Controversial Rangers opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rangers have lost to sides in Europe which, as a result, should've seen players sold on because they weren't doing the job they for which they were brought here.

World class gets bandied about a lot on here. Very few world class goalies in the world at any given time. Sadly I don't think McGregor has ever been in conversation.

Stack him up against his peers past and present, during his career and he's not in that conversation imo. If he was why didn't he play for a top side in England, Germany, Italy or Spain? He had the opportunity to when he left Rangers in 2012. He went to Turkey and then after that ended up at Hull.

An excellent keeper, but World Class? Nah, not for me.
I think when it comes to keepers it is mainly down to box ticking. Usually the best keepers tick most boxes. In layman’s terms, McGregor’s shot stopping can be world class, but he does lack in other areas, such as distribution and command of his box.

I think when it comes to keepers it is mainly down to box ticking. Usually the best keepers tick most boxes. In layman’s terms, McGregor’s shot stopping can be world class, but he does lack in other areas, such as distribution and command of his box.
Yeah, I’d be on board with that.

I don’t think he’d have let himself down at a latter stage Champions League regular though.

We’re still terrible at being subtle and putting pressure on referees before and during games.

The mankies do it much better than us, and it’s reflected in the very generous referees they seem to get.

Agreed. PLG should have been given time, bit it's a result based business.
Time to do what? Bring in even more dross that he had already? The fact that he chose not to come and watch games whilst McLeish was still in charge was a massive own goal. He could have picked up the likes of Thomson & Brown for the money spent on the likes of Clement & Sionko. And as for Sebo......

I don't know if controversial covers it but people like you are in a minority and most normal people don't view Rangers in that way.

Especially among the younger generation. They don't care about it at all. It's been weakening for decades now.

Heck, the club don't even view Rangers through that lens anymore. Hence the club has made real strides to become more inclusive throughout my lifetime. Rangers is about being the best club in Scotland and striving to be the best they can be outwith that, in my eyes anyway. I don't care if you're Scottish, a unionist or a protestant so long as you don't use the club as a vehicle for bigoted ideas or behaviour.

Don’t think there would be anyway.

I used to be pro-monarch.

Over time my enthusiasm has dropped off and I’m now at the stage where I am completely indifferent. I wouldn’t mind this picture of the Queen being the last member of the Royal Family to hang in the Ibrox dressing room.

its almost as if 9 in a row happened all by itself
Aw, Jesus F#ck, we had the money and players to do both. One didn't have to be at the expense of the other, ffs. I expected players of that calibre to be, at the very, very least, capable of giving Grasshopper, Strasbourg and Steau Bucharest a decent game while we were dominating at home for God's Sake...

I used to be pro-monarch.

Over time my enthusiasm has dropped off and I’m now at the stage where I am completely indifferent. I wouldn’t mind this picture of the Queen being the last member of the Royal Family to hang in the Ibrox dressing room.

Support for the monarchy is a weird one. I'm amazed we still have a monarchy, well in the manner that we do. It just seems so antiquated and of touch with the modern world.

I generally don't despise them, well not all of them anyway, I'm like you indifferent and I agree. We shouldn't hang a photo of the new King. It's not a long standing tradition, as far as I'm aware anyway.

Support for the monarchy is a weird one. I'm amazed we still have a monarchy, well in the manner that we do. It just seems so antiquated and of touch with the modern world.

I generally don't despise them, well not all of them anyway, I'm like you indifferent and I agree. We shouldn't hang a photo of the new King. It's not a long standing tradition, as far as I'm aware anyway.

Pretty much how I became indifferent to them.

The Prince Andrew situation is disgusting. If it were another team fan base who backed the royal family instead of us, we’d be giving them pelters constantly about it.

This is more a general point than a Rangers specific one although it has surfaced a few times recently - I don't really have a problem with videos being uploaded of people acting like idiots or arseholes. It's never representative of the Rangers support as a whole, and anyone who would use the behaviour of a minority of twats to generalise about every Rangers fan or justify their dislike of us is a bigot themselves and their opinions are not worth considering. If you weren't involved you have nothing to apologise for and don't owe anyone an explanation for someone else's behaviour. Beyond that I have no issue with people behaving that way (eg the imbeciles singing about Kyogo on the bus) being exposed for what they are and punished accordingly.

Aw, Jesus F#ck, we had the money and players to do both. One didn't have to be at the expense of the other, ffs. I expected players of that calibre to be, at the very, very least, capable of giving Grasshopper, Strasbourg and Steau Bucharest a decent game while we were dominating at home for God's Sake...
cant have it both ways though you were not saying they were brought in for both you said they were brought in for Europe.

Where they failed almost every season.
If you subscribe to the theory that they were only brought in for europe you have a point....but they werent. Like I said 9 in a row didnt happen by itself. They were brought in for both, succeeded in one, "failed" at the other.

If you subscribe to the theory that they were only brought in for europe you have a point....but they werent. Like I said 9 in a row didnt happen by itself. They were brought in for both, succeeded in one, "failed" at the other.
Those players weren't brought solely for domestic success. They were expensively hired to make their mark in Europe at the same time.

Supporters today, 15 years later, that like to say we should have persevered with Paul Le Guen don't genuinely mean it. They're just trying to be edgy, and want to be seen as knowledgeable. It's as if they want the rest to say that if we'd followed his 'blueprint', if he even had one, we'd have avoided 2012 and it's aftermath.

Those players weren't brought solely for domestic success. They were expensively hired to make their mark in Europe at the same time.
they werent brought soley for european success either they were brought in for both.

were they successful domestically? If anything they were brought in more for the league than europe. No league..... no europe FACT. Therefore they were brought in to win the league to allow us to play in europe.

Supporters today, 15 years later, that like to say we should have persevered with Paul Le Guen don't genuinely mean it. They're just trying to be edgy, and want to be seen as knowledgeable. It's as if they want the rest to say that if we'd followed his 'blueprint', if he even had one, we'd have avoided 2012 and it's aftermath.
I have never heard a single rangers fan say that if we kept Le Guen, 2012 wouldnt have happened.

they werent brought soley for european success either they were brought in for both.

were they successful domestically? If anything they were brought in more for the league than europe. No league..... no europe FACT. Therefore they were brought in to win the league to allow us to play in europe.
You're now just repeating what I've said ya walloper....

naw you said they were brought in solely for europe.

They were brought in for both with the league being a priority .... as it always is.
I said they weren't brought in solely for domestic success which means they were brought in for both... Jesus F#ck....

I said they weren't brought in solely for domestic success which means they were brought in for both... Jesus F#ck....
"Rangers have lost to sides in Europe which, as a result, should've seen players sold on because they weren't doing the job they for which they were brought here." .................... this was your words.

Their job was to win the league that gets you into europe. You were wrong they were brought into ensure we won the league in order to compete in europe. thats the facts. The players were brought in to win leagues, win leagues they done.

Utter pish. Religion and politics have absolutely %^*& all to do with football. If you want to have those elements mentioned in historical conversations about the club, fair enough but that's as far it goes.
No, it's not utter pish.

A club is more than just what happens on the pitch. It has a history, which often includes a political history. That is undeniable.

"it's 2021"

Great argument. Not.
yup a better argument would be that the club dont want to hear any of those songs sung at the club.

I dont mind, but im different I see it as only words, I dont take offence to other clubs songs. But if the club says it doesnt want this at the club anymore there is no argument.

It’s a moot point anyway as PLG wanted away. Even he didn’t fancy being persevered with.

so you have just made a scenario up entirely in your head.

I hate it when people make things up and then say they hate when those made up things happened.
So Le Guen apologists don't exist? In their alternate reality he would've led us to glory so there's be no need for Smith to come back and spend what we didn't have.

This is more a general point than a Rangers specific one although it has surfaced a few times recently - I don't really have a problem with videos being uploaded of people acting like idiots or arseholes. It's never representative of the Rangers support as a whole, and anyone who would use the behaviour of a minority of twats to generalise about every Rangers fan or justify their dislike of us is a bigot themselves and their opinions are not worth considering. If you weren't involved you have nothing to apologise for and don't owe anyone an explanation for someone else's behaviour. Beyond that I have no issue with people behaving that way (eg the imbeciles singing about Kyogo on the bus) being exposed for what they are and punished accordingly.
I disagree. The behaviour of a large number of our fans (although admittedly a small percentage overall) on matchdays is a disgrace. I realize it's a minority but entire groups are often defined by the actions of a minority. Most environmentally conscious types aren't letting down tyres - the small amount that did reflect poorly on them as a whole. I'm sure there are dozens of other examples but I don't want to start getting into whether or not it should be merited, I feel like it is. My controversial opinion, although it really shouldn't be, is that too many of our fans have going to a game as a filler activity in their all day drinking sessions. Whether or not it's true or just my opinion, drinking Buckfast at 2pm on a Saturday afternoon - or even earlier on a Sunday - because you need or want to indicates that there's something a bit stunted in your behaviours. I lived in Edinburgh and the number of absolute morons you'd encounter giving you abuse or acting like drunken bams (on both sides of the Old Firm) reflects on the entire Rangers support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back