Copa Libertadores 2018

drgriffen

Last edited:
You'd have thought BT would buy highlights package: cheap, fills a time slot, and opens up a new market.

I just don't think there is the demand. Lets take FF as an example: how many posters read the 2017 Libertadores thread? How many people listened to the Pod, previewing the final, compared to others?

I find it sad because this is the most competitive, interesting and fcuked up cup competition going but apart from an interested (insane) few, outside South America, nobody really cares.

Last edited:
It is far better than CL because a lot of the 'traditional giants' f*** it right up, and there is always a surprise...every single season.

If anyone is interested the qualifiers for this years Libertadores start this week. I'll post highlights, throughout the tournament, of certain games, but due to the amount, not all. If you are interested in a particular team then feel free to post highlights of their games.

The opening ties are on the 22nd January:

http://www.livescore.com/soccer/south-america/copa-libertadores-primera-fase/

Unlike the Champions League here's hoping for an exciting and unpredictable tournament.

Looking at the opening three fixtures of this years Libertadores I noticed there were a couple of teams I had never heard of (Macara and Oriente Petrolero). That being the case, I decided to have a brief read of all the teams involved today. I learned a few things about the clubs and football in those countries.

Might be of interest to others (teams listed in match order):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montevideo_Wanderers_F.C.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_Olimpia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.S.D._Macará

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportivo_Táchira

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriente_Petrolero

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_Universitario_de_Deportes

You'd have thought BT would buy highlights package: cheap, fills a time slot, and opens up a new market.

Absolutely. I was hoping after they started showing some Brazilian games on a Sunday night that they'd show more South American football.

I tend to watch a fair bit of it on the Bet365 app, but it would be so much better with some proper TV coverage.

I have absolutely no idea but I'd say Boca are favourites (especially if they sign Gaitan). Saying that I'll stick my neck out and say Independiente. They play really good football and have an excellent coach who seems to be using the Barco money sensibly.

For an outside bet I'd say Atletico Nacional. I'll also mention The Strongest: don't think they will win it, but they have a good chance of getting out their group and then who knows (especially as they play in La Paz).

The problem with predicting who will win the Libertadores is knowing which teams will have kept the majority of their players after the Summer transfer window. Not easy.

Reactions: Mez
I just don't think there is the demand. Lets take FF as an example: how many posters read the 2017 Libertadores thread? How many people listened to the Pod, previewing the final, compared to others?

I find it sad because this is the most competitive, interesting and fcuked up cup competition going but apart from an interested (insane) few, outside South America, nobody really cares.
I'd post about it if I watched.
I don't really do podcasts though.

I'd imagine many more would get involved if they had access to the games.
I'd be more inclined to get involved in the chat around a tournament if I actually knew how it was going.

I have absolutely no idea but I'd say Boca are favourites (especially if they sign Gaitan). Saying that I'll stick my neck out and say Independiente. They play really good football and have an excellent coach who seems to be using the Barco money sensibly.

For an outside bet I'd say Atletico Nacional. I'll also mention The Strongest: don't think they will win it, but they have a good chance of getting out their group and then who knows (especially as they play in La Paz).

The problem with predicting who will win the Libertadores is knowing which teams will have kept the majority of their players after the Summer transfer window. Not easy.

I was thinking Boca, but it seemed too obvious a choice!

I'd post about it if I watched.
I don't really do podcasts though.

I'd imagine many more would get involved if they had access to the games.
I'd be more inclined to get involved in the chat around a tournament if I actually knew how it was going.

I understand what you are saying, the situation isn't ideal, but it only takes a bit of effort to find highlights/reportage of every game. I'll certainly post what I can and hopefully others will do the same.

I only posted from the knockout stages of last seasons tournament so I've no idea how popular this type of thread will be (probably as bad as the Argieball one :D ) but I'd rather follow this tournament than the Champions League. Yes, the European version has better players, better teams, more glamour etc...but for me as a tournament it isn't as good. The Libertadores has far more passion, is way more unpredictable, not as sanatised etc.........Maybe it's because I'm getting old, but I'm sick of knowing (pretty much) who is going to get to the semis before a ball has been kicked.

So come on board. Pick one team and follow them through the tournament. Worst case scenario: you chuck it after a few games.

Highlights from the second leg of two of the first qualifying round ties:

The Universitario - Petrolero game looked a pretty exciting watch. Some dodgy keeping on both sides but what was the Universitario keeper playing at? Doubt he'll be going out in Lima any time soon.

All the results from last night's games:

http://www.livescore.com/soccer/south-america/

Olimpia, Tachira and Oriente Petrolero go through to the second qualifying round.

Last edited:
Watched the first half of the Carabobo - Guarani match. Pretty poor quality, being played in an almost empty stadium - all the fans are in the main stand behind the camera. 1-0 to Carabobo with Guarani down to 10 men. The Venezualan's have a real chance of putting this tie to bed if they go for it.

Edit: Ref is pretty poor - blowing for everything.

Last edited:
Tachira v Santa Fe 2nd Round Qualifying tie has just started for anyone interested. 10 minutes in and it's 1-1.

The second legs of the 2nd qualifying round start tonight. At the moment Guarani are winning 1-0 against Carabobo (1-1 agg).

Third qualifying round:

Santiago Wanderers
23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png
G1
23px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png
Santa Fe 13 Feb 20 Feb
Banfield
23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png
G2
23px-Flag_of_Uruguay.svg.png
Nacional 14 Feb 21 Feb
Vasco da Gama
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
G3
22px-Flag_of_Bolivia.svg.png
Jorge Wilstermann 14 Feb 21 Feb
Junior
23px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png
G4
23px-Flag_of_Paraguay.svg.png
Guaraní 15 Feb 22 Feb

River Plate and Flamengo in same group too....hope someone picks up TV rights.
I think it is an absolute disgrace that the Libertadores is not covered in this country when you get shite like the Conference (or whatever it is called now) and the womens' league (sorry if that upsets the feminist brigade).

It shows up Britain for the myopic country it is, in footballing terms.

Over in Porto Alegre in April, hopeful of catching a Gremio game, via Tricolor!

If you manage to get to a match FF expects (demands :D) some photos from our Gemio correspondent.

Have a great time in Porto Alegre.

You watching the Recopa 1st leg tonight against Independiente?

If you manage to get to a match FF expects (demands :D) some photos from our Gemio correspondent.

Have a great time in Porto Alegre.

You watching the Recopa 1st leg tonight against Independiente?
Cheers, I think the kick off is midnight so I might still be up:D

BT used to have coverage of this a few years ago, I remember watching a few games back then. I’m guessing the viewing figures must of been poor and they never bothered renewing the deal.

BT used to have coverage of this a few years ago, I remember watching a few games back then. I’m guessing the viewing figures must of been poor and they never bothered renewing the deal.

I assume so although I can't say for definite.

Latest posts

Back