Copa Libertadores 2018

Great result for Gremio in enemy territory last nigt inkeeping with there Libertadores run..,, Vamos tricolor!

Indeed, although reading the reports (didn't watch it) suggests it was a pretty even game considering Independiente played with 10 men for 60 minutes.

Hopefully, this indicates a competitive second leg.

Indeed, although reading the reports (didn't watch it) suggests it was a pretty even game considering Independiente played with 10 men for 60 minutes.

Hopefully, this indicates a competitive second leg.
Fantastic atmosphere in the stadium and no little skill on display either. I get the impression that the Recopa is held in far more esteem than Europe's Super Cup. The second leg should be worth watching.

Fantastic atmosphere in the stadium and no little skill on display either. I get the impression that the Recopa is held in far more esteem than Europe's Super Cup. The second leg should be worth watching.

Independiente were allowed to postpone their weekend game prior to yesterday's match. Not 100% about this weekend's game but I'm pretty sure they've been allowed to postpone that as well.

What a game in La Paz. Vasco won the first leg 4-0 but the tie ended up going to penalties. JW fans will be having nightmares about the late sitter they missed:

Penalty shootout:

What a game in La Paz. Vasco won the first leg 4-0 but the tie ended up going to penalties. JW fans will be having nightmares about the late sitter they missed:

Penalty shootout:

Just shows you how strong these Bolivian teams are at home with the altitude! Actually think the game was in Sucre which is lower than La Paz

Just shows you how strong these Bolivian teams are at home with the altitude! Actually think the game was in Sucre which is lower than La Paz

You're right, thanks for clarifying. :)

Game was played at the Estadio Olimpico Patria in Sucre:

Estadioolimpicopatria.jpg

Final qualifier saw Guarani draw 0-0 with Atletico Junior. This meant the latter qualified. All the results from the second legs:

http://www.livescore.com/soccer/south-america/copa-libertadores-primera-fase/

You'll find a list of all the groups and fixtures here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Copa_Libertadores_group_stage

Opening round of the group stages starts on the 27th February.

Some of the better opening round matches include:

Colo Colo v Atletico Nacional

Flamengo v River Plate

Racing v Cruzeiro

Vasco v Universidad de Chile

Nacional v Estudiantes

(And to keep all the Boca fan boys happy :D) Allianza Lima v Boca

Group 5 looks like being the group of death with Group 3 being the weakest (even though it includes The Strongest :rolleyes:).

Here's hoping for some good football, lots of shocks and the usual cluster fcuks.

And, I will add: feel free to highlight any matches you think look interesting, videos of games etc......:)

Last edited:
CONMEBOL confirm that from 2019 the Libertadores final will be a one off game. Some points about this change are:

- One off final at venue decided beforehand
- Final to be played on a Saturday rather than midweek
- Teams to receive $2m plus 25% each of gate receipts

The cities being considered for the 2019 final are Lima and Santiago. But after this there is a possibility that cities in the United States may be considered - nothing surprises me about SA football, but this would be a disgrace if this happened.

Great result for Atletico Nacional as they defeated Colo Colo (the tem with one of the best badges in football) in Santiago.

One for the statto's:

Martinez is only the second player to score a hattrick for an Argentine club against a Brazilian club in a Libertadores match. The first was Guillermo Barros Schelotto in 2003 (Boca v Paysandu).

TYpically goal of the night was scored in the one game whose highlights I didn't watch. Excellent volley by Insaurralde in Cerro Porteno's victory against Monagas.

Just lying in bed think I will watch the Flamengo-River game come on Flamengo!!!

Millonarios V Corinthians is on at the same time.

Heard Atletico and Real Madrid have been watching him.

Martinez has admitted he's spoken to Inter, but he says he hasn't signed anything yet. If rich clubs aren't looking at him then they will be regretting it in the future.

Didn't realise the Flamengo - River game had to be played in an empty stadium due to incidents in last season's Sudamericana. I appreciate I've only seen the highlights but it seems to kill the game. Reading reports it appears to have been a terrible match with 4 goals. Obviously, River will be the happier of the teams, especially in their current form.

Domestically, and I can only really speak for Argentina, I'd say there were a comparable amount of goals as you would get in a European league.

In Continental competitions I'd say that there was less of a gap between the top teams and those of (supposedly) less quality. I also think away teams are more likely to be more defensive compared to the Champions or Europa league.

I don't know the stats so they may help to explain (if the gap is as big as you suggest).

Edit: I'd also say you have the impact of travel (Independiente's journey to Venezuela is the equivalent of a UK team travelling to Mumbai) and at times the effects of altitude (may be part of the reason Real Garcilaso beat Santos). This can lead to the away team being more cautious.

Last edited:
CONMEBOL confirm that from 2019 the Libertadores final will be a one off game. Some points about this change are:

- One off final at venue decided beforehand
- Final to be played on a Saturday rather than midweek
- Teams to receive $2m plus 25% each of gate receipts

The cities being considered for the 2019 final are Lima and Santiago. But after this there is a possibility that cities in the United States may be considered - nothing surprises me about SA football, but this would be a disgrace if this happened.
Money, TV rights sponsorship etc come before a lot of things in that nevk of the woods unfortunatley but I agree it would be a disgrace to the tournament

Some Sudamericana highlights:

Excellent 3-0 victory for Defensa away in colombia against America De Cali. Especially wehn you consider that they lost the first leg 1-0.

Rampla Juniors came from losing the first leg 2-0 to go through 4-2 on aggregate against Peruvians Cajamarca.

And Sport Huancayo defeated Union Espanola 3-0. Howler from the keeper for the first, but tmust admit the ball did take some bounce.

All this week's results:

http://www.livescore.com/soccer/south-america/copa-sudamericana-1a-fase/

I notice that Cerro Porteno are managed by Luis Zubeldia who was the youngest manager (27) in the history of Argentina's Primera. He's had 8 clubs in the last 10 years so not sure how good a manager he is - he had a spell in Spain, with Alaves, so some on here may know how he was regarded?

You wont see a goal as good as Ronaldo's but you might see a dog run on to the pitch and chase after the ball. The first game in tonight's Libertadores is Libertad (Par) v The Strongest (Bol).

DZ42K8uXkAA4GPo.jpg

DZ436jsXUAAcIgg.jpg

DZ3_OY8XUAAqztH.jpg:large

Subscribed to fanatiz.com site. Only $9.99 per month and worth it for all that they offer, including all Libertadores games.

Heading to bed soon but will need to sign up as the streams are excellent quality.

As always the big downside are the kick off times. :(

You wont see a goal as good as Ronaldo's but you might see a dog run on to the pitch and chase after the ball. The first game in tonight's Libertadores is Libertad (Par) v The Strongest (Bol).

DZ42K8uXkAA4GPo.jpg

DZ436jsXUAAcIgg.jpg

DZ3_OY8XUAAqztH.jpg:large
In Brazil at the moment and will be watching this, pity Gremio are away tomorrow

Back