Copa America 2019

drgriffen

The Copa America starts on the 14th June so I'll start a thread to see if there is any interest (with Morelos not going). I'll try and keep it updated with highlights etc.......

This year sees the traditional South American powerhouses of Qatar and Japan being invited.

The wiki page is a good starting point for anyone wanting to find out more about the competition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Copa_América

D7iKlXXWwAEn1aM.jpg:large

Chile struggling to find new blood by the looks of things.

I thought not qualifying for WC2018 would have been the end of the road for a lot of those names above.

Chile struggling to find new blood by the looks of things.

I thought not qualifying for WC2018 would have been the end of the road for a lot of those names above.

Will be interesting to see how Sánchez and Vidal do - in poor form but often pull it out for their national side.

This should be a great tournament. Big pressure on Tite given Brazil are hosts and haven't won the Copa since 2007.

Argentina leave out Icardi but bring back Aguero and Di Maria. Messi leads the team - a national success in Brazil?

Will be interesting to see how Sánchez and Vidal do - in poor form but often pull it out for their national side.

This should be a great tournament. Big pressure on Tite given Brazil are hosts and haven't won the Copa since 2007.

Argentina leave out Icardi but bring back Aguero and Di Maria. Messi leads the team - a national success in Brazil?

Would you be much of a Liga MX watcher?

If so, what sort of form is Eduardo Vargas in? Am I right in saying it's mirrored his time in Europe and been more downs than ups?

Always was a fan of his from the great La U side and then with the national team but just not happened at club level since.

Would you be much of a Liga MX watcher?

If so, what sort of form is Eduardo Vargas in? Am I right in saying it's mirrored his time in Europe and been more downs than ups?

Always was a fan of his from the great La U side and then with the national team but just not happened at club level since.

Not much of a follower. I saw some of the Championship game yesterday, Vargas' Tigre winning the title with a 2nd leg 0-0 draw in Leon. He missed a 1-on-1 and was subbed after about hour.

I think he hit double figures for goal this season but inconsistent.

Not sure their best players are available for this tourney(odds suggest no) but i would always have a small wager on Japan simply because of the way they are coached to play the style of football is always nice one of the best teams to watch in world football. Sushitaka.

Winner.

Brazil 5/4
Argentina 3/1
Uruguay 11/2
Chile 10/1
Colombia 10/1
Peru 22/1
Paraguay 33/1
Ecuador 33/1
Venezuela 40/1
Japan 40/1
Bolivia 50/1
Qatar 66/1

Bookies odds tight as usual no wonder they loaded but forget Brazil way too short and Messi never wins anything at international level :)who is your bet ? (for the posters that obv know teams well)

Chile is going for 3 in a row Colombia must have some squad if Alfie cannae get in, wheres the value ?

Not sure their best players are available for this tourney(odds suggest no) but i would always have a small wager on Japan simply because of the way they are coached to play the style of football is always nice one of the best teams to watch in world football. Sushitaka.

Winner.

Brazil 5/4
Argentina 3/1
Uruguay 11/2
Chile 10/1
Colombia 10/1
Peru 22/1
Paraguay 33/1
Ecuador 33/1
Venezuela 40/1
Japan 40/1
Bolivia 50/1
Qatar 66/1

Bookies odds tight as usual no wonder they loaded but forget Brazil way too short and Messi never wins anything at international level :)who is your bet ? (for the posters that obv know teams well)

Chile is going for 3 in a row Colombia must have some squad if Alfie cannae get in, wheres the value ?

Initial thoughts (from someone who doesn't bet :D) are that Brazil should win, but I'd say Uruguay would probably give the best value - I see them as more likely winners than Argentina.

Initial thoughts (from someone who doesn't bet :D) are that Brazil should win, but I'd say Uruguay would probably give the best value - I see them as more likely winners than Argentina.

Cheers, can get 8/1 with skybet which seems alright odds....long as Suarez doesnae try to eat any of the opposition or the ref.

How has Chile won it twice, was it once at home is just by defending well and getting some luck or are they quite a strong side ?

Cheers, can get 8/1 with skybet which seems alright odds....long as Suarez doesnae try to eat any of the opposition or the ref.

How has Chile won it twice, was it once at home is just by defending well and getting some luck or are they quite a strong side ?

Chile had a good team but now are on the way down (didn't qualify for the World Cup). There's also been some in-fighting within the squad that has seen certain players not taken.

Hope Argentina win it, as their fans must be Rangers fans, as one of them tried to rip off my Rangers necklace in Buenos Aires a few weeks ago.

Colombia's Roger Martínez could miss the Copa America because he has 15 months of unpaid child support. A judge has ruled Martinez will be banned from leaving the country because he owes over US$15,000. Martínez reportedly has also never paid child support for a second of his three children.

The settlement said Martinez was due to pay 2 million pesos a month for baby expenses and 2 million towards her education. He hadn’t payed anything for 15 months despite earning millions in Mexico.

His salary has been embargoed and he can not leave the country until the issue has been resolved. His legal team is now obviously in panic mode and looking to settle the debt as quickly as possible. Colombia play in Peru on Sunday and we will have to see if they can resolve it.

For US bears watching stateside....
ESPN has picked up the English-language rights to the tournament.

United States -
TV: Telemundo, Universo (Spanish).
Online streaming: ESPN3, ESPN+, WatchESPN (English); Universo NOW, Telemundo Deportes En Vivo, fuboTV (Spanish)
On-demand: ESPN+ (English); fuboTV (Spanish)

Bears in Canada can watch on TSN..

Canada -
TV: TSN
Online streaming: TSN GO
On-demand: TSN GO

Last edited:
Don't forget that the African Nations Cup 2019 hosted by Egypt also starts in June until July and is free on Eurosport. Also CONCACAF Gold Cup 2019 also is on FreeSports in June and July.

I had posted dates and times of these and COPA America 2019 (not free subscription required) a few days ago but I don't know how to retrieve the thread. Anyway a good summer of football ahead some of it free in UK.

Last edited:
it is mate...
4.99 a month but the channel carries a ton of football & well worth the money..
ESPN network probably the will air college softball and ten pin bowling instead...:oops:

Fox will carry the Gold Cup and the Women's World Cup

African nations will be on BEIN...

Isn't ESPN+ a paid/subscription channel?

Looks like I'll be watching in Spanish.

The Copa America starts on the 14th June so I'll start a thread to see if there is any interest (with Morelos not going). I'll try and keep it updated with highlights etc.......

This year sees the traditional South American powerhouses of Qatar and Japan being invited.

The wiki page is a good starting point for anyone wanting to find out more about the competition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Copa_América

Why are these nations involved? They’re clearly governed by a different FIFA region?

Weird choice surely USA and Canada are in the America’s? Appreciate there’s another competition they’re in but I’m sure you catch my drift!

This is the first time that no team from CONCACAF has been invited (since invitations have been offered). Don't know the reason why.

Back