Copa del Rey Shocker

Bigeye

European giants Real Madrid were handed a humiliating Copa del Rey last-32 defeat by third division outfit Alcoyano - who were down to 10 men.

Zinedine Zidane's side took the lead through defender Eder Militao but Jose Solbes took the tie to extra time.

Alcoyano - who play in Segunda Division B - had Ramon Lopez sent off for a second booking but earned a famous win when Juanan stole in at the near post.

"I take responsibility and whatever has to happen will happen," Zidane said.

Club legend Zidane has won three Champions League titles as a manager but is under pressure, with his side four points behind La Liga leaders Atletico Madrid - who have two games in hand.

Really? Would they not have been about 1/30?
Although it’s obviously a shock it wasn’t that big from a betting perspective, they went off about 1/6 for 90 minutes. Were 1/4 to qualify at start of extra time. Atletico were about 1/8 to win in 90 when they went out earlier this month.

Imagine a Real forum after that result :eek:
Love a good cup upset, who doesn't. I think it's France who routinely have amateur sides dumping out the big sides, teams from tier 8 getting to Quarters is what we all want!

Switched it off last night at 0-0, sound as if I missed a cracker. In fairness it was like watching us versus East-Fife!

Imagine a Real forum after that result :eek:
Love a good cup upset, who doesn't. I think it's France who routinely have amateur sides dumping out the big sides, teams from tier 8 getting to Quarters is what we all want!
Bayern got horsed out the German cup on penalties by a lower league team last week,

I watched some of the game last night and Real had a strong enough team out, Bayern were the same last week.

Always thought that about a Barcelona even more so after we played them can I ask why you feel this way about Real Madrid.

Doesn’t matter what a player has done for the club the fans will turn on them eventually. There isn’t a club with fans as fickle as Real Madrid.

Although it’s obviously a shock it wasn’t that big from a betting perspective, they went off about 1/6 for 90 minutes. Were 1/4 to qualify at start of extra time. Atletico were about 1/8 to win in 90 when they went out earlier this month.
I was buckled at the atleti game, the pitch was genuinely like the same size & as good as the sevens pitch at the Pitz in Paisley :))

Having sat among the home support at both grounds I found the Bernabeu atmosphere a lot more vocal and animated than the morgue that was the Nou Camp.
What I will say is that Barca fans absolutely adored Messi and the Real fans didn’t universally acclaim Ronaldo, this was a game where he scored but also missed a penalty.

Having sat among the home support at both grounds I found the Bernabeu atmosphere a lot more vocal and animated than the morgue that was the Nou Camp.
What I will say is that Barca fans absolutely adored Messi and the Real fans didn’t universally acclaim Ronaldo, this was a game where he scored but also missed a penalty.
Found them both pretty tame really but only been in them this century a few times, imagine it was very different in the 80s and 90s. Real actually had to set up a singing section didn't they but that was also because of Ultras Sur being banned I think.

That whole cup is a fucking sham, Atletico also knocked out to 3rd division team for second year running, Eibar two up last round against lower league opposition, then go through in extra time only to be knocked out the following round to a third division team, now Real Madrid knocked out. And you think the English FA Cup has lost its prestige, jeeez

I saw Real at Ibrox back in '63. My first ever floodlight game. The aggregate scoreline was not good for us.

Favourite one is Germany really, way it allows all the smaller Clubs to be at home in the early rounds with a decent chance of getting a big name and it also makes the State/County Cups very interesting with the Winners getting in - sure it boosts local crowds a hell of a lot. Having said that the English FA Cup is still a great competition until the big boys arrive really.

Favourite one is Germany really, way it allows all the smaller Clubs to be at home in the early rounds with a decent chance of getting a big name and it also makes the State/County Cups very interesting with the Winners getting in - sure it boosts local crowds a hell of a lot. Having said that the English FA Cup is still a great competition until the big boys arrive really.
Can you explain this a wee bit more mate, that actually sounds interesting

have you not seen them with waving their wee white hankies after a defeat?

if they arent horrible, they are certainly entitled wee lambs who should be mocked

Defo less dangerous than waving large metal barriers around.

Can you explain this a wee bit more mate, that actually sounds interesting
To be honest it is all on wiki mate but this is the crux of it:

Participation

The ***-Pokal begins with a round of 64 teams. The 36 teams of the Bundesliga and 2. Bundesliga, along with the top four finishers of the 3. Liga are automatically qualified for the tournament. Of the remaining slots 21 are given to the cup winners of the regional football associations, the Verbandspokale. The three remaining slots are given to the three regional associations with the most men's teams. They may assign the slot as they see fit but usually give it to the runner-up in the association cup.

As every team taking part in the German football league system is entitled to participate in local tournaments which qualify for the association cups, every team can, in principle, compete in the ***-Pokal. The only exception is that reserve teams (e.g. Bayern Munich II) are ineligible to enter.

Seeding

For the first round, the 64 teams are split into two pots of 32. One pot contains the 18 teams from the previous season of the Bundesliga and the top 14 teams from the previous season of the 2. Bundesliga. The other pot contains the bottom 4 teams from the previous season of the 2. Bundesliga, the top 4 teams from the previous season of the 3. Liga and the 24 amateur teams that qualified through regional football tournaments. Teams from one pot are drawn against teams from the other pot. Since 1982, teams from the pot containing amateur teams have played the game at home.

For the second round, the teams are again divided into two pots according to the same principles. Depending on the results of the first round, the pots might not be equal in terms of number. Teams from one pot are drawn against teams from the other pot until one pot is empty. The remaining teams are then drawn against each other with the team first drawn playing the game at home.

For the remaining rounds, other than the final, the teams are drawn from one pot. Since 1985 the final has been held in the Olympic Stadium in Berlin.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess the big difference to say the FA Cup is there are only 64 teams in it, so less teams are in it but that does make the local County Cups much more interesting I would say as more interest will be in them from support and locals if Clubs know if they win it then they will have a home tie more than likely against a big Club in the 1st round of the Pokal. Of course some States always have the same representative now mind - Hansa Rostock will have represented Mecklenburg Vorpommern for years now as a result of winning their County Cup.

Some decent attendances for the Finals really, given many are amateur Clubs.

Last edited:
To be honest it is all on wiki mate but this is the crux of it:

Participation

The ***-Pokal begins with a round of 64 teams. The 36 teams of the Bundesliga and 2. Bundesliga, along with the top four finishers of the 3. Liga are automatically qualified for the tournament. Of the remaining slots 21 are given to the cup winners of the regional football associations, the Verbandspokale. The three remaining slots are given to the three regional associations with the most men's teams. They may assign the slot as they see fit but usually give it to the runner-up in the association cup.

As every team taking part in the German football league system is entitled to participate in local tournaments which qualify for the association cups, every team can, in principle, compete in the ***-Pokal. The only exception is that reserve teams (e.g. Bayern Munich II) are ineligible to enter.

Seeding

For the first round, the 64 teams are split into two pots of 32. One pot contains the 18 teams from the previous season of the Bundesliga and the top 14 teams from the previous season of the 2. Bundesliga. The other pot contains the bottom 4 teams from the previous season of the 2. Bundesliga, the top 4 teams from the previous season of the 3. Liga and the 24 amateur teams that qualified through regional football tournaments. Teams from one pot are drawn against teams from the other pot. Since 1982, teams from the pot containing amateur teams have played the game at home.

For the second round, the teams are again divided into two pots according to the same principles. Depending on the results of the first round, the pots might not be equal in terms of number. Teams from one pot are drawn against teams from the other pot until one pot is empty. The remaining teams are then drawn against each other with the team first drawn playing the game at home.

For the remaining rounds, other than the final, the teams are drawn from one pot. Since 1985 the final has been held in the Olympic Stadium in Berlin.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess the big difference to say the FA Cup is there are only 64 teams in it, so less teams are in it but that does make the local County Cups much more interesting I would say as more interest will be in them from support and locals if Clubs know if they win it then they will have a home tie more than likely against a big Club in the 1st round of the Pokal. Of course some States always have the same representative now mind - Hansa Rostock will have represented Mecklenburg Vorpommern for years now as a result of winning their County Cup.

Some decent attendances for the Finals really, given many are amateur Clubs.
That sounds pretty good. Imagine trying in Scotland tho!

It's Vallecano in Madrid and Sant Andreu in Barcelona who are really keen on Celtic really.

Always thought that about a Barcelona even more so after we played them can I ask why you feel this way about Real Madrid.

Most entitled fans in the world. No appreciation for club legends at all.

Casillas was shafted. Never even got a send off. Raul was booed by the home fans, as was Ronaldo at various points in his career.

Best atmosphere I've ever been in was the Barca - Liverpool Champions League semi final. The noise was deafening.

The Copa Del Rey used to be a two-legged affair until it was changed last season.Like the German cup in the early rounds the “minnows” have home advantage.

The Copa Del Rey used to be a two-legged affair until it was changed last season.Like the German cup in the early rounds the “minnows” have home advantage.
Think it is all rounds bar the semi and final ain't it where the team in the lower division gets the home advantage in Copa Del Rey?

Back