Controversial Rangers opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
both had injuries show up in their medicals, and Advocaat was only allowed to sign one
That’s not how I remember it both were at Ibrox on the same day the national news (ITV) did a piece on it at the time as the transfer rules were changing

Walter Smith got off incredibly lightly during season after season of abject failure in Europe during NIAR.

As much as I love him, Walter should have been on a formal warning after AEK Athens. That was our second failure in a row in the first round. The following year in the group was totally abject. A club with serious ambitions in Europe would not have tolerated it.

Still my all time Rangers hero and that’ll never ever change.

Another one but might have already been mentioned.

That piss up in the dressing room before the Slavia Prague match was totally inappropriate. We really could have beaten Slavia. Had we done so we’d have had a best of Britain clash against Arsenal. Had we beaten Arsenal just imagine the scenes.

I’m not saying that the piss up was the reason we went out but you could see after ten minutes in Prague our players were off it. Still can’t believe Gerrard allowed and partook in those celebrations which could have waited.
Disagree on that the we didn't play well in the first half but we played well 2nd half over there and had a couple of chances that we didn't take. We went out because we simply didn't turn up at Ibrox we fell into their trap they had set after scoring to disrupt the flow of the game like going down everytime they were touched aided by a woeful ref. We just didn't do enough on the night and Balogun's 2nd yellow was the end for us.

That’s not how I remember it both were at Ibrox on the same day the national news (ITV) did a piece on it at the time as the transfer rules were changing

Im sure Ive read that a few times on here….. maybe Im thinking of someone else.

Someone else might be able to confirm if Im talking shite or not

As much as I love him, Walter should have been on a formal warning after AEK Athens. That was our second failure in a row in the first round. The following year in the group was totally abject. A club with serious ambitions in Europe would not have tolerated it.

Still my all time Rangers hero and that’ll never ever change.
And neither it should, mate. Still, we can't be blind to that series of unacceptable disasters.

Reactions: VGM
Our work in general with big buys has been pretty poor and we have went further as a club based on lower end buys

Konterman, Kanchelskis, Ball, Flo, that’s a kick in the arse of 40 million when teams didn’t really spend that, and that’s some of our top end buys

Pena under Pedro, players Smith spent money on were as miss as hit during both spells, Gerrard didn’t spend fees that well either

We have, even by hit and miss boom and bust of transfers wasted a hell of a lot of money

Last edited:
Another one but might have already been mentioned.

That piss up in the dressing room before the Slavia Prague match was totally inappropriate. We really could have beaten Slavia. Had we done so we’d have had a best of Britain clash against Arsenal. Had we beaten Arsenal just imagine the scenes.

I’m not saying that the piss up was the reason we went out but you could see after ten minutes in Prague our players were off it. Still can’t believe Gerrard allowed and partook in those celebrations which could have waited.
The celebrations for winning the league when we got that 55th title were always going to be wild but all the focus on “55” became a bit too much really.. some of the players really thought they had done it all with one title.

Tell that to the title run ins …
His performances in run in are generally pretty over hyped and only serve to exaggerate how poor he had been the rest of the season

Compare and contrast what we got from him for the fee paid for a Davis, Jelavic or Mendes, if he had performed to the fee he would have removed as much need for run ins and likely been of benefit more often in Europe

Walter Smith got off incredibly lightly during season after season of abject failure in Europe during NIAR.
The net spend for the end result was concerning.
Key Souness signings carried the team at times (Gough, Stevens, Brown, Hately, Ferguson, Steven)
1st round shockers to Sparta, Levski and AEK were really bad. Group stages embarrassing, 1 win in 12 in back to back seasons.
£2.2M for Miko, £4mill for Ferguson, £4mill for Rosenthal.
Spent on McPherson, Petric, Boli and still ended up playing an aging John Brown.
Couldn't replace Gary Stevens
Money spent in 19997 to secure TIAR was a massive failure

That said, some of the greatest memories ive ever had in football. 92/93 season in particular.
Goram, McCall, Robertson, Laudrup and Gazza were legendary signings. McLaren, Durie good signings too.
A legend

The stadium, and our fan base actually, is filled with people that wouldn’t look out of place on The Scheme or Jeremy Kyle.
I can excuse that (almost) but the absolute dross that comes out of them makes it almost unbearable.
I genuinely hold a lot of the fans in CF4 in low regard. Neds with a bank balance that have no moral fibre and zero football intellect to go along with it.
CF3 seem like good guys though… B-D

Rangers (with all the talent we’ve had across multiple eras from the 50’s) should’ve had at least one European Cup final appearance. I do think it’s a massive hole in our history books when you consider the likes of Leeds and Nottingham Forest have won or at least reached the final of the competition.

His performances in run in are generally pretty over hyped and only serve to exaggerate how poor he had been the rest of the season

Compare and contrast what we got from him for the fee paid for a Davis, Jelavic or Mendes, if he had performed to the fee he would have removed as much need for run ins and likely been of benefit more often in Europe
Mendes…
Come on…

There is an unpopular opinion, I detested (and still do after Pedro debacle) Pedro Mendes. Overhyped IMO and Kyle Lafferty contributed far more to our wins than Mendes.

Mendes…
Come on…

There is an unpopular opinion, I detested (and still do after Pedro debacle) Pedro Mendes. Overhyped IMO and Kyle Lafferty contributed far more to our wins than Mendes.
Their contribution in the time both were actually with us? Don’t be daft lol

Ok, i'll clarify

So players i thought were better than Ian Ferguson during his 12 years with us:
Ian Durrant until injury
Ray Wilkins
Nigel Spackman
Stuart McCall
Trevor Steven
Paul Gascoigne
Barry Ferguson
Giovanni Van Brockhurst
Claudia Reyna

Ferguson's availability to play. Well he signed same season as Gough. Gough had a spell in USA then left in 98. Ferguson was with us from 1988 till 2000

Gough Rangers league appearances - 318
Ferguson Rangers league appearances - 236

Outside his League Cup Final goal and his UCL strike against CSKA. I cant think of key goal Fergie scored.

Scored two Old Firm goals that I can think of. Three if he gets the one that Bonner parried and McCoist nodded in the rebound but it might have been over the line.

They're quite key.

Rangers, with all the talent we’ve had across multiple era forms the 50’s, should’ve had at least one European Cup final appearance. I do think it’s a massive hole in our history when you consider the likes of Leeds and Nottingham Forest have won or at least reached the final.
Add Aston Villa to that....Their first ever attempt in it and they go and win it. Rangers must've had more attempts at the EC/CL than almost any other team in history, but look at our record in it. It's truly pitiful.

McLeish was a better manager than Advocaat and we as supporters sometimes undervalue Scots in favour of foreign players/managers.

Also Bob Malcolm, when played in midfield, was a better player than people gave him credit for.

The years have played tricks with people’s minds and Mols and Durrant would never have been ‘world class’ post injury.

Players get injured all the time and recover. They were great players, but if they didn’t get injured they would have still been the same player and at the same level.

Don’t shoot me :)
Tripe!!

Reactions: VGM
Daniel Cousin wasn’t that good barring one game against Celtic and one game against Lyon.

The fact Hull paid us £2m for a 30 year old striker, that had a 2/7 record for us and we had got for £750k the year was highway robber type stuff.
Cousin getting sent off In Florence, missing the final was a huge factor in how badly we played in Manchester, he was crucial to how the team played

People talk about us missing hateley after his sending off in champs league, cousin not playing in the actual final was probably a bigger blow to our hopes of winning another European trophy given the comparable squads

Our fans consistently underestimate the strength of European sides.

I don't believe the 9iar team really underperformed in Europe that badly, the fans didn't appreciate some of the sides we lost to were actually very good. (Maybe made worse by the heroic 92-93 run).

Even now. Some were on here saying Lyon were bang average, not that good, after they wiped the floor with us.

McLeish was a better manager than Advocaat and we as supporters sometimes undervalue Scots in favour of foreign players/managers.

Also Bob Malcolm, when played in midfield, was a better player than people gave him credit for.

I don't know if McLeish overall was a better manager than Advocaat, but could Advocaat have won what McLeish did even though we were downsizing dramatically at the time?

I'm honestly not too sure he could have!

I was too lazy to work it out exactly. It's only a minority of Rangers fans and most Celtic fans who are rattled by it. I'd rather have more Rangers fans inside Ibrox than them and that's the end of my argument.
Yeah why the fvck put those kunts a part of the stadium normally reserved for home fans? Even ignoring their terrible behaviour it makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back