Copa America 2021 - Live on the BBC

Something far wrong when morelos can't even make the squad never mind the team. See the boy from river is starting upfront

E4q9ov7WUAwgB48

Am I reading this correctly looking at the tables on livescore: 4 out of 5 group teams qualify for the next round? …. Surely to fcuk not?

Am I reading this correctly looking at the tables on livescore: 4 out of 5 group teams qualify for the next round? …. Surely to fcuk not?
Yeah, like I said earlier it’s almost impossible to not qualify.

There’s usually 12 teams though, Qatar and Australia pulled out, so this was the only feasible way to have even groups.

It is indeed the case.

There were supposed to be 6 teams per group but the two invited teams pulled out due to covid.

Ohh jeez … seems like waste of time watching all these group games :)

Could say the same about the Euros where 4 third placed teams qualified. :)

This tournament is about money for CONMEBOL and (initially) trying to show the world it could host a big tournament prior to the World Cup hosting being decided for 2030. Unfortunately, the football is an aside.

Ohh jeez … seems like waste of time watching all these group games :)

For the 2026 World Cup, 6 teams from the 10 will automatically qualify. The qualification process is diluted further. It'll be interesting to see whether nations use games to blood new talent.

The Colombian Football Federation have filed an official complaint requesting the immediate suspension of last night's referee, Néstor Pitana, after allowing Brazil's controversial equaliser despite the ball striking the ref in the goal's build up.

The reason given was that possession remained with the same team. But the video clearly shows it was going to a Colombian.

I have a little sympathy for Pitana because he was expecting assistance from the VAR.

They should have invited Guyana and Suriname to make up the numbers rather than the usual random invites. I reckon Suriname might give Bolivia a good game to be honest.

Back