Gough slated Goldson last week because I was raging with Gough and others quitting at the time

Last edited:
Mine is that if you are a young player coming through the youth setup, that you should do what Gilmour did and not stay at Rangers. Obviously from a fans perspective I don’t want to lose good young players, especially ones who are Rangers fans, but we never give youth players a chance. Not sure if its to do with us as fans always demanding results and easy to get on the players backs or the managers under pressure to win every game.

When Derek thought Barry was starting to a bit more of a traditional teenager, he took him to Falkirk stadium where Derek was playing at the time, showed him how it paled in comparison to Ibrox and how the players having to do jobs around the stadium.

May have been the reality check he needed.
Derek Ferguson played a very big role in Barry's development just before he made the breakthrough.

Rangers will be competing against Premiership clubs for top players again, within the next decade.

Amo had some great games for us but had too many calamities in him to ever be considered a great defender.

And in hindsight we probably should have canned him after he racially abused Victor Ikpeba.

Reactions: VGM
Cammy Bell was a very decent Rangers keeper, he was rushed back from a shoulder injury which made him under perform in that Motherwell game which seems to be the only game other fans remember him playing in.

Jason Holt is 10x the player of Andy Halliday (who is comparatively pish and has made a living off being a token Rangers fan).

And finally…

The abuse Ian Black gets is disgusting, he was decent for us and treated us the same as any other opponent prior to joining us.

One of my controversial opinions is that Hemdani was genuinely top class. I feel that we could have built the midfield around him and he could have played until his late 30s.

I can’t believe that he seems to have retired after Rangers. His reading of the game, his simple direct passing, his ability to cut passing lanes…

I don’t think a single defensive midfielder other than Kamara has been on his level since (I don’t class Davis as a pure defensive midfielder as his main asset is arguably his forward passing).

If we had Hemdani now he’d walk into the team and we’d concede very few goals.
He turned up at Hibs on trial a few years later, know a few podcasts have tried to contact him to find out what happened after leaving but had no joy.

The abuse Ian Black gets is disgusting, he was decent for us and treated us the same as any other opponent prior to joining us.
The hate is fully justified for me. A thoroughly dislikable player and plastic hard man who on several occasions went out to "do" our players (successfully in the case of Jelavic). It'd be the equivalent of us trying to sign Porteous now, some if not most would just never be ok with it.

He also totally half arsed it while playing for us and betting against us in a match he was due to play in is inexcusable.

He's a stain on our club IMO.

I think the atmosphere at Ibrox is absolutely brutal these days. Rangers has tried to push to ensure it is a family club, but by doing that and clamping down on the sectarian singing, people are too scared to join in with any singing in general. Hate to say it but the board would rather the atmosphere was stone dead than 50,000 intimidating the opposition with a full house on European nights belting out The Billy Boys.

Even the area around the stadium is just absolutely depressing, partly thanks to Glasgow City Council for leaving it to turn to wasteland. Infront of the Main Stand or behind the Sandy Jardine.

People talk about the "Euro Neds" on the other thread but if it wasn't for them people would be too scared to join in without fans telling them to shut up or sit down.
Surely you do understand though that 50,000 fans belting out the Billy Boys on euro nights wouldn’t be good for the club.

The hate is fully justified for me. A thoroughly dislikable player and plastic hard man who on several occasions went out to "do" our players (successfully in the case of Jelavic). It'd be the equivalent of us trying to sign Porteous now, some if not most would just never be ok with it.

He also totally half arsed it while playing for us and betting against us in a match he was due to play in is inexcusable.

He's a stain on our club IMO.
Black went over the top of the ball on Ledley either the week before or after Jelavic, he done several other players too throughout his career. Don’t think it’s comparible to Porteous who has the majority of these incidents against us and only seems to have an interest in baiting us in the press.

Can forgive Black for the betting thing, there’s players in our team who did much worse in 2012 (again probably a controversial opinion).

Black went over the top of the ball on Ledley either the week before or after Jelavic, he done several other players too throughout his career. Don’t think it’s comparible to Porteous who has the majority of these incidents against us and only seems to have an interest in baiting us in the press.

Can forgive Black for the betting thing, there’s players in our team who did much worse in 2012 (again probably a controversial opinion).
Nah porteous is a dirty bastard not just on Rangers players he’s done it to Forrest and McGregor at celtic and Gary McKay-Steven when he was at Aberdeen. The sooner some diddy club in England sign him the better for Scottish football.

The long term health of the club would be in much better shape if we had a strong league. To get a strong league, we should take the lead and get clubs to vote on:
a) split league prize money equally,
b) splitting every clubs commercial contracts equally, or centralising all commercial deals within the SPFL
c) (the really controversial one) share European prize money across the other top-flight/professional teams.

A good league that’s more competitive would only be good for us.

My controversial opinion is.

We should have refused point blank to start any game in 2012 in league 2 or the challenge cup and forced the SPL to go bust on its own.

TV contracts would have seen most go bust and had we held out and called their bluff we would have got justice.

I also disagree with how we are dealing with the BT situation, the BBC and daily record I am fully behind but sometimes u have to accept the commentary being provided by the tv company and if we are so upset about it then why is cocker and Walker allowed in
Agree with the BT part. Looks petty and small-time, and it doesn't benefit the club to start fights with the entire world.

It’s that old thing about one of your own getting in the neck from supporters because they’re an easy target.

He had a virus in 1990 that really knackered him and destroyed his stamina for a while.

He was a better than he ever gets credit for - so much more than just the hard man he’s labelled as.
I agree totally,when he came to Rangers he was an attacking player but he sacrificed that to help the team.for me he’s one of the unsung heroes of the nine in a row team

The long term health of the club would be in much better shape if we had a strong league. To get a strong league, we should take the lead and get clubs to vote on:
a) split league prize money equally,
b) splitting every clubs commercial contracts equally, or centralising all commercial deals within the SPFL
c) (the really controversial one) share European prize money across the other top-flight/professional teams.

A good league that’s more competitive would only be good for us.

I would agree with much of that in principal if we had administrators in the game who could be trusted. The last 50 years of governance of the SFA and 30 years of the SPL/SPFL show that we don't.

I would agree with much of that in principal if we had administrators in the game who could be trusted. The last 50 years of governance of the SFA and 30 years of the SPL/SPFL show that we don't.
All the administrators have to do is divide incoming money by 12 and distribute it. There would be no shenanigans possible. And I speak as someone who hates Neil Doncaster and thinks he’s a total moron.

If you’re talking about the marketing department then I’d expect the SPFL to recruit one or outsource it.

But the point is that we moan about the quality of the league, but we do nothing to make it better. Moving away from an obsessive focus on the Old Firm arms race every year and moving towards a league where other teams have a legit shot at the title and the money to invest in decent teams and facilities would be good for us.

It might also recalibrate the supports expectations and see less intensity and negativity at Ibrox when things go wrong, and give us the chance to bring young kids through.

The club doesn’t open itself up enough to the fans. Everything is money taken but not a lot given back. Every player at Spurs must be seen to be contributing something back to the local community. Would be great to see the players getting more involved in schools or community work.

All the administrators have to do is divide incoming money by 12 and distribute it. There would be no shenanigans possible. And I speak as someone who hates Neil Doncaster and thinks he’s a total moron.

If you’re talking about the marketing department then I’d expect the SPFL to recruit one or outsource it.

But the point is that we moan about the quality of the league, but we do nothing to make it better. Moving away from an obsessive focus on the Old Firm arms race every year and moving towards a league where other teams have a legit shot at the title and the money to invest in decent teams and facilities would be good for us.

It might also recalibrate the supports expectations and see less intensity and negativity at Ibrox when things go wrong, and give us the chance to bring young kids through.
Agree with this 100%. Would say 200% but thats impossible. I often wonder what the point of following a Scottish club is if its not us or them, as your expectations are limited to a depressing extent right from the off.

I think the Old Firm duopoly is very bad for Scottish football, is boring and is slowly killing the game up here.

Agree with this 100%. Would say 200% but thats impossible. I often wonder what the point of following a Scottish club is if its not us or them, as your expectations are limited to a depressing extent right from the off.

I think the Old Firm duopoly is very bad for Scottish football, is boring and is slowly killing the game up here.
Yup. And even from our perspective, we’d get better quality and more exciting games to watch. I can guarantee there will be absolutely no joy derived from this game v Livi today - it’ll be a boring affair that entertains no one. But that’s because the budget disparity is such that setting up like that is the only remote chance Livi have of taking a point.

Also, a league where a team can average 2.5 points a game and still come second is a league that’s broken.

Yup. And even from our perspective, we’d get better quality and more exciting games to watch. I can guarantee there will be absolutely no joy derived from this game v Livi today - it’ll be a boring affair that entertains no one. But that’s because the budget disparity is such that setting up like that is the only remote chance Livi have of taking a point.

Also, a league where a team can average 2.5 points a game and still come second is a league that’s broken.
Its small wonder the young people i talk to focus much more on English football... or even worse Barca/Real etc

1) Rangers fans should act as if Mr Struth is watching, not like drunken arseholes singing sectarian songs about Bobby Sands, UVF etc, the pope, catholics etc.
2) Ross Perry is, I’m sorry to say, the worst player I’ve ever seen play for Rangers.
3) Folk thinking KT will be a Rangers manager in future are mad.
4) The “no one likes us we don’t care” patter is utterly cringeworthy nowadays and harms the club.
5) As much as I like the current board for ousting the last lot and delivering 55, they really need a reality check on certain points such as matchday catering, toilets - feel they are playing on fan loyalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back