Copa Libertadores 2018

Really looking forward to this.

Libertad have got off to a slow start sitting bottom of the Paraguayan League after 2 defeats, albeit by one goal in each, and 2 draws (one of those against Cerro Porteño who are top on 8pts).

High pressure for Boca given squad investment and expectations.

Must admit I was impressed by Libertad whenever I saw them in their group matches. They weren't outstanding but looked a good team. The killer is the mid-competition break as you never know how teams will cope with all the changes.

Who do we see progressing? My selections in bold:

Racing - River
Colo-Colo vs. Corinithians
Flamengo
vs. Cruzeiro
Estudiantes vs. Gremio
Boca Juniors
vs. Libertad
Tucuman vs. Atlético Nacional
Porteño
vs. Palmeiras
Independiente vs. Santos

Pretty fair selection. Maybe Palmeiras but that tie could go either way.

The Libertadores resumes tonight:

DkAiLC5X0AA5HHc.jpg:large

Doubt I'll be up for this one, tough game in La Plata tonight, although Gremio on the back of a 2-0 win over Flamengo on Saturday bodes well...vai Gremo!

I doubt Estudiantes will be playing an open, expansive game. Has a low scoring draw written all over it - obviously now going to be a high-scoring thriller.

I'll post highlights in the morning.

Here's hoping for another Battle of La Plata, a 1983 Copa match between the two:

The result left Estudiantes needing to win vs. America in Colombia to clinch a place in the Final. They could only draw. Gremio progressed and won the Final vs. Penarol, their first Libertadores success.

Gremio then went on to beat Hamburg in the Intercontinental Cup in Toyko.

Last edited:
I doubt Estudiantes will be playing an open, expansive game. Has a low scoring draw written all over it - obviously now going to be a high-scoring thriller.

:) Estudiantes 2-1 Gremio at half-time.

Gremio are the more accomplished side but Estudiantes have them rattled, getting in among them. Indeed the opener came from the Argentines winning the ball back and Apaolaza scoring a peach - he looks very raw but a real handful. Zuqui also playing well.

Estudiantes should have had a penalty for handball. From the resultant corner, Campi glances home. Gremio pull one back just before half-time as they begin to assert themselves. It won't be surprise if they come back to win this. Perhaps a little complacency at the outset.

Highly enjoyable 45 minutes including a bit of needle.

:) Estudiantes 2-1 Gremio at half-time.

Gremio are the more accomplished side but Estudiantes have them rattled, getting in among them. Indeed the opener came from the Argentines winning the ball back and Apaolaza scoring a peach - he looks very raw but a real handful. Zuqui also playing well.

Estudiantes should have had a penalty for handball. From the resultant corner, Campi glances home. Gremio pull one back just before half-time as they begin to assert themselves. It won't be surprise if they come back to win this. Perhaps a little complacency at the outset.

Highly enjoyable 45 minutes including a bit of needle.

You watching tonight's game? Too late for me.

Looking at the Boca squad it really is formidable (and this is without the injured Gago and Benedetto).

You watching tonight's game? Too late for me.

Looking at the Boca squad it really is formidable (and this is without the injured Gago and Benedetto).

It's a squad that tonight is also missing Izquierdoz and Olaza.

I'll be curious to see how the team deals with the expectation and will definitely be watching the game. The newspaper talk is that Schelotto will go if they don't win with Angelici also coming under serious scrutiny as he enters the final year of his presidency. He's spent $65 million and signed 38 players in the pursuit of the Copa.

Rumours also that Tevez will retire if Boca win Copa... or move to Velez to be with Heinze.

On last night, a great performance from Estuadiantes and they done well to see out the last 15 minutes with 10 men. Stupid 2nd yellow for Zuqui though not sure how much contact was made on the tackle.

The most undervalued football tournament in the world. It should be compulsory for it to be shown on UK terrestrial television.

Boca team:

1.Andrada 29.Jara 2.Goltz 6.Magallán 3.Mas 8.P.Pérez 16.Barrios 7.Pavón 19.Zárate 10.Cardona 17.Ábila - setting up as a 4-2-3-1.

Tevez on the bench. Wind and heavy rain in BA.

Last edited:
Wanchope in the 7th minute!! Libertad unable to deal with a free-kick swung into the box, breaks to Ábila who fires it home.

Awful conditions.

EDIT: 2-0 at half-time. Zarate scoring just before half-time, cutting in from the right and a lovely finish with the left foot.

Libertad might feel a little aggrieved given their possession. They are, though, struggling to create any opportunities.

Last edited:
Boca win 2-0!

They might be disappointed at not killing the tie completely with their 2nd half chances. At the same time, however, relieved not to have conceded - Libertad striking the bar in injury time along with a couple of other opportunities.

Thanks Brooklyn.

Good win for Boca but it looks like they should have made the second leg so much more comfortable. An early goal for Libertad and it could be interesting. As a neutral (honest :D) it would have made the second leg much more exciting if that last minute shot had gone it.

I will add, it's interesting to see Tevez finishing his career with Boca as backup to Zarate.

Good away win for Cruzeiro. Should have been a lot more goals in this tie and Flamengo looked to have a stonewall penalty denied.

Disappointed in that as I was hoping for a Boca-Flamengo quarter-final. Looks like Flamengo lack a little quality in the final third - and I agree on the penalty.

No

No Ecuadorian teams. Very sad to see. On a downward spiral at present. Heard whispers of the next national team manager being at the world cup.

Don't know that much about Ecuadorian football but they (Delfin and Emelec) didn't really impress in the group stages. Delfin were a bit unlucky even though they finished bottom of their group but Emelec did absolutely nothing.

If you know a bit about the game their keep us updated.:)

Last edited:
Bit unlucky with the disallowed goal but Racing will feel they should have done better after playing 45 against 10 men:

Thanks for the highlights, Dr - I didn't manage to catch any of the games yesterday.

What a result for Tucuman and a great finish for the opener. Looking at the stats, they only had 23% possession and had 182 passes in comparison to 596. But they certainly made it count!

Thanks for the highlights, Dr - I didn't manage to catch any of the games yesterday.

What a result for Tucuman and a great finish for the opener. Looking at the stats, they only had 23% possession and had 182 passes in comparison to 596. But they certainly made it count!

Didn't know about those stats. They are incredible, but does highlight what really counts. Will still be tough in Colombia but no doubt their fans will be enjoying the moment - their first Libertadores knockout match.

CONMEBOL confirm that the 2019 Libertadores final will be played in Santiago, with the Sudamericana final being held in Lima.

I see that very few 'big guns' fell at group stage...that seems unusual although we're used to it in CL. Is it true to say that despite its reputation as being 'wide open' money does still talk in Libertadores? Are there less 'shocks' these days?

I see that very few 'big guns' fell at group stage...that seems unusual although we're used to it in CL. Is it true to say that despite its reputation as being 'wide open' money does still talk in Libertadores? Are there less 'shocks' these days?

Anything can happen in one year so I wouldn't base any trend on a sample size of one, but it
may become more common. Reason being, the Libertadores and Sudamericana are now played over a calender year. Previously, they would be played over a 6 month period with more games (and travel) than a Champions League campaign. Add in, that most of the 'big' clubs are putting Continental trophies over domestic wins and it makes shocks less likely. It's only really Boca and some of the Brazilian clubs who have squads big enough to fight on both fronts.

Time will tell, but despite what I said above I still think we will see shocks aplenty in the years to come - one shouldn't underestimate how badly some of these clubs are run. :D

Last edited:
Back