Controversial Rangers opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Players get injured all the time and recover”

The injury Durrant got and the medical care available at the time he was lucky to walk, let alone and come back to play football and have the career he had. An exceptional player, that unfortunately nobody will know exactly how good he would have been.

Also some of the takes on Gazza are absolutely mental. Wasn’t an elite player because look at the teams he played for. There was a time in football when you could be world class and not have to be signed by some oil baron.
Including our “physio” carrying him off the park. Not sure how qualified PB even was.

Rangers (with all the talent we’ve had across multiple eras from the 50’s) should’ve had at least one European Cup final appearance. I do think it’s a massive hole in our history books when you consider the likes of Leeds and Nottingham Forest have won or at least reached the final of the competition.
No doubt about it. Our European history is decent but not good or great, especially for a club this size. Unfortunately for us European football under UEFA now is not geared for clubs like Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen and Dundee United to do well. Every Scottish team, bar the OF, are out of Europe before Halloween

I don't know if McLeish overall was a better manager than Advocaat, but could Advocaat have won what McLeish did even though we were downsizing dramatically at the time?

I'm honestly not too sure he could have!
He wouldn't even attempt to operate on that budget McLeish did, and Eck made knockout round of CL with some average players (albeit with only 7 points!)

708-D521-B-234-D-444-F-A0-BD-08-D10311-E3-B7.jpg

The main man.

We'd have been better with sponge bob

Singing songs about the Pope & Bobby Sands doesn’t do anything to motivate the players on the pitch.
We win 55, players at the training ground celebrating with fans all the songs were about players or rangers, Im ignoring the ryan jack song here. The players loved it.

Who knows maybe if we chanted more in favour of players, maybe even a player struggling on the pitch and it may have a positive impact.

Their contribution in the time both were actually with us? Don’t be daft lol
Im being 100% serious, Lafferty scored many a vital goal, mendes is fondly remembered for a wonderful strike or two but he was a lazy half hearted show pony in most other games

Im being 100% serious, Lafferty scored many a vital goal, mendes is fondly remembered for a wonderful strike or two but he was a lazy half hearted show pony in most other games

He (Mendes) had the most man of the match performances of any player in the league the season he was with Rangers, he was excellent for us.

Lafferty on the other hand literally was a half hearted show pony that season and redeemed himself with a hell of lot of people based on one goal and managing to get Mulgrew sent off, those two moments aside he was pretty turgid that season.

In 08/09 some would literally try and claim Lafferty and his goals won the league, he scored 6 league goals and yes he scored on the last day of the season in a must win game, so did Mendes, before that game Lafferty had went about 9 league games without a goal.

Their contributions in that season weren't even close.

Papac is now overrated because of the strange nostalgia over him.
Worrall is better than Katic.
People wouldn't give Tav as much stick if Gerrard had signed him.
Kevin Thomson, like Ryan Jack, was overrated because he get stuck in (though I do rate both of them, neither are the players people think they are).
Broadfoot doesn't get the credit he deserves for his performances in 2008 (he is still a pr*ck).
Though Ian Black shouldn't have played for us, it's strange that people jump on him as our worst ever player, when he isn't even close to that award.

I despise people that try to distance the Club from its traditional and spiritual support. The Club is, and always will be, a Protestant, Unionist, Scottish Institution.

I don't despise people who do so but I don't support or trust those who try to deny our history or traditions.

However, I do despise those who won't allow us to create new narratives. We should never deny our PUL history and a continued connection to those values, but we should not be limited by them either.

I want a club open to everyone (except plastics, obviously).

It's going to sound completely arsehole-like given his brutally, far too early passing but I could never take to Fernando Ricksen in a Rangers shirt. Personally thought he was vastly overrated and no where near worth £4 million that the General paid for him. His constant headlines didn't help either.

I mean no disrespect by it and normally I wouldn't say anything ill of him, but the question was labeled 'controversial'

I think the Goram save is incredibly over-rated.

Goram was in the right place but with the entire goal to hit from 6 yards out, Van Hoodjonk hit it straight at the goalkeeper.
I’ve always felt the same, it’s a great reaction save but he doesn’t even have to dive to save it.

I was happy about Walter getting the job after GS. I was really fucked off when Ally got it after Walter left the second time.
The writing was on the wall for that one tbf. He used to take charge of cup games. I remember a couple of times we would go behind and you would see Walter coming down from the stands to bail us out.

Tbf, he made an unreal start in 11/12, I'm sure we were like 13 points clear in October or something like that

I have a few - some probably not so controversial:

1) Kirk Broadfoot was one of the few players who have come to Ibrox and improved as footballers - that he converted himself into a competent rightback, gaining an international call up should be given more recognition.

2) Some players’ reputations are built on some goals against Celtic - Lovenkrands and Albertz in particular would always turn it on against Them but now so much in the lesser games.

3) I find a lot of the ex-player circus quite off putting. Players are lauded because they will turn up for the opening of an envelope & shout WATP into a microphone.

4) The Union Bears have invigorated our support and the songbook unrecognisably over the last decade but they need to recognise that this has put a target on their heads as far as the politicians & their police are concerned.
The marches before games have to go - anything that can’t be managed to the minutest degree has to go because any little thing will be blown out of all proportion and used against them & the club.

5) The charging of £25k to the media to have press access has resulted in a significant backlash against club & supporters BUT is an absolutely necessary stance. However, without detailed senior level discussion with the media outlets about why Rangers has taken this stance the club just looks like a petulant teenager thrashing out at a bit of criticism.

The writing was on the wall for that one tbf. He used to take charge of cup games. I remember a couple of times we would go behind and you would see Walter coming down from the stands to bail us out.

Tbf, he made an unreal start in 11/12, I'm sure we were like 13 points clear in October or something like that
I remember when the cup games were ending in replays, extra-time & penalties, and having discussion with a few mates that it was just not going to work if McCoist was given the job.
We all adore the man but it just didn’t look like it was ever going to have a happy ending.

The domestic results up to December 2011 were something else though and it’ll always be a “What if..” when you consider the upheaval in the ownership of the club, lack of funds, and intention of Whyte to bomb the club into Administration.

I despise people that try to distance the Club from its traditional and spiritual support. The Club is, and always will be, a Protestant, Unionist, Scottish Institution.
Utter pish. Religion and politics have absolutely %^*& all to do with football. If you want to have those elements mentioned in historical conversations about the club, fair enough but that's as far it goes.

I don't think Gazza genuinely gives a f#ck about his time at Ibrox. He lays it on thick due to the monetary value the Legends circuit generates.

I remember when the cup games were ending in replays, extra-time & penalties, and having discussion with a few mates that it was just not going to work if McCoist was given the job.
We all adore the man but it just didn’t look like it was ever going to have a happy ending.

The domestic results up to December 2011 were something else though and it’ll always be a “What if..” when you consider the upheaval in the ownership of the club, lack of funds, and intention of Whyte to bomb the club into Administration.
Mate I just checked we were actually 15 points at the start of November that year and that got turned around to a 2 point deficit in January's old firm game. Then there was the whole Malmö/Maribor debacle as well. Wierd first half of the season.

Joe Worrals mistake against Kilmarnock wasn’t even the worst mistake by a Rangers player during that game yet the other mistake is never ever mentioned.

Mate I just checked we were actually 15 points at the start of November that year and that got turned around to a 2 point deficit in January's old firm game. Then there was the whole Malmö/Maribor debacle as well. Wierd first half of the season.
It was a strange time - the start was awful with the European results but then there was this run that saw a great lead built up before utter capitulation.

That day Celtic were 3-0(?) down at Kilmarnock before coming back and Rangers dropped points with St Mirren was a critical day.

It was a strange time - the start was awful with the European results but then there was this run that saw a great lead built up before utter capitulation.

That day Celtic were 3-0(?) down at Kilmarnock before coming back and Rangers dropped points with St Mirren was a critical day.
They clawed three goals back to draw at Rugby Park, and we conceded an equaliser deep in injury time at Ibrox v St Mirren. That was the turning point. The vermin recovered their form, but we never got going again

I don't think Gazza genuinely gives a f#ck about his time at Ibrox. He lays it on thick due to the monetary value the Legends circuit generates.
I tend towards this.. Gascoigne’s main focus was always his England career - above any club. You see him talk about his greatest ever teammates and it’s always England.

I don’t have a problem with it as such, but I think people need to recognise that he will say what you ask him to if it pays.

Singing songs about the Pope & Bobby Sands doesn’t do anything to motivate the players on the pitch.
Couldn't agree more. Loved seeing Sakala's big grin when we were singing his song as he was waiting to come on yesterday, that sort of stuff has a chance of actually motivating players.

Our fans consistently underestimate the strength of European sides.

I don't believe the 9iar team really underperformed in Europe that badly, the fans didn't appreciate some of the sides we lost to were actually very good. (Maybe made worse by the heroic 92-93 run).

Even now. Some were on here saying Lyon were bang average, not that good, after they wiped the floor with us.
I thought they were bang average before they first came to Ibrox with Benzema. Never underestimated them again. Lyon are a good side in a good league. Big difference to where we are.

It's going to sound completely arsehole-like given his brutally, far too early passing but I could never take to Fernando Ricksen in a Rangers shirt. Personally thought he was vastly overrated and no where near worth £4 million that the General paid for him. His constant headlines didn't help either.

I mean no disrespect by it and normally I wouldn't say anything ill of him, but the question was labeled 'controversial'
Though I disagree with you, he was a poor defender who became an excellent midfielder for us. I also thought he was somewhat underrated until he took ill and then alot of people changed their tune of him, including those who boo'd him that night with Zenit (one of the lowest points for me watching Rangers).

McGregor is not world class, but a good keeper capable of world class moments.

Agree with @Laudrup97 . Cardoso could and should have been kept as he would have made it.

We did win 5 cups in 4 seasons though, going through in extra time, replays or penalties is infinitely preferable to crashing out. Look at our cup record recently, that kind of record we had between 2007-11 is not so easy and shouldn't be dismissed because it wasn't pretty at times or because Walter came down to the touchline when we were down to 9 men.

I tend towards this.. Gascoigne’s main focus was always his England career - above any club. You see him talk about his greatest ever teammates and it’s always England.

I don’t have a problem with it as such, but I think people need to recognise that he will say what you ask him to if it pays.

Supporters of most clubs (not just rangers) like getting their bellies scratched like a shaggy dog by players, current and former, telling them how amazing their time at the club is and how much they loved it.

Even when gerrard left there was a feeling of "but...i thought we were special?"

Its better to take it all with a pinch of salt.

All that matters is they did the job required.

A goalkeeper who produces world class moments is world class, surely?

World class gets bandied about a lot on here. Very few world class goalies in the world at any given time. Sadly I don't think McGregor has ever been in the conversation.

Stack him up against his peers past and present, during his career and he's not in that conversation imo. If he was why didn't he play for a top side in England, Germany, Italy or Spain? He had the opportunity to when he left Rangers in 2012. He went to Turkey and then after that ended up at Hull.

An excellent keeper, but World Class? Nah, not for me.

Last edited:
World class gets bandied about a lot on here. Very few world class goalies in the world at any given time. Sadly I don't think McGregor has ever been in conversation.

Stack him up against his peers past and present, during his career and he's not in that conversation imo. If he was why didn't he play for a top side in England, Germany, Italy or Spain? He had the opportunity to when he left Rangers in 2012. He went to Turkey and then after that ended up at Hull.

An excellent keeper, but World Class? Nah, not for me.
He pulls off saves that some world class goalkeepers couldn’t though, which does make me wonder.

It’s a very hard position to find variables between what’s world class and what’s not. A pinger into the top bag in the SPFL is the same as a pinger into the top bag in the EPL or Bundesliga.

He pulls off saves that some world class goalkeepers couldn’t though, which does make me wonder.

It’s a very hard position to find variables between what’s world class and what’s not. A pinger into the top bag in the SPFL is the same as a pinger into the top bag in the EPL or Bundesliga.

It's not though is it. If that was the case he'd have played at a higher level than he did. Buffon made brilliant saves against some of the most clinical attackers on the planet. As did Petr Cech and so did Manuel Neuer.

He's brilliant at one specific element of goalkeeping, the rest he's not the best at. He's an excellent goalkeeper but he wouldn't have been the number 1 at a CL winning team in his prime.

I've seen him in interviews saying his two biggest regrets are not joining Man Utd when Fergie asked him and leaving Rangers. These weren't interviews hosted by anyone affiliated with Rangers either so I think he's being genuine.

I've seen him in interviews saying his two biggest regrets are not joining Man Utd when Fergie asked him and leaving Rangers. These weren't interviews hosted by anyone affiliated with Rangers either so I think he's being genuine.
I think he clearly enjoyed one of the best periods of his career at Ibrox.
He was adored by the fans, he was a critical part of the team - but there wasn’t a dependency on him alone, and he was given the time & space to be.

I’m just never convinced that he consistently feels like that about it though. And for all that he did in club football, his international place always seemed like the priority.

The Copland actively harm the atmosphere by somehow racing 5 lines in front of the UB as songs die on their arse when we have no unified voice. 'All together now' is supposed to exactly be that not half the stadium followed by the other half a few seconds later. Sing in time, sing slower and we have never done the Icelandic Viking clap so stop speeding up before 'Every Saturday We Follow'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back