Copa Libertadores 2018

0-0 in Peru, where Nacional can't really afford to lose at Garcilaso. The Peruvian side were only formed in 2009, one hundred and ten years after the founding of their illustrious Uruguayan opponents.

1-0 Libertad with 30 minutes to go. Entertaining game.

EDIT: 3-0 win for Libertdad. They looked a tidy outfit.

0-0 final result at Garcilaso where Nacional had a chance in injury time to nab the win - shot blasted over, though.

Last edited:
Gremio are at home tonight! After being told the first tie is away.
Will try and get a ticket today....

Good luck getting a ticket - is there big demand to see them playing Monagas?

Could be one of your last chances to see Luan and Arthur before they make their moves to Europe - I assume they'll go this Summer.

Tonight's fixtures:

DZ6DOOIW0AAFbC7.jpg:large

DZ4MQGzXkAEiMsi.jpg:large

DZzjsNkW0AAGOkQ.jpg:large

DZ8TDt6W4AA2WYz.jpg

Penarol 1-0 Tucuman.

Penarol keeper is called Kevin Dawson, presumably British heritage somewhere in the family.

EDIT
3-1 to Penarol in an entertaining game. Tucuman made it 2-1 to gave their small band of support hope. However, missed chances and a third from the Uruguayans leave Tuc with 0 pts from the opening two games.

Last edited:
Junior coming closest in the opening 20 minutes vs. Boca. Plenty of possession from the home side but struggling to create any opportunities.

When the cameras scanned around the stadium prior to kick-off, it looked as though there is a small section of Junior supporters in the upper deck. That'll be fun for them getting out after the game!

EDIT: 1-0 at half-time to Boca, who dominated as the half progressed. Great goal from Pavon, receiving the ball on the edge of the box on the left, before cutting in onto his right and curling a low drive. Boca defence still looking suspect.

Last edited:
Wednesday's highlights:

Hopefully Bluetonic will be able to give us a match report once he has recovered from his celebratory hangover. :D

Pavon making the difference for Boca once again:

Wednesday's highlights:

Hopefully Bluetonic will be able to give us a match report once he has recovered from his celebratory hangover. :D

Pavon making the difference for Boca once again:

Never made it, the wife had booked dinner with her friends etc ...gutted as the Arena was empty, but watched the game as we ate, poor first half, better second half

Never made it, the wife had booked dinner with her friends etc ...gutted as the Arena was empty, but watched the game as we ate, poor first half, better second half

Blow you couldn't make the game, but no doubt the second half performance added to the quality of the meal.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

River fans making their way to tonight's match with Santa Fe.

Dejo todo lo que tengo que hacer, me voy a ver a River Plate.

(The above is a line from a River song which is sort of an equivalent to our Every other Saturday......with some added insults for Boca fans. :D And I will add, River's official twitter account used the above line knowing full well what follows.)

DaC9bLQXUAEU66A.jpg:large

Last edited:
Next up in this Copa Libertadores double bill, Estudantes v Santos( Argentina v Brazil) hopefully it gets tasty

Not a bad game, feels like it might boil over. The ref is letting a lot of dodgy tackles go.

As an aside during this half-time break, we've just finished watching a Brazilian show on Netflix - The Mechanism, highlighting (alleged and unsurprising) government corruption. I thought it was excellent and it apparently has been causing a bit of controversy:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/world/americas/brazil-netflix-lula-corruption.html
It sure has , not watched it yet but apparently millions of Brazilians have cancelled there Netflix subscriptions due to the slant of the show and the ex president Lula and his supporters, runs quite deep here

Result ,Estudiantes 0 Santos 1, Santos did most of the work in the first half, Estudiantes just didn't have the cutting edge in the second, although the Santos keeper kept them in it with a couple of great saves.
Santos top the group

Didnt see the goal because I only watched from about the 30th minute, but seeing it in the highlights at fulltime there it was a couple of yards offside.

Excellent win for Santos in a tight group. Estudiantes missed some great chances, though.

Really enjoyed the games from the last few evenings.

As an aside during this half-time break, we've just finished watching a Brazilian show on Netflix - The Mechanism, highlighting (alleged and unsurprising) government corruption. I thought it was excellent and it apparently has been causing a bit of controversy:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/world/americas/brazil-netflix-lula-corruption.html
It sure has , not watched it yet but apparently millions of Brazilians have cancelled there Netflix subscriptions due to the slant of the show and the ex president Lula and his supporters, runs quite deep here

Thanks for highlighting this show. Hadn't heard of it - it looks interesting so will give it a watch.

The front page of today's BA Times:

DaI8nYKXcAUje60.jpg:large

He's hiding up in one of the union( where he made his name) buildings weighing up his next move.
Its all over the news and has had more coverage than the Libertadores and thats saying something:D

Enjoy the drama - probably better than one of those Brazilain soaps they delay the football for. :D

Only one Libertadores tie this week (don't know why) but there are a number of Sudamericana matches. Wont be posting much about them, but some teams are playing who I had never heard of:

Boston River: named after a tailors and River Plate (obviously):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_River

Audax Italiano: a team in Chile founded by Italian immigrants:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audax_Italiano

Club Blooming:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_Blooming

All this week's ties:

http://www.livescore.com/soccer/south-america/

Really looking forward to this evening's game.

A long history between the clubs stretching back to a friendly in 1935. 4 draws in their last meetings in the Libertadores though there was a painful 6-1 defeat for Boca in Sao Paulo in the mid-nineties.

Really looking forward to this evening's game.

A long history between the clubs stretching back to a friendly in 1935. 4 draws in their last meetings in the Libertadores though there was a painful 6-1 defeat for Boca in Sao Paulo in the mid-nineties.

Too late for me, but hopefully it is a good game. Will be a tough match for Boca.

Highlights of that 6-1 match (a young Roberto Carlos getting his typical tap in):

And highlights of the 2001 Libertadores semi-final second leg which ended up going to penalties:

Watching Palmeiras V Boca on the last week of my Brazil trip, hope its a good one.
I actually quite like that Palmeiras strip:eek:

Back