Copper guilty of Manslaughter of Dalian Atkinson

From the Guardian

“The judge said the jury should acquit Monk of murder if they were “not sure that Mr Monk intended to kill Mr Atkinson or intended to cause him really serious injury”. The judge said they should convict the officer of manslaughter “if you are sure that that force was an act which any reasonable person would realise was bound to subject another human being to the risk of physical harm”.”

Thanks for that mate, explains the context and legal process. I guess if there is no proof he intended to kill the lad then the Judge has a duty to direct the jury in this way.

No allegedly - he has been convicted the only thing in contention was his intent. That cop is a killer - fact!
I believe the jury made a mistake - he may not have had intent to kill but with 2 kicks he had intent to do serious harm so it should have been murder. Some on jury must have felt cops should be judged to a different standard as you obviously do.
I believe cops should be held to a higher standard
This is the point I was trying to make rather badly.
This is a professional and trained individual who is in a serious position of power. He is trained in safe restraint techniques, has non lethal but powerful equipment (taxer) he can use if appropriate and follows tried and tested procedures when deciding what is appropriate force.
Now if he was in fear of his life I would have no problem with using lethal force and I would support that 100% but the initial restraint phase was clearly over here according to witnesses, and he then made a conscious decision to inflict lethal force on a defenceless man, that’s murder in my book form a moral standpoint but I appreciate it isn’t in the eyes of the law.

This is just a killer who managed to get into a Police uniform, a very dangerous situation.

Thanks for that mate, explains the context and legal process. I guess if there is no proof he intended to kill the lad then the Judge has a duty to direct the jury in this way.
With a second kick any right minded individual would believe he intended to cause serious harm which makes it murder - the jury were poorly directed!

If he was that much of a handful why hasn't he waited for back up to do it safely. I know a couple of people when getting arrested the first 2 officers stand and wait for another 2 to arrive before engaging.

Should have been second degree murder at least.

Tasered him for 33 seconds solid and then kicked fuck out his head twice afterwards.

Only in this bizarro world could that ever be deemed fuckin manslaughter...

If he was that much of a handful why hasn't he waited for back up to do it safely. I know a couple of people when getting arrested the first 2 officers stand and wait for another 2 to arrive before engaging.
I think perhaps the need for action outweighed the ability to wait. It’s a tough judgement call if other persons are at risk of harm.

Watching the report, did anyone see the woman officer taser the guy in the petrol station? I mean wtf?? No warning, nothing just straight out with it. I thought it was the last line of defence? His little boys scream gave me the fear!

Should have been second degree murder at least.

Tasered him for 33 seconds solid and then kicked fuck out his head twice afterwards.

Only in this bizarro world could that ever be deemed fuckin manslaughter...

Degrees of murder don’t exist under English law.

It’s all well and good judging the Officer after the fact, no one can accurately state what occurred and in what sequence in any given situation, strikes me as the officer went over the top but unless I was there I wouldn’t know definitively, all that can be done is the police investigate, the CPS charge and the court does its job, it appears this has happened in this case. Some of the comment around higher standards and murder are knee jerk, the law applies to us all equally.

For those saying he should have been convicted of murder for kicking the victim to the head, only those who have heard all the evidence in it’s entirety can possibly judge. Even stabbing someone to death doesn’t always result in a murder conviction but one of culpable homicide (Scots law equivalent to manslaughter).

Tasering someone for 33 seconds is more than outrageous, then kicking a man who's unconscious is also outrageous.
He took this man's life therefore should serve life until he dies . I would definitely bring back hanging for evil cunts like him .

Disgraceful - it should have been murder and he should have got life.
A thug in a uniform that should have been fired years before when they found out he lied on his application about being a thief and a drunk

No allegedly - he has been convicted the only thing in contention was his intent. That cop is a killer - fact!
I believe the jury made a mistake - he may not have had intent to kill but with 2 kicks he had intent to do serious harm so it should have been murder. Some on jury must have felt cops should be judged to a different standard as you obviously do.
I believe cops should be held to a higher standard
You need to have intent to kill to commit murder though, so you have kind of proven why he was convicted of the lesser offence as that was easily proven.

There is only one law and everyone is judged by it equally (in theory).

The very fact everyone on here is debating what the offence is, is the reason why they went for the lesser offence.

You need to have intent to kill to commit murder though, so you have kind of proven why he was convicted of the lesser offence as that was easily proven.

There is only one law and everyone is judged by it equally (in theory).

The very fact everyone on here is debating what the offence is, is the reason why they went for the lesser offence.
You only need intent to do serious harm not kill to be found guilty of murder - two kicks to the head more than satisfies intent to do serious harm the jury were poorly directed

Back