Copa Libertadores 2018

Some atmosphere in this game, similar to the Rio campenato at the weekend between Botafogo and Vasco at the Maracana, the noise levels were unreal

1-1 final score with a manic last six minutes with Boca scoring in added on time( 4 minutes) Tevez off the bar and in from 3 yards.Palmeiras took the lead only 2 minutes before, and top the group but Boca will be the happier of the two.

Highlights of Palmeiras - Boca.

DajL6voW0AYbfQ7.jpg:large

In 1948 Vaso won the Campeonato Sudamericano de Campeones which was the predecessor to the Libertadores. Due to this Vasco are considered the first club champions of South America - not Penarol (1960) who i thought it was.

The other teams involved were National Champions: River (Argentina), Nacional (Uruguay), Deportivo Municipal (Peru) and Colo Colo (Chile). Colombia sent no team, Vasco, as Rio state champs, Litoral, La Paz champions, and Emelec as Guayaquil leaders went to Santiago.

The tournament was played in a league format with everybody playing against each other.

The winning team:

DbAYiURXkAEjiFa.jpg:large

Just switched on to find Racing 3-0 Vasco after 55 minutes. And there's a 4th. Rather soft penalty, coolly dispatched.

That's a big win for River Plate, especially as they've still to go to Santa Fe.In Boca's group, Junior won in Lima - next week's round of games will be very interesting.

That's a big win for River Plate, especially as they've still to go to Santa Fe.In Boca's group, Junior won in Lima - next week's round of games will be very interesting.

Will be interesting as Boca have to play Palmeiras before they next meet Junior. They should have enough quality, but this is the Libertadores so you never know.

Apart from the odd exception most groups look competitive. Surprised at how poorly Cruzeiro and Vasco are doing in Group E - been really impressed with Racing.

I should really try and catch a game here in Chile, can see the Universidad de Chile stadium from my house.

Don't know that much about Chilean football, but I read that the 'pundits' have been disappointed about how Chilean teams have been doing in the Libertadores. Universidad are second (in a tough group), but Colo Colo have been poor and Satiago Wanderers and Universidad de Concepcion didn't make the group stages.

If you get to a game, have a great time and let us know what it was like. :)

Boca - Palmeiras underway and the Brazilians have started the brighter of the two, coming close. Looks like a decent away support in the stadium.

Great win for Tucuman earlier this evening, 3-0 at home to The Strongest. It puts them in a good position to finish at least third and progress into the Sudamericana.

Boca 0-1 Palmeiras at half-time. Entertaining game with both teams having chances, including a sitter from Wanchope shortly after Boca had fallen behind.

Poor defending again for the goal.

0-0 in the two other games being played at the moment, including Santa Fe - Flamengo. I have vague memories of Flamengo 3-0 Liverpool in the Intercontinental Cup in 1981: the year Flamengo and Zico ruled the world:

http://www.worldsoccer.com/blogs/when-flamengo-and-zico-ruled-the-world-341585

Last edited:
A farcical 2nd goal given up by Boca, leading to jeers for Rossi. All eyes on Junior this evening to see if they can take advantage.

River Plate struggling here, 60 minutes gone and 0-0.

In the other tie being played now it's Cruzeiro 5-0 Universidad de Chile. I haven't seen any of this but two Chileans sent off.

Both these results would tighten up their respective groups. The way it's heading, we'll have a host of dramatic games in the remaining rounds.

EDIT: And just as I type, River score! Great turn and strike from Pratto, though perhaps the keeper could have done better.

:D Just brilliant from Martinez. One-on-one with the keeper and he nonchalantly chips it over the keeper, what a finish - can't help but smile. 2-0.

EDIT: 2-1 final result with Emelec scoring in injury time, lovely finish. They'll be rueing missed opportunities earlier in the half. 7-0 in Brazil. Ouch.

Last edited:
Back